Canada welcomes GM Evgeny Bareev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canada welcomes GM Evgeny Bareev

The article should be more specific about "junior" (i.e. generally means U20 or U21) as in the "three world junior chess champions that Canada has produced in the last five years". Canada won the U14 Girls in 2014 (Qiyu Zhou), the U10 Boys in 2010 (Jason Cao), and the U08 Girls in 2013 (Harmony Zhu). Only two in the last five years.

Comment

Does anyone know how he can be contacted about lessons? If he has a website, it's not easy to find ....

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Waldorf View Post
        Does anyone know how he can be contacted about lessons? If he has a website, it's not easy to find ....
        Yes, I know how he can be contacted, but as far as I know, his schedule is full.
        Anyway, if you send me email, I can forward it to GM Bareev.
        You can find my email address on CFC website:
        http://chess.ca/governors-page

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          Excellent!

So we can now update the rating list on the CFC site. It will look like this (Evgeny played in the CFC rated Kitchener norms event) >>>>

1 Bareev, Evgeny Toronto, Ont ............2708
          2 Hansen, Eric Calgary, AB ..................2637
          3 Preotu, Razvan Burlington, ON ..........2607
          4 Sambuev, Bator Montreal, QC ...........2599
          5 Noritsyn, Nikolay Richmond Hill, ON...2578
          6 Hambleton, Aman Ottawa, ON ..........2575
          7 Krnan, Tomas Burlington, ON ............2562
          Almost 3000 views and nobody cares that he put my name even after Razvan. Could he mix up CFC and FQE ratings accidentally? I have only one question: why not FIDE rating? In this case I wouldn't be on the list. And you guys only noticed the absence of Kovalyov. Now I see why I am not in the National team. I always thought that it's a big honor to represent country. Compare to this: "I don't plan to play next year unless I am compensated for my time." I think I am the only GM now who was ready (and proved that) to play anytime and anywhere. Of course, I'd prefer to get paid but, in the end, you represent your country. Well, if I'm not welcomed I will never play for the National team again. Thank you for giving me a chance to participate in Olympiad.
          Last edited by Bator Sambuev; Thursday, 26th May, 2016, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bator Sambuev View Post
            Almost 3000 views and nobody cares that he put my name even after Razvan. Could he mix up CFC and FQE ratings accidentally? I have only one question: why not FIDE rating?.
            Vlad took ratings standings for SEPTEMBER 08, 2015. At that time your rating was indeed 2599 (you lost ~10 points in Kitchener. After several days you got back at Montreal).
            Even now Kovalyov is still not on the CFC top rating list: http://www.chess.ca/players

Code:
            1	Bareev, Evgeny	Toronto, ON	2708	2015-08-04
            2	Sambuev, Bator	Montreal, QC	2639	2016-05-23
            3	Hansen, Eric	Calgary, AB	2626	2016-02-21
            4	Noritsyn, N.	R. Hill, ON	2614	2016-05-23
            5	Preotu, Razvan	Burlington, ON	2607	2016-05-07
            6	Gerzhoy, Leonid	Toronto, ON	2560	2015-07-16
            7	Samsonkin, A.	Toronto, ON	2557	2016-05-23
            8	Hambleton, Aman	Ottawa, ON	2547	2016-05-01
            9	Krnan, Tomas	Burlington, ON	2534	2016-03-27
            10	Le Siege, A.	Montreal, QC	2530	2015-11-09

Comment

To clarify, this is the rating list for the top 10, from the CFC website, with the date of the player's last event:

1 Bareev, Evgeny Toronto, ON 2708 2015-08-04
              2 Sambuev, Bator Montreal, QC 2639 2016-05-23
              3 Hansen, Eric Calgary, AB 2626 2016-02-21
              4 Noritsyn, Nikolay Richmond Hill, ON 2614 2016-05-23
              5 Preotu, Razvan Burlington, ON 2607 2016-05-07
              6 Gerzhoy, Leonid Toronto, ON 2560 2015-07-16
              7 Samsonkin, Artiom Toronto, ON 2557 2016-05-23
              8 Hambleton, Aman Ottawa, ON 2547 2016-05-01
              9 Krnan, Tomas Burlington, ON 2534 2016-03-27
              10 Le Siege, Alexandre Montreal, QC 2530 2015-11-09

