• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New DeLucia Book on his Fischer Collection

The 1st comments I have seen.

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/#...her_Uncensored

Re: The New DeLucia Book on his Fischer Collection

I haven't seen much at all on it, save some chatter on the various blogs. A lot of people are finding it more depressing than anything else; I am not sure it is going to be the home-run book many thought.

Comment

Bobby Fischer Uncensored

I am not sure what a home run would be, but there were only 135 copies produced, of which 17 were "special" editions and they have been sold/allocated. The remaining copies were shared among three dealers and other than a single dealer who, I am told, chose not to sell them immediately, they were selling quickly whatever that means. I know where 5 copies went in Canada.

I was enthralled by the book even if the anti-Jewish and anti-American stuff sickened me. One could see an item as far back as 1960 expressing these anti-Jewish sentiments to a minor degree, so it was not only later in life that Fischer expressed these sentiments.

However, if one can put aside the "bad stuff," there is so much in the book that was a pleasure to see. I simply did not read his diatribes and went on to the next pages. Some of his early correspondence was really fun to read. A considerable amount of the material in the book has never seen the light of day previously.

My favourite item was a letter from Fischer's lawyer to Fischer ripping him for his attitude and clearly explaining to Fischer why he lost the stuff in his locker.

It is obvious that De Lucia bought most of the material from Fischer's locker or there was another stash of Fischer material somewhere. The stuff that went on sale recently was a small portion that was not important, I assume.

The quality of the production is remarkable!

I really enjoyed it.

Comment

Re: The New DeLucia Book on his Fischer Collection

Hi, Ken -

I am happy to have copies, don't get me wrong. I just noticed some of the blog postings were so-so. Not just the lunatic stuff but a sense of the morbid trolling through someones personal items.

Even with only 150 copies or whatever there actually are I think it will take some time for them to appreciate. It probably depends on how quickly (or slowly) B pushes his copies out...he is a patient fellow so probably not too quickly.

I am surprised the dregs sold for so much, received so much PR (vis-a-vis Fischer Uncensored)... I don't think a magazine owned by Fischer (even assuming you could verify) is worth much and there are quite a few of his sigs floating around. I have him on a Larsen's Games book (which he borrowed from me in 1971 and returned) and doubt it is worth much.

I personally enjoyed the Friends volumes quite a bit more.

Comment

Working...
        X