Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Awonder Liang

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    By "Youth Fund" do you mean the "Pugi Fund"? Any junior is eligible to apply for a grant from the Pugi Fund - usually between $500 and $1000 is distributed annually - but you have to apply for it.

From the CFC Handbook:

"1008. KALEV PUGI FUND - The will of former Chess Federation of Canada President Kalev Pugi bequested $10,000 to the Chess Foundation of Canada to be set aside as a seperate fund called the "Kalev Pugi Chess Education Fund". Subsequent donations have increased this amount to $20,000 (as of 2009). The income generated from that fund is to go toward assisting young Canadian chess players under the age of 18 years to travel to chess competitions and tournaments for the purpose of increasing their chess playing skills and education.

It is the responsibility of the Chess Foundation of Canada to manage the money in accordance with the terms of the will. At the Annual General Meeting of the Chess Federation of Canada each year, a committee of three persons is elected to select any players for assistance from the fund that have a need and meet the qualifications under the terms of the will. Applications from or on behalf of eligible recipients may be submitted to the Board of Trustees via the CFC at any time."
    Hugh,

The Youth Fund and Pugi Fund are not the same.

Comment

I played with this prodigy last year at Chicago Open and lost. He was the youngest player who ever beat me in a slow chess game. We played Petrov (I was black) with 4. Nc3, opposite-side castle. I was much better (winning) in a very wild position, but made 2-3 weak moves and allowed him to sacrifice piece for mating attack. I remember he spend about 15 minutes (usually he plays very fast) before this sacrifice. I already saw this coming (too late!!) and was almost 100 % sure he finds this winning move. Probably in this game I missed my only life-time chance to beat him.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rd9.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	185584
        Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
        I played with this prodigy last year at Chicago Open and lost. He was the youngest player who ever beat me in a slow chess game. We played Petrov (I was black) with 4. Nc3, opposite-side castle. I was much better (winning) in a very wild position, but made 2-3 weak moves and allowed him to sacrifice piece for mating attack. I remember he spend about 15 minutes (usually he plays very fast) before this sacrifice. I already saw this coming (too late!!) and was almost 100 % sure he finds this winning move. Probably in this game I missed my only life-time chance to beat him.
        It looks like he likes to sacrifice. In the last round at NAYCC he played Bxe6 but couldn't find a win and the game ended up in a draw.

Comment

Victor, you may well be right about your chances! But there's no reason why Mark should harbour such a pessimistic outlook. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
            Awonder Liang, who just turned 10 this past April, and fresh off his 3rd place finish in Toronto's NAYCC U18! (talk about playing up) division, is featured in the following news item today.

http://www.news-record.com/news/loca...9bb30f31a.html

There's absolutely no question about Awonder's perhaps unparalleled potential, but I suppose the question must be raised can that full potential indeed be realized with only seemingly "a strong class A" (not mentioned in this news item) coach, his father? Or is 10 pounds of books sufficient compensation?
            his dad's name is Aclass

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Awonder Liang

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              He didn't win the section he played.
              ...........?

Comment

No shame there, Victor, since Awonder was already taking down IMs at the age of 8! According to Wikipedia, he shattered Hikaru Nakamura's record by more than 18 months!

"On August 5, 2011, at the age of 8 years 118 days, he became the youngest to defeat an International Master (IM) in a standard tournament game. [2] This occurred Round 6 at the US Open in Orlando, FL., when Awonder defeated IM Daniel Fernandez (rated FIDE 2401, USCF 2448 at that time). The previous record was broken by 1 year, 8 months and 7 days; having been held by Hikaru Nakamura."

Comment

Originally posted by joshua hu View Post
                  ...........?
                  I admire your eloquence but I have no idea why you addressed that to me.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                    Rene, are you trying to have it both ways? Your son didn't play in the CYCC, which is the qualifying tournament for the Canadian team, but you want him to play for Canada anyway.

Maybe CYCC should not be the qualifying tournament (I don't think they have an equivalent event in the US, for example), but that's what our beloved CFC has decreed. You gotta play by the rules. Or work to change the rules.
                    You do understand that CYCC is just a money-maker to support the Canadian Open and that it is no way a viable tournament for anything right? I played in one CYCC and that is one CYCC too many. Back then at least it was 150 for 7 rounds. Nowadays it's 225 for 6 rounds? When I"m 30 I'm sure it will balloon to 300 for 5 rounds.
                    Shameless self-promotion on display here
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Awonder, now 11, has won the '2014 Outstanding Player Achievement Award' from the USCF.

