Series of Chess Shows on Rogers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series of Chess Shows on Rogers

This week a series of 12 chess shows covering learning the moves, the rules, and model games of basic strategy will be starting on the Rogers Community network in Waterloo Region, Channel 20. I think Kitchener, Cambridge, Waterloo, Guelph, Brantford, Hamilton will be able to see it. Not sure about Toronto area. Viewing times are Tuesdays 1030pm, Wednesdays, 730pm, Thursday 9am and 9pm, and Sundays 9pm, each week over the next 12 weeks. I guess I am known now as a community producer for Rogers TV.

Re: Series of Chess Shows on Rogers

The series is called Chess Check it Out and each show is half an hour.

Comment

I didnt know how popular watching TV still is until I received comments about my show Chess Check it Out. In 4 weeks Ive received hundreds (actually close to a thousand) comments from people and this is a show on the community network! I mean I can understand watching your favorite shows on TV but I always thought watching the community network was like watching the weather channel. I think this way of chess promotion has been overlooked and has great potential and Im very pleased with the results.

Comment

clap, clap. A few questions if you are up to responding ...

What sort of background producing TV shows do you have?

What help do you have?

What is the format (you with a demo board or some other approach or a mixture) ?

and, finally, what advice do you have for others who might want to try the same thing elsewhere?
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Producing background none. A full production team and directing and editing team was supplied by Rogers (senior producer, producer, director, editor, camera men and assistants). Venue was Rotunda at City Hall = large, open space, good lighting. I wrote the script (which was followed very closely), supplied most of the scenic materials, and was the main actor. I had two assistant actors, a cute young girl and boy. Most of the filming used the giant chess board and giant chess pieces (much better visual and more interesting than a normal demo board). A few shots were on a demo board. I preferred not to do the acting (overbearing aging white male) but they said they needed me in the main role. If it was done again I would have a young attractive woman in the main role but she would have to know the script perfectly. Assistant actors are very helpful as long as they are photogenic. Script needs to be short and interesting but complete and informative. You have to determine your target audience and stick to it. You have to brief your producer and director well and trust them in the editing process. Allow for multiple filming times and a good, trusted filming location and also allow time and location for reshoots. Thats about it off the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            Producing background none. A full production team and directing and editing team was supplied by Rogers (senior producer, producer, director, editor, camera men and assistants). Venue was Rotunda at City Hall = large, open space, good lighting. I wrote the script (which was followed very closely), supplied most of the scenic materials, and was the main actor. I had two assistant actors, a cute young girl and boy. Most of the filming used the giant chess board and giant chess pieces (much better visual and more interesting than a normal demo board). A few shots were on a demo board. I preferred not to do the acting (overbearing aging white male) but they said they needed me in the main role. If it was done again I would have a young attractive woman in the main role but she would have to know the script perfectly. Assistant actors are very helpful as long as they are photogenic. Script needs to be short and interesting but complete and informative. You have to determine your target audience and stick to it. You have to brief your producer and director well and trust them in the editing process. Allow for multiple filming times and a good, trusted filming location and also allow time and location for reshoots. Thats about it off the top of my head.
            This sounds very well made! A professional crew. Mixing in close-ups and multiple takes. The large city hall is a great studio. Photogenic assistants. But you didn't mention your personal trainer, hair and make-up assistants, going on the Hollywood diet to keep thin.

But how can i see it in Toronto. Is anyone recording it or making DVDs?

Comment

Ill get DVDs but I have to wait until the end of the series so they only have to record once for me. If you are a Rogers customer you can track it down online.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                Ill get DVDs but I have to wait until the end of the series so they only have to record once for me. If you are a Rogers customer you can track it down online.
                Good luck with that. My experience with trying to watch Roger Community programming is that they tend to keep only a few recent episodes 'online' and the usual problems with poor search software etc. My daughter did an interview show with them in Toronto and it has been a nightmare trying to even see the episode let alone get a copy... When I last looked, they use streaming flash which is a big hassle to capture.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Congratulations, Hans. Being board boy for Dr. Ackermann finally pays dividends!! :)
                  Last edited by Peter McKillop; Friday, 11th October, 2013, 11:54 PM.
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Thanks Peter - yup thats where I got my start in chess promotion. At Spice Cup Raja Panjwani took me aside and warmed my heart with a little story. He said: " You know Hans my father and I are both tournament players but my mother never learned because we never taught here. But since your show has started she faithfully watches every episode and is really enjoying it!" Thanks for that Raja. Its never too late to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      Good luck with that. My experience with trying to watch Roger Community programming is that they tend to keep only a few recent episodes 'online' and the usual problems with poor search software etc. My daughter did an interview show with them in Toronto and it has been a nightmare trying to even see the episode let alone get a copy... When I last looked, they use streaming flash which is a big hassle to capture.
                      This seems to be a common complaint with cable company sponsored community TV, not just Rogers. I don't wish to insert any negative thoughts here ... for what is good chess coverage at the local level with Hans ... but cable company support of genuine local TV has a long history of being very perfunctory and more of a sop to the CRTC than any real effort to allow local programming. Fortunately for us, chess isn't controversial .... mostly ! lol. Get your copies of the shows sooner rather than later.
                      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
                      X