Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Campbellville Open Chess Tournament Nov28, 29 2015

Hi all,

Just a reminder about the lunch express offer for Nov 28 at the tourney. Details of this express lunch offer are on the first post with tourney details. The deadline to get the express lunch for $11.50 ends on Thursday. I urge you not to procrastinate too long. Be a chess player, make a move.

Comment

Pre Reg list is on the first post with the tourney details at the bottom.

Comment

Free Lunch Lottery !!

Hi all. I like surprises, so here is one for you now. Anyone who has taken me up on the Nov 28th express lunch offer before the end of today, Nov 19th, will be automatically entered for a raffle to get their money back for one express lunch offer. I have personally contacted each registrant via the email they registered with, inquiring of their interest/ reminding them of the express lunch offer. We will draw two names at random of all qualified entries at the beginning of round 3.

Now who doesnt like a free lunch?

Comment

Thanks for understanding Hal.
          The 200 point play up option totally makes it unattractive for me to play in the u2000 section. Looking at the pre registered list for the u2000 section for the tournament there is only one player rated over 1800. There are plenty of 1600s and a few 1500s.
          The u2000 section has effectively become a u1700 section.

I like to travel to tournaments to play players around my rating. Playing players every round that are 200 points or more below your rating you dont get much increase for beating them. You have to score 3 out of 4 against such oppostion to not lose rating points.

This leaves me with only one option than. I would in turn have to play up a section and annoy the open rated players. They really dont want to play me as any result but a win against me would cost them alot of points and a win against me would not give them much rating gain.

This 200 point playing up idea just dilutes the strength of all the sections. The u2000 section is basically a u1700 section and the open section now feels like a u2100 section.

Comment

Originally posted by Mate Milinkovic View Post
            Thanks for understanding Hal.
            The 200 point play up option totally makes it unattractive for me to play in the u2000 section. Looking at the pre registered list for the u2000 section for the tournament there is only one player rated over 1800. There are plenty of 1600s and a few 1500s.
            The u2000 section has effectively become a u1700 section.

I like to travel to tournaments to play players around my rating. Playing players every round that are 200 points or more below your rating you dont get much increase for beating them. You have to score 3 out of 4 against such oppostion to not lose rating points.

This leaves me with only one option than. I would in turn have to play up a section and annoy the open rated players. They really dont want to play me as any result but a win against me would cost them alot of points and a win against me would not give them much rating gain.

This 200 point playing up idea just dilutes the strength of all the sections. The u2000 section is basically a u1700 section and the open section now feels like a u2100 section.

I understand your point. Like I said, this is an experiment. Let the results speak for themselves. I will review the turnout and next tourney I run, I may revert to the normal way of things. I like to try things not normal because there is a chance it may lead to a better result for one party or another. For example, my efforts to offer lunches at my tourneys, some included in the entry fee, when compared to other tourneys (one day actives) is a bargain. The express lunch offer in this tourney will save players the hassle of trying to order from the restaurant and having their lunch in the one hour provided for lunch. I dont think this is the normal duties of a chess organizer or that the majority of organizers are doing this. Of course, I dont play much nowadays so I could be wrong, :)

Comment

"The express lunch offer in this tourney will save players the hassle of trying to order from the restaurant and having their lunch in the one hour provided for lunch."

As a tournament organizer, surely you jest? Chess players enter a tournament to get good games against their peers. The opportunity to score an upset against a higher rated player is an out-lier, that may bring an orgasmic experience to the underdog, but otherwise just annoys everyone. The rating system , flawed though it may be, is an honest attempt to seed players, used in all sports. You have to earn your place in the elite tournaments, very simple.
              Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
                "The express lunch offer in this tourney will save players the hassle of trying to order from the restaurant and having their lunch in the one hour provided for lunch."

As a tournament organizer, surely you jest? Chess players enter a tournament to get good games against their peers. The opportunity to score an upset against a higher rated player is an out-lier, that may bring an orgasmic experience to the underdog, but otherwise just annoys everyone. The rating system , flawed though it may be, is an honest attempt to seed players, used in all sports. You have to earn your place in the elite tournaments, very simple.
                I'm not joking. This as i said before is an experiment. If the turnout for this tourney is the same as my previous tourneys, then it shows that this experiment may have had no effect in attendance. If there is a lower turnout then I'll have to consider that this idea may not have worked. We'll see. You are right about the outliers. I dont think it annoys everyone else. It is interesting to note with the repeated criticisms, you would think I am about to open Pandora's box or something. I want to see how many outliers bite at this and what else will happens. I am not going to boast that this is an elite tournament though, :). I am not cheating the rating system am I? Am I disregarding the rating system in its entirety? Have I created a new rating system? This is for the game that chessplayers love. If I get players, much better. Very simple. We'll see in just over a week how crazy an idea this is, until then, play well everyone. By the way, what point were you making with the blurb I put with the express lunch offer? A little slow in reading I am. Peace all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mate Milinkovic View Post
                  Mate, you might like to look again.
                  A couple of 1900 have joined the U2000 section.
                  I would note also that only 3 players are playing up in the U2000 section, and all are within 100 points.

Comment

49 players and climbing!
                    See preregistered list in post #1.

Comment

Hi all,

The numbers are building up. Just a reminder to IMs and GMs, TODAY IS THE LAST DAY FOR FREE ENTRY FOR IM OR GM. Also, anyone who registers on the 25th or later pays an additional $10 on their entry fee. The express lunch offer is $13.00 now.

Comment

Hi all,

Just a reminder that after the 24th, the entry fee goes up $10 regardless of section, or excuse. The express lunch is still available for $13.00.
                        Time is ticking.

Comment

Just another reminder, today is the deadline to avoid late registration fees. :)

Early registration makes everything run smoother. We can set up the room optimally, make sure we have enough equipment, etc. avoid pitfalls. We don't have these deadlines just to be mean. They really do help.

Thank you for cooperating.
                          Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 24th November, 2015, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Whew!

A lot of entries for the pre reg. Appreciate the competitors who are coming, from Markham,Barrie, London, I think there is Windsor in there as well, wow!

Comment

Gord - any last minute entries today?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                                Gord - any last minute entries today?
                                I have just update the prereg list at 21:10. I think this is the largest pre reg list we have ever had Bob! You can verify this if you want but I feel WOOHOO!
                                THanks to all for registering and playing in this tournament. Play well everyone and have fun!

Comment

Working...
                                X