Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Canada Webzine

The Chess Canada Webzine is now online.

All current members should have received an email (as long as we have your email address) with a username and password. Go to our new main page and find the link to the webzine. If we don't have your email address, please send us an email so we can send you the password.

There are some public accessible articles, but once you login, more will be available to you.

Try it out and let us know what you think.

For any technical problems, send an email to: vchow@chess.ca

This is phase 1 of the webzine. Additional features are planned for phase 2.

Re: Chess Canada Webzine

how about a freebie issue for all those who paid for last years magazine?

Comment

Re : Re: Chess Canada Webzine

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
      how about a freebie issue for all those who paid for last years magazine?
      Good idea. I am no longer a member, but I did not receive any magazine for the last 6 months of my subscription.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Chess Canada Webzine

I much enjoyed Lawrence Day's article (in the members' section) Chess Daze, where he wrote about his chess relationship with Dr. Bohatyrchuk.

There doesn't seem to be a way to print out that article, properly paginated. That has always been a weakness of the web: even crummy old WordStar had dot commands for pagination, but html had nothing, no page smarts. That's one reason PDF continues to be popular.

Comment

An excellent idea. Perhaps the current CFC exec will break the established trend of CFC executive committees being impervious to good advice. :)
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Roger, Louis and Peter:

Go see David Lavin's post on the CFC Chess Forum - he has heard your pleas, all the way over there !

Bob

Comment

I mainly read the magazine when I'm not near a computer. I prefer to play out the games on a proper chess board. I don't really feel like I'm getting my money's worth for an online magazine...
              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

And what would be your comparables, Jordan ?

Comment

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can only get to one game of chess in the entire member's section that between I. Novikov and Oliver Schulte.

You can play it out move for move on a rather small 3"X3" ( laptop screen ) board. Annotations are in green print. If you press a wrong control button the game seems to flash many different positions at you , randomly.

The right hand side of the page contains a menu "frame". Most of the internal links produce blank pages. The featured columnist link gets you there, but where are the stories of these columnists to be found?

So far --- I AM NOT IMPRESSED!

To those that have waited 6 months for this: please be more patient.

Comment

I took a good look at this so-called webzine this morning after getting my CFC number from V. Chow. For some reason I thought that Lawrence Day was involved in this, so at least I was expecting some great stuff from Lawrence. That was not be...

After lots of clicking and finding empty links I think I managed to find the little meat there is in what seems to me to be just a website in its first steps. What chess material do we find in this first issue of the webzine ? A decent report on the World Youth championships (however not very current) and two articles on the olympiad that largely overlap each other by describing round by round match results that I already knew about (and contrary to popular beliefs I dont surf the web too much), two annotated games (one 2000 game with Informator style notes...), and little else, unless I missed one of the few links that is not empty... Let's face it I produce by myself more chess material in one day...

If the CFC plans to go back to its former "glory" with such a poor concept, I am afraid that the worst has yet to come. Can we really hope that former members will come back and pay for this ? Can we hope that this will attract new members when the web is crowded with hundreds of excellent chess sites full of interesting chess material ? Obviously the CFC is implementing a plan to reduce its costs, but where is the plan to promote chess, to provide needed services and promote them and to reach out to attract new people and get back former members ? Let's face it, having a website even if we call it a webzine, is nothing these days, unless it is one of the best of its kind.

To me this webzine is an even bigger disappointment than I expected. If I were a tournament organizer I would be devastated to have to count on it (which is in fact only a new version of the old CFC website) to advertise my events instead of a paper magazine that at least had the virtue to reach people at their homes. To top it off there is of course no french. The CFC has simply given up trying to be a national organisation (this is hardly news however) but it won't say so openly...

Comment

Inevitably, comparisons had to arise between the CFC
                      "Webzine" and Hébert Parle Echecs.

The advantages of Hébert Parle Echecs:
                      -- comes out like clockwork every Monday (I've noticed a
                      couple of early Tuesday appearances, but essentially....);
                      -- attractively presented in PDF which you can either
                      print or view on your computer;
                      -- well organized under the imprimatur of the editor and
                      main author, IM Jean Hébert;
                      -- consistent high quality of chess articles;
                      -- it's free.

beside which the CFC presence has:
                      -- variety;
                      -- potential.

Comment

If I'd had a password and known there was no proof reader (and they were going to launch during the Mercury Retrograde of Jan 11-Feb 1;) then I could have corrected three typos in the Bohatirchuk article: The missing move in Anand-Mamedyarov is 8.Re1; In the note to 21.Rf2 in Bohatirchuk-Kalotay 23.d4 looks right; in Makogonov-Bohatirchuk the opening sequence should read 1.d4 c5 2.d5 e5 3.Nc3 d6 4.Nc3 g6. That typo captured the next two diagrams en passant.

Comment

The Bohatirchuk article is a great read, but on the subject of typos: the Lasker-Capablanca encounter was at St. Petersburg 1914; the Havana Olympiad was in 1966; Andrew Duncan?

Comment

Hi all,

As much as this thread is loaded with some heavy-hitters with a penchant for being critical to the point of negative (e.g. Hebert rarely has anything remotely positive to say), I have to agree. There is much needed here in the way of improvement. I hope the CFC takes into account the dissatisfaction from its usual critics as well as its supporters. Try harder!

Mavros

Comment

Give the runner a chance!

Originally posted by Mavros Whissell View Post
                              Hi all,

As much as this thread is loaded with some heavy-hitters with a penchant for being critical to the point of negative (e.g. Hebert rarely has anything remotely positive to say), I have to agree. There is much needed here in the way of improvement. I hope the CFC takes into account the dissatisfaction from its usual critics as well as its supporters. Try harder!

Mavros
                              How many times I have visited a game store within weeks of it opening...my reaction...sheesh...these guys have very little to offer....I went back a year later and the shelves were full of goodies...yep...as the world will soon realize Barrack Obama will start with bare shelves...and if he is as good as we all hope he will be...in 4 years...we will say...we placed our bet on the right guy :)

Ooops...I was suppose to be talking about the new CFC on line magazine...well...I will let you figure out the message :)

Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X