• Show
Clear All

• Magurie = Fischer

Lol, first time 'my' name's ever been linked to Fischer (:

http://globalnews.ca/news/803722/tob...r-in-montreal/

Re: Magurie = Fischer

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
    Lol, first time 'my' name's ever been linked to Fischer (:
    Not so, Jack. I've often heard your name used with Fischer... or maybe it was "fishy". Or was it just "fish". Something like that, anyway.

I had an anal fissure once... the closest I've ever come to Bobby Fischer.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post

I had an anal fissure once... the closest I've ever come to Bobby Fischer.
      I don't think I quite wish to visualize that, John (:

Tangentially, I have a custom printed T-shirt that reads:

2+2=5
      -1 > +1
      Tal math
      -10 > +20
      Maguire math

so I frequently get asked by total strangers, "Who's Tal? And who's Maguire?" which occasionally leads to droll dialogue (:

Comment

Because of your maverick play with the Blackmar Diemer Gambit, if Dick Cavett were to start a new talk show in 2013, he would introduce you as "The Great Jack Maquire"
        As you probably remember, Dick Cavett would introduce Bobby Fischer on his talk show in the 70's as "The Great Bobby Fischer"

Don't forgot Jack, the top two must see movies on your list for 2014 should be Pawn Sacrifice and Rocky 7. In Rocky 7, Rocky will train Apollo Creed's grandson. A must see!

Comment

Upon reflection, I feel that Jack's playing style at the Annex Chess Club is more Tal like than Fischer. The reason that I make this claim is that Jack quite often leads his opponents into a deep dark forest where 2 + 2 = 5 and the pathway out is only wide enough for one.

Comment

Hi Bill:

At the old Bayview Games Club, Jack and I often went mano a mano. The suggestion of some vague Tal-like echo strikes a responsive cord (though I don't think we should take it tOOOOO far)!

Bob A

Comment

You are correct Bob, maintaining perspective is important. While Ulysses spent many years in the wilderness, a certain percentage of Jack's are only spending one evening in the wilderness.

Comment

They contacted me today to act as a consultant (recommended by a fine individual in the NYC chess community) ...I have passed that task on to a fellow who has been with the Chess'n Math Association for a couple of decades...and is totally awesome :)

Comment

Working...
                X