X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webzine down

:mad for how long

Re: Webzine down

I was just wondering that myself. It's been down for some time now, and that fact didn't go unnoticed by chesstalkers.

Communication is a serious issue at all levels of the CFC. I don't see any notice or explanation to members about what the problem is or when it is expected to be fixed.

Can somebody at the CFC please say something ? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any communication from CFC executive or staff on either the website of public discussion board. An apology and/or explanation to the membership would seem appropriate.

Comment

According to a post by John Coleman on the CFC board, he received an email from the CFC office stating that the webzine is suspended and undergoing operational review.

In other words, "It's dead Jim".

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post

Steve
        No, it's pining for the fjords. It wishes it were back home in Bella Coola.

Incidentally--the appearance and timing of Kevin Spraggett's blog. Kevin is a competitive guy (in the nicest way, of course), and I bet he was seeing if one person could do a better website than the CFC, stripped down to its still pretty considerable resources. Round 1 and Round 2 clearly go to Kevin. You might even call it a TKO victory, as CFC hasn't appeared for this round. Under new FIDE rules, we have a new web champion--Kevin Spraggett!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post

Steve
          Maybe it just went to a better place.

Never mind it's an inanimate object!

I wonder if my "depression" thread gets more hits than the Webzine.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Is there any immediate cure for this problem? Lets go straight to the point.
            Any advices or tips for that?
            :)

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
              We don't know why the webzine is down. Is it down for repairs, upgrades, technical difficulties, suspended, discontinued or what ?

Communication, communication, communication !!!

Comment

In case anyone thinks I have a special "in" with the CFC, I was trying to get something posted on the webzine, hence the email from the office.

Basic HTML is easy enough. Making the webzine do clever things is more difficult. I think we should start with the basics, and add features.

Comment

The real question is whether the webzine would go "fwoosh" if you put 50,000 volts through it.

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not an electrician....

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                    I read Spaggett's Blog. It tends to be easy on the eyes and I'm entertained, even if I don't read the words.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                      It's been down for some time now.
                      The word 'down' is incorrect. There is still a url: http://members.chess.ca/

Apparently the CFC would like everyone to: Please notify the System Administrator --- no address given. Incidentally, what is the address of the CFC these days?

In other words --- help!

Comment

I got my chess magazine from the Canadian Correspondence Chess Association today. It came in the mail.

A chess magazine is still alive and well in Canada. You just have to join the right chess organization to get one.

http://www.correspondencechess.com/ccca/index.htm
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          I got my chess magazine from the Canadian Correspondence Chess Association today. It came in the mail.

A chess magazine is still alive and well in Canada. You just have to join the right chess organization to get one.

http://www.correspondencechess.com/ccca/index.htm
                          What the CFC has done in the past few years is best viewed as punishment to its members. Other punishments: Taking away a great magazine. Taking away services that were once provided , ie. books and equipment ordered with advise from staff. ( yes this far beats ordering materials without human advise ) Dealing with a once dignified organization, not like dealing with a fly- by-night organization which meanders about the country like an aimless caravan and has no home.

But taking away the webzine does not come as a punishment. In fact , this most recent decision comes as a tremendous favour to its members -- abolishing the eye-straining, twisting, turning, dead-end rubbish. ( my opinion - sorry )

The Canadian Correspondence Chess Association is an excellent option ! We all need to read quality chess material produced in a tidy and concise format for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                            I read Spaggett's Blog. It tends to be easy on the eyes and I'm entertained, even if I don't read the words.
                            Hi Gary,
                            What is so entertaining in those words, can you share that with us, please?

Regards,

Caesar

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Cheron View Post
                              We all need to read quality chess material produced in a tidy and concise format for a change.
                              What portion of your CFC membership would you willing to transfer example for Hébert parle échecs if it was translated to English? (very bad assumption that French is not your favorite) Personally, I find it very nice formatted with a good content which I can not enjoy fully due to unfamiliar language.

Jonathan Berry wrote above "we have a new web champion--Kevin Spraggett!". I disagree. The signal (i.e., chess content)-to-noise ratio is very low for the Kevin's blog.

Comment

Working...
                              X