North American Premiere of "The Machine"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North American Premiere of "The Machine"

I saw the North American Premiere of the Machine tonight at the Park Avenue Armory in New York City. It is about the 1997 match between Gary Kasparov and Deep Blue. Although in theory fictitious, it really told the story of the 1997 match. The set for the most part was a TV studio where the games where broadcast, so you could actually follow the games, displayed on large multi-media screens. The first five games, they gave the flavour of the games, but the sixth and decisive game, they actually showed all the moves. The amazing thing is that the actors are not chess players, so they really have to rehearse the games right before they go on stage.

I really enjoyed the show and was lucky enough to go to the after party to get the inside scoop from the producer. Garry Kasparov was brilliantly played by Hadley Fraser, who really captured his mannerisms and personality. Clara Kasparov, Feng-Hsiung Hsu, Murray Campbell, Joel Benjamin, Mikhail Botvinik, Anatoly Karpov and Hans Berliner were some of the other characters. Two thumbs up from me.

Re: North American Premiere of "The Machine"

What did Mikhail Botvinnik play/act in this show?

Comment

He played Garry's coach, when they flashed back to him as a 10 year old. They show how he got into Botvinik's school.

Comment

Here's a Ben Richmond review of the play:

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/can...ss-or-anywhere

Comment

Working...
        X