The Olympic team consists of

Canadian Champion
              IM T.Krnan 2449--2569--2509

3 players from the rating list
              GM E.Bareev 2675--2708--2691.5
              GM A.Kovalyov 2623--2653--2638
              GM E.Hansen 2586--2648--2617

1 choice from the selection committee
              GM A.LeSiege 2528--2577--2552.5

The selection committee does not have to give its reasoning for its choice.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                To clarify,

The selection committee does not have to give its reasoning for its choice.
                That this nauseating statement can be repeated on an open board,
                speaks volumes why Canadian chess remains mired in the dark ages.

The RTI Act was promulgated world-wide to address corrosive
                injustices such as these - and what a difference it has made!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bator Sambuev View Post
                  Almost 3000 views and nobody cares that he put my name even after Razvan. Could he mix up CFC and FQE ratings accidentally? I have only one question: why not FIDE rating? In this case I wouldn't be on the list. And you guys only noticed the absence of Kovalyov. Now I see why I am not in the National team. I always thought that it's a big honor to represent country. Compare to this: "I don't plan to play next year unless I am compensated for my time." I think I am the only GM now who was ready (and proved that) to play anytime and anywhere. Of course, I'd prefer to get paid but, in the end, you represent your country. Well, if I'm not welcomed I will never play for the National team again. Thank you for giving me a chance to participate in Olympiad.
                  I don't understand the reasoning behind the Selection Committee's choice, but I would say that, with the possible exception of Kevin Spraggett, no other single player ever has made a bigger contribution to the increase in skill of the pool of Canadian players than you have.

Tremendous consistency, a never-say-die attitude and a willingness to play daredevil chess, all in one package. A great example for all serious players.

Thank you for that.
                  "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Kovalyov is probably not on the current top CFC ratings, since he has not played in a CFC-rated event since the 2014 Canadian Open. However (according to the Handbook rules) - he had played in more than 10 games rated either CFC or FIDE (in his case - FIDE-rated only) in the 12 months prior to March 1, 2016 ("the start of the selection process, 180 days before the start of the Olympiad").

Comment

For what its worth, I think Bator may have a valid point here.

Playing on the national team is about having Canadian players represent the team. Note the two separate factors (Canadian + players). While Alexandre is born and bread Canadian - I believe giving him an advantage to be selected - he has been very inactive (not really a player right now). It is hard to compare this to Bator, who is at literally every tournament taking on literally everyone for many years now. Bator is an immigrant, so his chess skills were honed in a superior/stronger (non-Canadian) chess environment before he got here. However, he has made Canada his home and played everywhere here, so it is hard to argue that he is not a big part of the Canadian Chess scene. Why are we not giving this recognition?

Instead we are crowing about having recent addition Bareev on the team, who has barely played in Canada. So we should dump another Russian GM that came in and switch our focus/support? That is poor form on our part. Bareev is a champion now of unmet proportions for Canada BUT, he is fairly inactive in Canadian chess and just barely now a Canadian chess player. He will come to make Canada his chess home just as Bator has in time. I think more seriously he will make incredible contributions to Canadian nationals in the coming years - and this will be his most inspired contribution. And Kovalyov, seriously? I don't think he should be on the team at all. He barely plays in Canada. If you want to put Alexandre in, replace Kovalyov with him.

The Canadian national team should have people who play in Canada and are Canadian, not mercenaries. Bator has proven he is Canadian Chess. What a mistake to ignore this. Instead we Canadians are showing support for higher numbers/chances for glory - no matter where it comes from, or how Canadian it is. We are also showing unclear reasons to support inactive players. Granted Lesiege was Canadian Champion, but we should give him at least a year of chess and include him perhaps in next years team when he is active.

Activity should be taken into account when assessing a player's eligibility for the national team. Objectively, the more active player is much more likely to be in better chess shape and ready to play at a higher level. The more active player is also a part of the Canadian Chess Scene. He slugs it out in various tournaments with paltry prizes in a chess environment that is a lot rougher than the majority of other chess playing countries. This is not very rewarding - unless we choose to give recognition!

Whether we are a fan or not of Bator as a person, I think this decision was not made as objectively as it should be.

