X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tournament Report?: Campbellville Open

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    ...but a few antidotes as well...
    Now you've got my attention -- antidotes!! To ward off blunders when playing fast-rising juniors? A refutation of the Najdorf poisoned pawn? Inoculation against time trouble? Please, tell us more :)

An anecdote about Bob. G from the event - in the first three rounds, he played as a "floater" in all three sections. Open, under 1900, and under 1400. And managed to draw all three games. That takes a special kind of talent.

I'll also add that the event was exceptionally well run, as Gillanders/Nunes/Gooding events invariably are.

Comment

This tournament was great fun to play in despite getting smashed by the great Razvan once more and screwing up a winning position against Gordon Gooding, I hope this becomes a regular tournament in Canada.
      University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Re: Campbellville Open - Nov 16-17, 2013

The "Tim Horton's Mississauga Chess Club" group on Facebook is a closed group - you can't see any postings unless you are a member of the group.

I hope some games are available. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          The "Tim Horton's Mississauga Chess Club" group on Facebook is a closed group - you can't see any postings unless you are a member of the group.

Facebook is an absolute mess and should be avoided at all costs. How hard it it to post the results here?

Edit: I see from another post that the tournament has been rated, so the crosstable should be on the CFC site...
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter De Jong View Post
            Now you've got my attention -- antidotes!! To ward off blunders when playing fast-rising juniors? A refutation of the Najdorf poisoned pawn? Inoculation against time trouble? Please, tell us more :)

An anecdote about Bob. G from the event - in the first three rounds, he played as a "floater" in all three sections. Open, under 1900, and under 1400. And managed to draw all three games. That takes a special kind of talent.

I'll also add that the event was exceptionally well run, as Gillanders/Nunes/Gooding events invariably are.
            Thank you Walter. To update my results as the extreme floater, I actually played in all 5 rounds. 4 draws and 1 win. :), with 3 of those games in the Elite section, where based on my rating, I wasn't even eligible to play. LOL Anyway, I attribute my excellent results that as a tournament organizer, I had enough distractions available so that I didn't have the opportunity to nod off during my games. :)

Anyway, I did promise a door prize for one lucky player on the initial preregistered list. The prize is a limited edition 2010 CFC yearbook. Unfortunately, I forget to bring it to the tournament, so the draw didn't take place. I'm gonna make good on that promise tonight at the Mississauga Club. We'll have some lucky kid from the junior club draw the winning ticket.
            Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 28th November, 2013, 02:34 PM.

Comment

HI Hugh,

1. There are some games posted featuring Ferdinand SUpsup and Henry Arndia.
              And in order to see them, we will include you in the group.
              2. You are right. This is a closed group as we cover news/developments that are not covered in Chesstalk.
              This is where we post photos easily taken during tournaments and has more up to date posting of results.
              3. I still have the games from the 2011 Simul of GM Wesley SO which i believe was not published elsewhere.
              Would you be interested to add these games to the CANBASE?
              Let me know.

Comment

HI Hugh,

1. There are some games posted featuring Ferdinand SUpsup and Henry Arndia.
                And in order to see them, we will include you in the group.
                2. You are right. This is a closed group as we cover news/developments that are not covered in Chesstalk.
                This is where we post photos easily taken during tournaments and has more up to date posting of results.
                3. I still have the games from the 2011 Simul of GM Wesley SO which i believe was not published elsewhere.
                Would you be interested to add these games to the CANBASE?
                Let me know.

Comment

Working...
                X