chess history at the cne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chess history at the cne

In the Toronto Chess News my column Malmsten on Chess has published a 4-part series on chess at the annual CNE. It’s a hot, noisy place but offers an audience of over 100,000 spectators.
    http://www.torontochessnews.com

Part 4 - Sept. 2
    The first Ontario Closed was in 1977, won by Lawrence Day. I gave most of his games, but could find only 1 non-Day game. In 1978 there was the David Levy – computer match. I’ve analysized the games with Houdini, but I don’t know what CHESS 4.7 would be rated. It was funded with lottery money.

Part 3 - Aug. 15
    1969 cne archive photo of Dobrich giving a simult scoring +46=1-0. Games of World Champion Boris Spassky at the 1971 CNE Open, organized by Dobrich. 247 players. It was won by GMs Pal Benko and Robert Byrne as Spassky drew Day. Out of the money were GMs Arthur Bisguier and GM Walter Browne.

Part 2 - Jul 15
    The 1950 Ontario Championship was won by Povilas Vaitonis of Hamilton ahead of Frank Anderson who had lost to Ivan Theodorovitch. In 1953 The Ontario Champion was moved from August to the Feb. Hobby Show at the CNE. Vaitonis won again ahead of Anderson. In 1954 there was a wire game between Anderson and Igor Bondarvesky in Russia. It lasted several days and got first-page newspaper coverage. In 1954 Fuster won the Ontario Championship, again at the hobby show.

Part 1 - Jul 1
    The 1934 Canadian Chess Championship was a Toronto Centennial event played on the CNE's mezzanine of the Automotive Building, above the new cars for sale. Toronto’s Harry Belson was considered a gentleman champion, finishing ahead of former champions Martin, Fox and Morrison. Sydney Gale won the Rapid Transit tournament, 10 seconds a move, 60 entrants. In 1936 Boris Blumin won ahead of Fox, Belson and Morrison. Little kid Abe Yanofsky won the lower section. Many games from the Telegram column.

Re: chess history at the cne

Thnx Erik for historical reviews.

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
    In 1978 there was the David Levy – computer match. I’ve analysized the games with Houdini, but I don’t know what CHESS 4.7 would be rated.
    In the book How Computers Play Chess by D.Levy and M.Newborn, the Chess 4.7 estimated as 2000. Though during US Amateur Team Ch. in 1980 it performed at 2168. Earlier versions managed at similar level 2136, 2271 (see page 5). The book has all games from the match commented by David Levy. The outcome of the bet:
    "After I returned to England I soon received cheques from Professors McCarthy, Michie and Pappert....To the time of writing this book (1990) I am still awaiting my 250 (pounds), plus 11 year's compound interest form Kozdrowicki!"

Comment

Re: chess history at the cne

The 1971 CNE Open was played at exactly the same place as the 1934 event - on the mezzanine of the (now not open to the CNE public) Automotive Building - likewise with the new cars (and the accompanying, noisy crowds) down below (I recall cars there - as well as the other products described in Erik's article). That may have been the event in which Leo Williams was about to queen a Pawn against Walter Browne; he took the Queen from the captured pieces next to Browne; Browne picked up the Queen, and threw it across the room.

Comment

Working...
      X