For what its worth, Bator I think your time and effort and contributions to chess in Canada suggest strongly you should be on the team.

Mavros
                      Last edited by Mavros Whissell; Saturday, 28th May, 2016, 10:11 AM.

Comment

minimum games?

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                        I don't understand the reasoning behind the Selection Committee's choice...
                        From a chess point of view -- ratings, regular play, level of play in recent events -- it is a ridiculous decision.

Just to add something on a semi-related note which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere: is Bareev eligible to play for the Canadian Team? How many tournament games has he played in the eligibility period? I see only 9 games from Kitchener, and no others from FIDE or the FQE.

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                        with the possible exception of Kevin Spraggett, no other single player ever has made a bigger contribution to the increase in skill of the pool of Canadian players than you have.

Tremendous consistency, a never-say-die attitude and a willingness to play daredevil chess, all in one package. A great example for all serious players.

Thank you for that.
                        Agreed. Nobody since Igor Ivanov has played in so many events and done so well in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
                          That this nauseating statement can be repeated on an open board,
                          speaks volumes why Canadian chess remains mired in the dark ages.

The RTI Act was promulgated world-wide to address corrosive
                          injustices such as these - and what a difference it has made!!
                          I had to google RTI act (thanks for that provocation, btw) and now I see what you mean.
                          The selection process is arcane and could use serious overhaul... Every time Spraggett is selected
                          knowing full well that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell he would accept (maybe it is time to
                          rethink *why* that is the case - perhaps his long awaited tome on the state of chess in Canada will
                          reveal all).

I guess we have to take some consolation in the fact that the members of the selection committee
                          are at least *known* - in many places in the world (the RTI act notwithstanding) the selection
                          would be made by persons unknown - to add insult to injury.

The continuing struggle to include activity (number of games), CFC rating, FIDE rating, congeniality (lol),
                          etc make the selection process guaranteed to create anything but a team - even if 4 or 5 players were
                          unanimously selected there would likely be disharmony on some levels.

I find it sad that one of the strongest and the most active players in Canada is not selected.
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                            Vlad took ratings standings for SEPTEMBER 08, 2015. At that time your rating was indeed 2599 (you lost ~10 points in Kitchener. After several days you got back at Montreal).
                            Even now Kovalyov is still not on the CFC top rating list: http://www.chess.ca/players

Code:
                            1	Bareev, Evgeny	Toronto, ON	2708	2015-08-04
                            2	Sambuev, Bator	Montreal, QC	2639	2016-05-23
                            3	Hansen, Eric	Calgary, AB	2626	2016-02-21
                            4	Noritsyn, N.	R. Hill, ON	2614	2016-05-23
                            5	Preotu, Razvan	Burlington, ON	2607	2016-05-07
                            6	Gerzhoy, Leonid	Toronto, ON	2560	2015-07-16
                            7	Samsonkin, A.	Toronto, ON	2557	2016-05-23
                            8	Hambleton, Aman	Ottawa, ON	2547	2016-05-01
                            9	Krnan, Tomas	Burlington, ON	2534	2016-03-27
                            10	Le Siege, A.	Montreal, QC	2530	2015-11-09
                            In this case I should say sorry to Vlad. But it doesn't change second part of my post. If you chose Razvan I would get it. He is young and has a chance to become GM. I respect a lot Alexandre but currently I am stronger. There is no any objective reason (ratings, activity etc), so I come to conclusion that it's something personal.

Comment

Like most others, I was confused by the selection decision. As a Quebec citizen, I felt obliged to check out the French forum for more insight:

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...uipe-olympique

The general sentiment seemed to be that the decision was motivated by the CFC-FQE agreement. On the surface, having an FQE representative on the Selection Committee seems to a formality- there is no doubt that the Canadian team should have Quebec representation. However, a couple of posters have noted that the FQE may not consider yourself or GM Kovalyov to be Quebecois, i.e. this year's team would have had no Quebec representation without GM Lesiege!

Most people appreciate your active involvement in the chess community. Hopefully you will retain a desire to represent Canada in future olympiads.

Comment

Re: minimum games?

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                                From a chess point of view -- ratings, regular play, level of play in recent events -- it is a ridiculous decision.
                                I agree. The selection committee is just a bad idea. Throw it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X