Chess'n Math is proud to be associated with....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess'n Math is proud to be associated with....

a big event in Toronto this April...one of those...you can't miss events!

You will be able to register at our Strategy Game stores in Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa as of Feb. 1, 2009.

$16,000 in Guaranteed Prize money in a classy location in downtown Toronto!

Here are the details:

2009 PWC TORONTO OPEN
    CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP
    APRIL 17TH to 19TH, 2009

PRESENTED BY: PRICEWATERHOUSECOOPERS
    IN ASSOCIATION WITH: THE GREATER TORONTO CHESS LEAGUE

Financial District, Downtown Toronto. See overleaf for map.

STYLE: 5 Round Swiss System, 3 Sections (Open, < 2000, <1600), CFC rated.
    TIME CONTROL: Round 1 30 moves in 90 minutes, 1 hour for remainder (SD)
    Rounds 2 to 5 40 moves in 2 hours, 1 hour for remainder (SD)

SCHEDULE: Friday April 17th 7pm Sharp!
    Saturday April 18th 11am and 5pm
    Sunday April 19th 10am and 4pm
    Sunday April 19th Awards Presentation 10:45pm

PRIZE FUND: $16,000+ Guaranteed! Including $3,000 1st prize, prizes for top 5 in each section, class prizes within each section, top senior, junior and
    female in each section, plus individual game prizes for biggest upset,
    brilliancy prize and best defensive effort, as well as special prizes for
    winner of chess trivia contest, best dressed and more! See
    tournament rules for full details.

ENTRY FEE: $90 per person.
    All participants must be, or become, CFC members.
    To enter see details overleaf.

ACCOMMODATION: Special Chess Rate of $169.00 is being offered by The Suites at 1 King West. Book early; a limited number of rooms are available at
    this rate.

BYES: Maximum of 2 available through rounds 1-4
    EQUIPMENT: Bring your own chess sets and clocks. None will be provided.

TD: Bryan Lamb 905 554-4548, 416 904-5938 bryan.lamb@rogers.com

ORGANIZER: Brian Fiedler 416 733-3199, 416 480-8801 fiedlerbrian@yahoo.com.au

HOW TO ENTER:

By Mail to:
    Brian Fiedler
    P.O. Box 67083, Yonge & Eglinton P.S.,
    2300 Yonge St.,
    Toronto, Ontario
    M4P 3C8

Make cheques payable to: “2009 Toronto Open Chess”

Enter Early! Limited spaces are available and your entry fee will be fully refunded if your plans change before April 13th. All entries must be received by Monday April 13th, 2009.

NO entries will be accepted at the site on the day of the tournament!

THE SUITES AT 1 KING WEST
    1 King Street West,
    Toronto, Ontario
    M5H 1A1
    Telephone: 416 548-8100 or 1 866 470-5464
    www.onekingwest.com
    reservations@onekingwest.com (Chess Rate:10B3TP)
    Just steps away from King St. TTC subway station.

2009 PwC Toronto Open Chess Championship Entry Form

NAME______________________________CFC#____________ _EXPIRY_______CFC RATING(est)_________

ADDRESS___________________________________________ ______________

PHONE #S_____________________ ________________________ EMAIL_______________________________

Please Check the Applicable Box: Junior (16 and Under) . Senior (50 and Over) .

Male . Female .

SECTION______________ ENTRY FEE ENCLOSED $__________ CFC DUES ENCLOSED* $__________

BYES REQUESTED (IF APPLICABLE)__________________________

* Currently, $43 for Ontario resident adults. Go to www.chess.ca for other resident and non-resident rates

Make cheques payable to: “2009 Toronto Open Chess”

Mail completed form along with entry fee (and CFC dues if applicable) to:

Brian Fiedler: PO Box 67083, Yonge & Eglinton P.S., 2300 Yonge St., Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M4P 3C8

All entries must be received no later than April 13, 2009

Check here if you do NOT wish to receive information from sponsoring organizations .

or register In Person at Strategy Games Stores:

Toronto – 701 Mt. Pleasant Road (416) 486-3395
    Ottawa – 250 Bank St. (613) 565-3662
    Montreal – 3423 St. Denis Street (514) 845-8352

Tournament Playing Fee ?

Hi Larry:

Is there no tournament playing fee ( $ 10 ) as an alternative to CFC membership?

Bob

Comment

Re: Tournament Playing Fee ?

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
      Hi Larry:

Is there no tournament playing fee ( $ 10 ) as an alternative to CFC membership?

Bob
      Hi Bob,

Brian Fiedler is the organizer. Chess'n Math will help collect entries and we will be on-site to sell chess books & equipment.

