Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oldest Chess Club Championship in Canada

Originally posted by Kai G. Gauer View Post
    How long has the U of T's Hart House had the words "chess" printed on its doors for?
    Stangely though, this particular door and the room behind it has nothing to do with current chess activities at Hart House.

Comment

Hamilton has had a club and championship from at least the 1920's but there is no way to tell if it was continuous ie not interupted by WW2. I don't think a complete list exists all that way back.

Comment

If I read this thread correctly, we believe that there are older, indeed much older, chess clubs in Canada. None so far has however been reported to have maintained a continuous run of championships extending further back than the Ottawa R.A. Chess Club's 1954 record. Very cool!:)
        I guess when we present the trophy this year we can call it the oldest continuous championship without fear of contradiction. :D
        More to the point, I do believe it is important that we record and remember our history. We have managed to avoid collective amnesia but only thanks to folks like David Cohen, Hugh Brodie and the late Abe Yanofsky (100 Years of Canadian Chess).

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
          ps. How about a list of club presidents? probably also a good list to have. Unfortunately for Victoria, past presidents are long forgotten.
          Well, I can name a few. There was my uncle Reg Bennet, myself, Dan Scooones, Charles Birch was also in there I believe. Send an email to Dan and I'm sure he can give you a few more.

Bob Van Zweeden served a term if I recall right (Chris Johnson was one of three chessplaying brothers that Bob was stepfather to for awhile) And I'm pretty sure Lynne Stringer served a term though she has been more in the role of perpetural club treasurer.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
            If I read this thread correctly, we believe that there are older, indeed much older, chess clubs in Canada. None so far has however been reported to have maintained a continuous run of championships extending further back than the Ottawa R.A. Chess Club's 1954 record. Very cool!:)
            I guess when we present the trophy this year we can call it the oldest continuous championship without fear of contradiction. :D
            More to the point, I do believe it is important that we record and remember our history. We have managed to avoid collective amnesia but only thanks to folks like David Cohen, Hugh Brodie and the late Abe Yanofsky (100 Years of Canadian Chess).
            I'm thinking the Canadian Armed Forces likely could easily match this or better. Not sure who you would contact about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kai G. Gauer View Post
              How long has the U of T's Hart House had the words "chess" printed on its doors for? Looking at the trophy cases between rounds on that floor shows a chess-related trophy, & one wonders whether it is or had been continually awarded for a period of time (not too many names on the plaque, but one assumes that the University club might've existed back to 1924: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1012317 - if this is where that event took place) or had been retired for another cup.

How long have the universities hosted clubs for, even if not continually? A couple of photos of members of the Queen's chess club are occasionally found. It might also make for an interesting discussion of competition history of various Canadian university championship cups.
              Hart House has a chess club ever since it was built almost 100 years ago, and the U of T has had a chess club even before it was a University!

I think at one time the chess club was in the room to the east of the Debates Room (where most big tournaments and simults were held), then moved cica 1970 to the north side across from the Debates, east of the washroom.

Comment

Re: Scarborough CC Champions

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                I won the club championship one year. It was in the early 1970's. The winner of the Swiss tournament was the club champion at the time. There was a club champion in 1972, 1973 and 1974 for sure. It crossed the year. Like 1971-1972, etc. It was the season starting in September.
                There were SCC championships thru 1972-79, but what threw David off was that it was called the Barker, named after a club member (like the Tebbs and Ridout tournaments). It was a round-robin of the previous Swiss tournament winners and top-rated.

Comment

Re: Scarborough CC Champions

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                  There were SCC championships thru 1972-79, but what threw David off was that it was called the Barker, named after a club member (like the Tebbs and Ridout tournaments). It was a round-robin of the previous Swiss tournament winners and top-rated.
                  I seem to vaguely recall the Barker but not much about it or who won. The tophy I still have around is for the Swiss Champ, but for some reason it's undated. I don't recall Mr. Barker at all, but the other two were friends.

Do you remember much about the events back then? I have some scoresheets but not that many.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

We didn't keep really good records at the Edmonton Chess Club; however, we know that it was established in 1908 making it one of the oldest clubs in the city. We also have a really old Edmonton Championship trophy dating back to the 1930s.

Comment

Here is a photo of the McGill University Chess club from 1922:

http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/en/co...mber=II-245818

...and from 1926:

http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/en/co...acts/II-270165

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        I have a feeling that a Winnipeg Club might stretch back quite a while, but I leave that to folks from out there...
                        Well, the Jewish Chess Club dates from 1919, but the *continuity* of it is something I've always been curious about. Was the WJCC one of the clubs that were folded together into the Winnipeg Chess Centre that started meeting in the Cornish, when Yanofsky got them that space? Or did it happen differently. Someone who was on the scene in the sixties might know...??

I also wonder what happened to all of the old memorabilia from the Cornish, after the City raised the rent and kicked them out. There were photos, trophies, chess tables... everything. Les Mundwiler told me once, but I forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by Myron Samsin View Post
                          Well, the Jewish Chess Club dates from 1919, but the *continuity* of it is something I've always been curious about. Was the WJCC one of the clubs that were folded together into the Winnipeg Chess Centre that started meeting in the Cornish, when Yanofsky got them that space? Or did it happen differently. Someone who was on the scene in the sixties might know...??
                          When I started going in the 1950's the club was in the back room in a restaurant on Main St. It was a permanent room for the club with chess tables set up permanently and the pieces in the drawers. The WJCC and the WC club shared the space and the expenses if I recall correctly. It was good for us juniors as the pool of competition was larger and stronger.

As I recall, after the restaurant the clubs moved to a large building a number of blocks away. It's been a long time and I don't recall the name of the hall or the street. That went into the 1960's but I left around then and didn't keep track.

Every year we got a large group together and went for the annual match with Minneapolis. I remember Yanofsky going but don't recall if his brother, a strong player, also went. The adults used to drive us juniors. A chess weekend at Bemidji, which was about half way for each team.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The beautiful West Vancouver Chess Club championship trophy was full of name plaques in 1967. More of a question is continuity. fwiw, perhaps there is a correlation between continuity and global CFC membership / rating for clubs. Ottawa RA, Scarborough, Edmonton, ... all CFC clubs.

Comment

Working...
                            X