Campbellville Open Chess Tournament Nov28, 29 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campbellville Open Chess Tournament Nov28, 29 2015

Hi all, its that time of year again for the Campbellville Open Chess Tourney. I will have the prereg list here at this thread. Hope to see you there. Your move! PRE REG LIST IS AT BOTTOM OF THIS POST!

2015 Campbellville Open

Mohawk Inn and Conference Centre,
    9230 Guelph Line, Campbellville
    L0P 1B0

Nov 28 & 29, 2015
    5 round swiss
    Sections: Open, U2000, U1600, U1200+Unrated
    Prizes: Open & U2000 - cash, U1600 & U1200 - Trophies
    Entry fee: Open $60, U2000 $50, U1600 & U1200 $40
    CFC membership required, all sections CFC rated
    Free entry for GM/IM if registered by Nov 22nd
    Register after Nov 24th - add $10 late fee
    Playing up? $10 extra, only if you within 200 points of rating floor
    Time Control: Rd 1 - 60 minutes SD, Rd 2-5 - 90 minutes plus 30 second increment
    Round times: Sat 10am, 1pm, 6pm, Sun 12pm, 5pm
    Tournament Director: Bob Gillanders

Lecture with Gordon Gooding - Essential Endgame Techniques (U1800)
    Sunday 11am, $10 per person

To preregister - email Gordon Gooding - miltonchess@hotmail.com
    Please bring your sets & clocks

Express lunch offer: register to play in tournament by Nov 19th and you will be eligible on Sat Nov 28 for a buffet style lunch of a burger, fries and a can of pop for $11.50 in the skittles room. You get lunch without having to stress about it. Saves you time, peace of mind. Please mention the lunch special in your email to me. There may be availability after the Nov 19th deadline but it wont be $11.50 or lower in price, hint hint. The Mohawk Chophouse is not a fast food restaurant, hint hint. I strongly recommend you take advantage of this offer I have negotiated with the restaurant.

Pre reg list, as of nov 26, 22:50. Ratings will be checked again on the Thursday before the tournament.

Open

Stephan Tonakanian 2198
    Anthony Maulucci 2007
    Eugene Hua 2198
    Daniel Liu 2004
    FM Konstantin Dolgitser 2261
    Zhanhe (Lambert) Liu 1995
    Adam Cormier 2116

David Filipovich 2158

Nicholas Vettese 2263
    Chike Jude Aniunoh 2066

U2000
    Thomas Bark 1988
    Anthony Atanasov 1553
    Ralph Deline 1786
    Jiarong Zhu 1602
    Andrew Plunkett 1893
    Richard Glew 1692
    Doug Gillis 1625
    Max Rusonik 1586
    Ronan Uthayakumar 1616
    Raymond Franke 1656
    Victor Itkin 1678
    Yuri Cheryachukin 1906
    Yuen Tak Mok 1903
    Rob Gashgarian 1734
    John Vlasov 1848
    Lee Hendon 1527
    Eric Ning 1432

Mario Moran Venegas 1756
    Dorain Kang 1454
    Brain Clarke 1641
    Alex Friedman 1918
    Andrew Colvin 1752
    Daniel DenBok 1706
    Max Chen 1607
    Zaynah Bhanji 1403
    Allyson Xu 1494
    Constance Wang 1781
    Don Gareau 1595
    Mate Milinkovic 1845
    Mario Piccinin 1840
    Benito Surya 1906

U1600

David Atanasov 1426
    Philip Davies 1485
    Robert Beaubien 1468
    Sophie Wang 1434
    Austin Xie 1236
    Emma He 1270
    Kousihan Balachandran 1226

Manojh Sivapathasundaram 1598
    Harry (Siqi) Chen 1252
    Areez Bhanji 1235
    Joseph Liao 1292
    Henry Liu 1032

Malhar Singh 1413
    Jamie MacInnis 1259

U1200 and unrated

Kushina Singhania
    Vikram Singhania
    Atharva Srinivas 985
    Kevin Sun 1067
    Jason Huot
    Eric Li 738
    Caden Zhang 453
    Jason Gadoutsis
    Andrew Gadoutsis

Zack Dinatolo 1180

Nithusa Sivapathasundaram 564
    Veronica Bater
    Alexander Fedyushchenko 1029

Jerry McKitrick 960
    Allan She 1073
    Yu Xiang (Howard) Gong 1019
    Ming Yu Ren 1171
    Zhixing (Daniel) Wang 813
    Last edited by Gordon Gooding; Friday, 27th November, 2015, 11:13 PM.

Re: Campbellville Open Chess Tournament Nov28, 29 2015

Time control - 3 games on saturday.

After the Mississauga Open, there was much debate about having 3 games in one day. A few argued that 3 games in one day was too much, but subsequently I have received more comments in favour of 3 games. So, we came to a compromise, the first round has been shortened, and the round start times are now more realistic.

Please preregister sooner rather than later, it helps us plan the event. Thanks.
    If you do preregister then must cancel, no problem, we understand.