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/us/2014...t_18231673.htm

Comment

Even the best are seemingly capable of putting together a truly wretched tournament. Awonder is already a 2-time WYCC Champion, U8 & U10, and was the prohibitive favourite to become this year's U12 Champion. Not any more however. He's lost 3 of his past 4 outings and sits at a mere 4/7, with absolutely no hope of another Gold Medal.

http://www.chess-results.com/tnr1442...0&wi=984&snr=1

While Awonder has managed to shed 44.6 FIDE points, Canada's Sergey Noritsyn has tacked on 73.6 FIDE points with his 5/7. Sergey is definitely Canada's '3rd star' to date (behind only Qiyu Zhou and Maili-Jade Ouellet) and could well work himself into medal contention today should he be able to defeat the #7 seed, Praveen Balakrishnan (2157), from the U.S.. The game can be followed live at:

http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2014-...oritsyn_Sergey

I note that Sergey is not playing his wont Marshall (2. ...Nf6) Scandinavian today (which I'm extremely partial to) but rather the old Larsen Qxd5/Qa5 Scandinavian. Go Sergey!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                          While Awonder has managed to shed 44.6 FIDE points ...
                          Make that 63 FIDE points.
                          The organizers managed to have WYCC rated 2 days after the tournament was done (for October FRL). It took 2 months to have the Canadian Open - Section B FIDE rated.
                          Who thought that this delay will come back to haunt CFC today. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                            You do understand that CYCC is just a money-maker to support the Canadian Open and that it is no way a viable tournament for anything right?
                            This may have been true when you played your CYCC, but it is false about the 2013 CYCC in Ottawa, which contributed $39,935 to the CFC to fund youth chess expenses (e.g. flights to the WYCC). That was in accordance with CFC regulations stating that $150 from each CYCC entry fee must go to the CFC.

I have been told that the 2014 CYCC in Montreal is expected to send about $45,000 to the CFC to fund youth chess expenses. If they do, then your claim is also false about the 2014 CYCC.
                            Note: that $45,0000 is not, AFAIK, an official figure, and I am still waiting to have my request for this information confirmed. Also Note: I'm not surprise or upset by the delay: I expect our HOD to need a few days to recover from jet lag from Durban and time to catch up on paperwork. :o

You may be right about CYCCs prior to 2013, I do not know.
                            I have tried -- on many occasions and by asking many people who ought to know -- to find out how much money previous CYCCs actually sent to the CFC. Each time I have been told that the "numbers are there", but no one has told me exactly where or exactly what those numbers are.

Please do not continue to spread false claims here about the 2013 CYCC or its relation to the CFC's finances.
                            That's what Spraggett's site is for.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                              This may have been true when you played your CYCC, but it is false about the 2013 CYCC in Ottawa, which contributed $39,935 to the CFC to fund youth chess expenses (e.g. flights to the WYCC). That was in accordance with CFC regulations stating that $150 from each CYCC entry fee must go to the CFC.

I have been told that the 2014 CYCC in Montreal is expected to send about $45,000 to the CFC to fund youth chess expenses. If they do, then your claim is also false about the 2014 CYCC.
                              Note: that $45,0000 is not, AFAIK, an official figure, and I am still waiting to have my request for this information confirmed. Also Note: I'm not surprise or upset by the delay: I expect our HOD to need a few days to recover from jet lag from Durban and time to catch up on paperwork. :o
                              Like I always said: There's a lot of money around chess. Problem is money can't win. Winning takes some talent.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                                Like I always said: There's a lot of money around chess. Problem is money can't win. Winning takes some talent.
                                In Canada talent is 1%. The rest is hard work and money (to pay for a good coach and play in strong tournaments). I know few talented Canadian kids who hit the wall because they had no support from their parents (they couldn't afford to pay for a coach or take time off from work to take them to tournaments).
                                In a "chess country" (like Russia, China, India etc.) talent and some work is enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X