The CFC membership structure has been unclear after the annual meeting passed a strange motion (thank-you to those involved...) at the annual meeting.

Basically, Brian wants to run a quality event in Toronto. He isn't into the politics....so, if the CFC has tournament memberships...he is probably fine with that (this comment is based on what I know of Brian...I have never spoken to him about this issue directly)

Let's not get bogged down in the silly stuff...let's support this awesome event!

When was the last time you saw a $16,000 guaranteed prize fund for an open weekend swiss in a great venue located in downtown Toronto?

The Toronto chess scene needs "un peu de piquant"...Brian is stimulating Toronto chess...and Chess'n Math is saying...AWESOME!!!

That's why we got on board...now it is up to the chess comunity to support this excellent initiative!

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry:

I agree it is a great event.

It was as a matter of " advertising " that I raised it, since some entries are mail in, and it shows the $ 43 as to be paid for Ontario resident.

I wasn't trying to drag politics into it.

Bob

Comment

Hi Larry:

I agree it is a great event.

It was as a matter of " advertising " that I raised it, since some entries are mail in, and it shows the $ 43 as to be paid for Ontario resident.

I wasn't trying to drag politics into it.

Bob
          Hi Bob,

Maybe Bob Gillanders could tell us what the membership options are for this event. As I understand it, the motion that was passed this summer...was rescinded...so we are back to square one...which means tournament memberships exist again. If our hard working, mover in frigid temperatures :), could spell that out for us then I am sure Brian will simply offer all the options available to the player.

Larry

Comment

Re: Chess'n Math is proud to be associated with....

I know that no on-site entries makes it much easier for the organizers - but if you take Montreal tournaments as an example - a large proportion of players enter the day of the tournament (even with a hefty supplement).

Example: the recent Pere Noel tournament in Montreal had 94 pre-registrants, and the remaining 36 were on-site registrants - paying a $10 (or 22%) supplement.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
              Hi Bob,

Maybe Bob Gillanders could tell us what the membership options are for this event. As I understand it, the motion that was passed this summer...was rescinded...so we are back to square one...which means tournament memberships exist again. If our hard working, mover in frigid temperatures :), could spell that out for us then I am sure Brian will simply offer all the options available to the player.

Larry
              The single tournament membership never left. The changes passed last summer were to take effect January 1, 2009, but were rescinded. Ironically, it didn't propose any change to the tournament membership fee anyway.

Membership rates are listed on the CFC website. The single tournament fee is $10 for adults, and $5 for juniors. (for now). But for sure, most will wish to get a full annual membership to enjoy the new webzine.:)

Comment

I thought Brian was only taking Full Membership players. Maybe you should take to the Horse's Mouth. I'm sure Brian is able to speak on behalf of his own tournament.

Comment

I believe this thread is worthy of a sticky.

Comment

We should put two, to be sure.

Comment

Did the CFC ever approve, by Governors' motion, the tournament membership fee as it is currently being used?

Comment

I'm confused... why such a huge prize fund for a 5 rounder? It seems pretty extravagant :P
                        Shameless self-promotion on display here
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Tournament Playing Fee

Hi Ken:

From the CFC Handbook on " tournament membership ", formally called the " tournament playing fee ":

375. Tournament Playing Fee: A tournament fee for first time players in CFC events, for foreign players, and for players whose name does not appear on the last Annual List, of $10.00 may be paid in lieu of CFC membership. The player will then receive a rating, one copy of the magazine, and an invitation to join the CFC.

As far as I know, there are no motions passed by the governors which amended this section. Both the CFC and organizers are currently in breach of the section, by allowing players to consecutively use the tournament playing fee - it is obviously intended to be only a one-shot deal. The CFC has an alarming habit of ignoring its own rules.

Bob

Comment

Re: Tournament Playing Fee

The CFC has an alarming habit of ignoring its own rules.
                            Bob
                            Not to belittle your point (which is well taken) but one of the problems is that "the rules" have not been up to date for about the last 15 years or longer. Apparently the CF handbook has been updated to include changes approved by recent GLs (no doubt some sections were changed and changed again multiple times...)

If the rules are kept up to date and are accessible on the website [and can be downloaded and *searched*] there is a chance the rules can then actually be:

1. enforced
                            2. debated
                            3. changed if necessary
                            4. shown to players, TDs, Governors, etc.

I don't know if the latest revision is on the website yet, but I hope it is there very soon...

It is clear from the wording you quoted that the tournament membership is implicitly intended for someone contemplating joining the CFC - not as a replacement for full CFC membership. I suspect that subtlety is almost always overlooked...
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Will the top section be FIDE rated? I haven't seen it advertised anywhere, but I assume it will be considering the huge prize fund.

Comment

Working...
                              X