• Show
Clear All

• CFC News Letter Aug 2013

The CFC August News Letter is now out.
    I thought it was quite good.Lots of
    news,lots of well annotated games
    and lots of excellent pictures.

Re: CFC News Letter Aug 2013

Roger that. I haven't played tournament chess for a number of years, but when I saw a recent newsletter -- and how good it was -- I sent off my dues and rejoined the CFC. Credit to John Upper and his band of contributors!

Comment

Wow, thanks guys. That makes my night. :)

"I sent off my dues and rejoined the CFC" :o .... I'm speechless.

I hope future issues don't disappoint -- there's no money-back guarantee if they do :p -- so you should prepare yourselves for fewer photos.

Since I started as editor in May, it's been a very lucky coincidence that there have been so many photo-friendly events near me: the Canadian Chess Challenge, TORO, the CYCC, and the Canadian Open were all within a 20 minute drive. There's no way that's going to happen again. After the next issue, when I run the NAYCC and Can Am/Senior photos I took, that will probably be it for photo-ops for me.

If every contributor could do what Jackie Peng did for the Aug issue -- send several of the "touristy-type" photos I asked for and play in an event where there's exceptionally good online photo coverage -- then the CCN could keep looking nice. But few events have such good coverage, and there's just no way for me to enforce a rule that requires contributors to send five good photos per article or tournament report, if only because it's too distracting for players to take pictures during their own rounds.

After the next issue, we're probably at the mercy of whatever contributors send in and whatever I can scrounge up.

FWIW I'm aiming to have the Sept issue out by Sept 17. It's going to be smaller (I expect all future issues will be smaller than the 100+ pages of the last two), but it already has contributions from:
      IM Edward Porper (an article and two games from Quebec)
      IM Aman Hambleton (CoQ)
      Razvan Preotu (his win over Sambuev at the CoQ)
      FM Vladimir Pechenkin (Canadians Abroad)
      Max Gedajlovic (European tournaments aren't just for titled players).

Comment

When I got to the end and saw I was at page 103 my jaw dropped. Incredible.

Any plans for articles from Hansen and Hambleton on their European adventures?

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
          Any plans for articles from Hansen and Hambleton on their European adventures?
          Yes.

Eric and Bator have agreed to write articles on their World Cup experience.

Aman and I have been exchanging email about a series of articles on his tournaments this year: from getting his final IM norms in South and Central America this Spring/Summer, running through his introduction to European Club play in the Bundesliga and 4NCL in Oct/Nov.

Comment

Working...
          X