Question for FIDE arbiters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for FIDE arbiters

A friend of mine is running a FIDE-rated double round robin. A player has withdrawn before the mid-point (he played three games out of ten).

Are his results still reported and rated?
    Can he be replaced?
    If the answer to the second question is yes, does his replacement play seven games or only the last five (i.e. all games in one cycle only)?

Thanks in advance.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Re: Question for FIDE arbiters

It used to be (that is my info may be obsolete) that the played games are reported and rated. However, if the player had completed less than half the event, they did not count for the purposes of tournament placing. If he had played more than half, the played games counted and unplayed games are counted as forfeits.

Don't know about replacements or how exactly 50% is treated.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
      Are his results still reported and rated?
      Yes.

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
      Can he be replaced?
      If the answer to the second question is yes, does his replacement play seven games or only the last five (i.e. all games in one cycle only)?
      I don't think FIDE has anything so say on the question of replacements, it's up to the organizer. However, in terms of the rating regulations, "In the case of a round-robin tournament where one or more games are unplayed the results of the tournament must be reported for rating as if it for a Swiss System tournament." Thus, I think you could have the replacement play the remaining seven games and it would still be rated.

The bigger question is: are there any FIDE-unrated players in the event? If so, this changing of status from round robin to Swiss will affect them for rating purposes. In a Swiss, only games against rated opponents will be rated, so games between two unrated players don't count. In a round robin of suitable size and composition all the games would be FIDE rated, including those been unrated players.

See http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...1&view=article, especially 6.5 and 7.14a and b.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
        Yes.

I don't think FIDE has anything so say on the question of replacements, it's up to the organizer. However, in terms of the rating regulations, "In the case of a round-robin tournament where one or more games are unplayed the results of the tournament must be reported for rating as if it for a Swiss System tournament." Thus, I think you could have the replacement play the remaining seven games and it would still be rated.

The bigger question is: are there any FIDE-unrated players in the event? If so, this changing of status from round robin to Swiss will affect them for rating purposes. In a Swiss, only games against rated opponents will be rated, so games between two unrated players don't count. In a round robin of suitable size and composition all the games would be FIDE rated, including those been unrated players.

See http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...1&view=article, especially 6.5 and 7.14a and b.
        I guess a question is would it be legal to act as if the withdrawn player's games did not exist and have the replacement play catch up games. Were the entrants registered in advance on the fide website?

05. FIDE Tournament Rules

9. Unplayed Games

(a) If a player has lost a game by default for insufficient reason, the player shall be expelled unless the Chief Arbiter decides otherwise.
        (b) When a player withdraws or is expelled from a round-robin tournament, the effect shall be as follows:
        1. If a player has completed less than 50 % of his games, his score shall remain in the tournament table (for rating and historical purposes), but the points scored by him or against him shall not be counted in the final standings. The unplayed games of the player are indicated by (-) in the tournament table, and those of his opponents by (+). If neither player is present this will be indicated by two (-).
        2. If a player has completed at least 50 % of his games, his score shall remain in the tournament table and shall be counted in the final standings. The unplayed games of the player are shown as indicated as above.
        (c) If a player withdraws from a Swiss-system tournament, the points scored by him and by his opponents shall remain in the cross-table for ranking purposes. Only games that are actually played shall be rated.
        (d) Clauses 9(b) and (c) also apply to team events. Both unplayed matches and unplayed games must be clearly indicated as such.

Comment

Working...
        X