Scheduling a tournament with time increments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduling a tournament with time increments

This came up at the recent KW team event. Other than this one glitch the tournament was well organized. That glitch was timing. Games were officially scheduled for every hour, but time control was set to 25min + 10s/move.

It seems to me you must allow 10 minutes between rounds in order to schedule the next round. So 25min flat would have made hourly games possible.

It also seems to me that an organizer should expect the slowest game to go to time, and to take up 60 moves. (Some rounds will be faster, some will be slower.)

This means a 10s increment will add 10min per person to the game time. So 25min +10s results in 50min + 20min = 70min per game, plus 10min delay between, means games will happen every 80min.

The above event concluded after 5 rounds at 6:30, which is 90 minutes later than I was expecting (based on advertised rounds), but right on the money with the above calculation.

To reiterate: (25 + 10) * 2 + 10 = 80 is how long a round actually takes. In a slower tourney (say G/60 with 30s increment), we might have (60 + 30)*2 +15 = 3:15.

Re: Scheduling a tournament with time increments

You are absolutely right Alan, the organiser has to budget for 60-move games. Unfortunately, even that won't eliminate the worse case scenario, VERY long games. At the recent Windsor tournament every round in the A-section had a game going 80+ moves.

Sigh. We finished eventually.

Comment

Working...
    X