Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When a thread is closed...

Tom,

Based on what I have read of the actual story itself, it seems that both Peter and his wife had some serious psychological issues that went on far too long without being addressed. Peter's disappearance is one sign that he was in a desparate situation and not thinking things through or weighing all of his options, and his wife's own testimony as to how she reacted every step of the way throughout the entire investigation are definite signs that she has some severe issues that also need to be addressed.

I agree that it would be beneficial for both parties of a marriage or relationship to keep some form of financial security available in case of estrangement. However, I believe that the key to any strong marriage or relationship is constructive communication. It is clear to me that there was very little if any constructive communication between Peter and his wife for quite some time before his disappearance.

Jordan
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
      How about someone pointed out the flaws of KS for a change instead of letting his attacks go unanswered?
      Brian,

With all due respect, this is precisely what's wrong with the chess community, as well as many other communities I imagine.

A man disappeared and his family is left in dire need, however rather than coming together to try to do something positive to try to help the family, the chess community focuses on he-said-she-said and pointing fingers.

Why do you or anyone else really care what Kevin Spraggett said? Kevin Spraggett is entitled to his opinion as is everyone else. Whether his opinions are right or not makes no difference whatsoever to the issue that the family is facing.

If you find what Kevin Spraggett said wrong or offensive, then either take Gary's advice and don't read it, or send Kevin an e-mail with your questions or comments.

What purpose does asking everyone's opinion on Kevin Spraggett's opinion serve?

Jordan
      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
        I second that thought.
        Gang mentality :p

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
          Brian,

With all due respect, this is precisely what's wrong with the chess community, as well as many other communities I imagine.

A man disappeared and his family is left in dire need, however rather than coming together to try to do something positive to try to help the family, the chess community focuses on he-said-she-said and pointing fingers.

Why do you or anyone else really care what Kevin Spraggett said? Kevin Spraggett is entitled to his opinion as is everyone else. Whether his opinions are right or not makes no difference whatsoever to the issue that the family is facing.

If you find what Kevin Spraggett said wrong or offensive, then either take Gary's advice and don't read it, or send Kevin an e-mail with your questions or comments.

What purpose does asking everyone's opinion on Kevin Spraggett's opinion serve?

Jordan
          Peter's life is a private affair. It is not the chess communities business. We should not be commenting on it publically. I don't think I have commented on it.
          I have not asked peoples opinion on KS. I just wrote something about him that I thought was true. With the evidence I have, what I wrote seems reasonable. If he or anyone else doesn't like it, they don't have to read my posts, some of which were deleted by the moderator, who shows no rhyme or reason to what he allows or does not allow.

Why do I care what KS says? Because he lets loose a constant stream of attacks on people who do not deserve it. You should care too.

Comment

Correction: None of my posts were deleted. But to allow some of this discussion and not all of it is still wrong. Anything about Peter S. is not chess and should not be posted.

Comment

... Why do I care what KS says? Because he lets loose a constant stream of attacks on people who do not deserve it. You should care too.
              I agree 100%.
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Why do I care what KS says? Because he lets loose a constant stream of attacks on people who do not deserve it. You should care too.
                Brian,

By responding to the attacks (hence caring), you do nothing more than reward and feed the attacker.

Let me ask you this: Was there ever a time that you can recall when KS apologized / recanted / stopped attacking someone as a direct result of him coming to the realization that he may have been wrong in any way?

When you come to the conclusion (as I have) that nothing you or anyone else says or does will stop a person from saying or doing what he wants, then maybe you will (as I have) stop caring about what he says or does and simply ignore him. Then whatever the person says or does won't matter because you will be giving him all the attention he deserves: none.

If everyone else follows suit, and KS's statements fill nothing more than a cyberspace void, then either he will stop the attacks, or he will learn to enjoy posting to no one. Let him blog all he wants... if no one reads it, will it really matter?

Do you now understand what I mean about not caring?

