supporting good people in chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supporting good people in chess

In a recent thread mention was made of supporting good people in chess. Now here is a chance. Susan Polgar did a fantastic job of commentary at the World Cup. Now she has a poll on her daily blog asking people to vote as to what kind of commentary they want to see at tournaments. Please visit: www.susanpolgar.blogspot.ca and give it a minute to load up and then check your vote and even make a comment if you want.

Re: supporting good people in chess

I am amazed that some people apparently thought Susan was 'cheapening the game'. She is only doing what most of the sports media discovered long ago: if you insist on dry technical coverage you are just preaching to the converted- you need to reach out to new fans with personal interest stories, analysis for the non-expert etc.

Comment

Re: supporting good people in chess

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
      I am amazed that some people apparently thought Susan was 'cheapening the game'. She is only doing what most of the sports media discovered long ago: if you insist on dry technical coverage you are just preaching to the converted- you need to reach out to new fans with personal interest stories, analysis for the non-expert etc.
      I think she was the only commentator that knew what was really going on. Lawrence Trent was pretty decent as a straight man for her analysis and he was good at moving things along. The last segments with Nigel Short were embarrassing and pathetic; the New In Chess editor (sorry, don't recall his name) was knowledgeable I suppose, but a little on the quiet side and let Nigel take over and play the fool.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
      X