Comment

Just a reminder that IMs and GMs get free entry if they register by Nov 22nd.

Comment

I highly recommend the endgame technique lecture with Gordon on sunday morning for all you kids (and adults too). Gord makes the study of endgame entertaining. Confidence in your endgame can carry right thru to the opening move.

Comment

The U1200 section should read U1200 & unrated. :)

Comment

I am thinking of selling some of my chess books at this tourney. Anyone interested in buying used chess books in good to excellent condition? Time is ticking away. Your move.

Comment

Remember, we have made round one shorter than the others so that the Sat is not too brutal a day. Should mean that you should be able to go the distance if you dare! Remember fortune favors the brave!

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Gooding View Post
                Remember, we have made round one shorter than the others so that the Sat is not too brutal a day. Should mean that you should be able to go the distance if you dare! Remember fortune favors the brave!

Hey guys the countdown is on. Remember the nice site, the restaurant next door, the awesome organizers, okay that was too far. We do have a reputation of starting on time for the years we have been doing this! Dont forget the endgame lecture suited for beginners to imtermediate level on Sunday morning. Please see the flyer on the first page for details. Im sure anyone in this range will learn something!

Comment

This is the 1st time I have seen an organizer allow people rated 200 points below a rating floor to play up.

Wow so no a player rated 1401 can play in the u2000 section!

Why even have rating sections at all than!

Comment

Originally posted by Mate Milinkovic View Post
                    Not everyone wants to play up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mate Milinkovic View Post
                      This is the 1st time I have seen an organizer allow people rated 200 points below a rating floor to play up.

Wow so no a player rated 1401 can play in the u2000 section!

It's an experiment we are trying out. There will be a few daredevils who will want to try their luck against the odds. Let's see those who are brave enough to try. Odds are against them, but you never know if a rising star may shoot forth. Besides, there is even more pressure for the stronger side not to lose (is a draw pretty much a loss to the stronger player?), those with an ego especially. I must confess to having enjoyed seen the faces of opponents in disbelief of having lost to me even though I was many rating points less on paper. That alone is worth the extra $10 to play up a section! That doesnt happen much now, this was when i was less well known then.
                      Last edited by Gordon Gooding; Tuesday, 10th November, 2015, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Hotel rooms at a discount rate.

Hi all,

The normal rate for the Sat night at the Mohawk Inn, is $110 for the room (two beds if I am not mistaken). I have secured a couple of rooms for $95. If you mention the tournament up until the Thursday before the tourney and secure the room with your credit card, you will get this rate $95 for Sat night of Nov 28. If you are one of the first who books the room before Nov 20th , you will get a cot at no extra charge, that is three beds for $95. Thats only $32 plus taxes per head for one night. Think of how short the commute is from the hotel to the site! There are only one or two rooms with the cot offer so dont delay.
                        Last edited by Gordon Gooding; Tuesday, 10th November, 2015, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Gooding View Post
                          It's an experiment we are trying out. There will be a few daredevils who will want to try their luck against the odds. Let's see those who are brave enough to try. Odds are against them, but you never know if a rising star may shoot forth. Besides, there is even more pressure for the stronger side not to lose (is a draw pretty much a loss to the stronger player?), those with an ego especially. I must confess to having enjoyed seen the faces of opponents in disbelief of having lost to me even though I was many rating points less on paper. That alone is worth the extra $10 to play up a section! That doesnt happen much now, this was when i was less well known then.
                          There is another side of the coin that is not being mentioned. Some players travel some distance to play chess and that's not cheap, then some stay over in a hotel, and there are the tournament fees also, so at the end of the day(s), when it is all broken down, each game is worth a good chunk of cash.

Nobody I know really enjoys an easy game. Back in the day, class sections didn't have players playing up. When you played in your section, you were guaranteed that all your games should be against someone of the same approximate strength. Now, when players about 200 points below the next section are allowed to play up, you have totally ignored taking the stronger player in consideration.

I agree with Mate, why have sections at all? With an Open tournament you then can expect a soft pairing in the first round if you are a higher rated player.

Comment

Ralph, Mississauga Open 2015 had the same rule, you could play up if you were within 200 points of rating floor.

Here are the results of those who played up:

Open - 7 players
                            Average rating: 1870
                            Performance rating: 2003

U2000 - 8 players
                            Average rating: 1505
                            Performance rating: 1607

U1600 - 6 players
                            Average rating: 1087
                            Performance rating: 1212

Those eager beavers playing up are not so weak as you may think!

Comment

Part of the "problem" relating to rating sections could be the number of kids who participate in the tournaments. That is, often kids are under-rated as their CFC ratings lag behind their actual playing strength. For years I have had "good" games against kids, (Fritz would often say that no tactical shots were overlooked although each side missed opportunities to take the initiative),so a draw was a good result. While the game may have been enjoyable for me, I often lost 15 rating points for the experience, and the downward spiral in terms of my own CFC rating continued. As I understand, the CFC has tried to address this situation by giving the kids bonus points to get their ratings more reflective of their actual playing strength sooner rather than later.

Comment

Working...
                              X