Jordan

Comment

I agree 100%.
                  More gang mentality

Peter, you're making this too fun and easy :p

Enjoy your weekend, buddy! :D

Comment

By responding to the attacks (hence caring), you do nothing more than reward and feed the attacker.
                    Most people fully understand of the notion of "Don't feed the troll."

That sentiment would be relevant if K.S. were just another internet loudmouth and/or sockpuppet of the sort that frequents places like the former OCC board and has no credibility outside that narrow forum. K.S. is *not* such an entity. See the recent controversy about "Sandra from Toronto".

Do you now understand what I mean about not caring?
                    Well, some people choose to care. And I would remind you of this quote:

"All that is required for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                      Most people fully understand of the notion of "Don't feed the troll."

That sentiment would be relevant if K.S. were just another internet loudmouth and/or sockpuppet of the sort that frequents places like the former OCC board and has no credibility outside that narrow forum. K.S. is *not* such an entity. See the recent controversy about "Sandra from Toronto".

Well, some people choose to care. And I would remind you of this quote:

"All that is required for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Steve
                      and in Bosnia we had another quote appropriate for the situation, in rough translation - 'Don't poke dried manure with a stick, it will smell worse.'

Comment

Hi Jordan. I like your sign-off line. You've made a lot of good points in your posts in this thread and, in general, I think your and Tom's approach is best - seriously - I'm not trying to be patronizing. However, one approach doesn't necessarily fit all situations. When you're dealing with someone who is highly intelligent and who should know better but who seems, at times, to enjoy maliciously and vindictively victimizing people unjustly, you need to stand up to that person. You need to stand up for the sake of the victim. Consider how you might feel if you had freely contributed hundreds of hours of your time over the years to things like organizing chess tournaments, or representing Canada at FIDE meetings, etc., and then one irresponsible person with a high profile attacks your reputation unfairly, publicly and arbitrarily. And then consider how you might feel if no one, not even one of the scores of people who had played in and enjoyed your tournaments over the years, would stand up to the bully to refute his lies or point out your positive contributions. I don't think it's fair to leave some poor victim swinging at the end of a rope because nobody has the guts to stand up to the bully.

My two cents.
                        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

[blundered]
                          Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Friday, 2nd October, 2009, 11:26 PM. Reason: cleared

Comment

Hi. I wasn't referring to J.H. or H.B.

Comment

Hi. I wasn't referring to J.H. or H.B.
                              All the same, I think the point is reasonable. J.H.'s critical analysis of the event was not very tactful, and would have been better received (I hope) if it had been less blunt and accusatory.

Spraggett's drivel is endless, without basis, inflammatory and clueless. He should stick to commenting on chess (which I grant he does know something about) instead of trying to outdo even Frank Dixon when it comes to digging up past grievances...

I have listened to K.S.'s chess lecture, played him in a simul and otherwise observed his demeanor when dealing with people in person - in those instances, he appears to interact well and in a civil manner. Why he choses to write such crap on his blog is beyond me.

Anyway, when I started this thread, it was to request a simple procedural change when a thread is closed: perhaps the board admins can grant my wish and apply the suggestion to this thread (now way off topic as is often the case!)
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hi #1a. I think I'm getting a bit confused here (not at all unusual :)). I took Egidijus' comments to mean that he thought I was lumping JH and KS into the same category and, if that was the case, that I was incorrect to do so because Egidijus felt JH had valid criticisms/suggestions. I agree with Egidijus' comments about JH having valid criticisms/suggestions and I most certainly was **NOT** lumping JH in with KS. I guess I should have been more explicit in my reply to Egidijus. JH may be brutally frank at times but never have I seen him attack someone's reputation by trying to unload a pack of cruel lies. JH strikes me as being a highly principled person. In my opinion, old what's-his-name is the opposite.

Regards,

#1b
                                Last edited by Peter McKillop; Friday, 2nd October, 2009, 10:35 PM. Reason: betty boop

Comment

Working...
                                X