Promoting Women's Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promoting Women's Chess

Now that Hou Yifan has regained her Women's World Championship title, and the title holder is now a worthy one (# 2 on the FIDE Women's List; over 2600 (2609), and only 87 points behind Judit Polgar, strongest woman ever, and once in the world's top 10), I think the time is right for some media attention to women's chess.

Judit is still substantially stronger than Yifan, though she would give Judit a run for her money.

So what about an exhibition match between Judit and Yifan!

But what is in it for Judit to agree to play her? My guess is it would take a pretty big sponsored prize fund.

But think of the headline media coverage:

"GM Judit Polgar, strongest woman in the world ever, and once in the top 10 in the world, vs the new generation woman, Yifan Hou, 19 year old current Women's World Champion!!!"

Just an idea.

Bob A

Re: Promoting Women's Chess

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Now that Hou Yifan has regained her Women's World Championship title, and the title holder is now a worthy one (# 2 on the FIDE Women's List; over 2600 (2609), and only 87 points behind Judit Polgar, strongest woman ever, and once in the world's top 10), I think the time is right for some media attention to women's chess.

Judit is still substantially stronger than Yifan, though she would give Judit a run for her money.

So what about an exhibition match between Judit and Yifan!

But what is in it for Judit to agree to play her? My guess is it would take a pretty big sponsored prize fund.

But think of the headline media coverage:

"GM Judit Polgar, strongest woman in the world ever, and once in the top 10 in the world, vs the new generation woman, Yifan Hou, 19 year old current Women's World Champion!!!"

Just an idea.

Bob A
    in 2012 Yifan beat Judit in Tradewise Gibraltar Tournament

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1655416

Comment

Something surely needs to be done to promote girls'/women's chess since currently Yifan Hou is the only "girl" in the world who cracks FIDE's top ten "best young players" by age categories. That is to say, the #1 "girl" in each and every age category, other than Yifan's U20 category, does not make the top 10 "boys & girls" list. Hard to believe but evidently true.

http://www.chess-teaching.com/world_youth_tops.php

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
        Something surely needs to be done to promote girls'/women's chess since currently Yifan Hou is the only "girl" in the world who cracks FIDE's top ten "best young players" by age categories. That is to say, the #1 "girl" in each and every age category, other than Yifan's U20 category, does not make the top 10 "boys & girls" list. Hard to believe but evidently true.

http://www.chess-teaching.com/world_youth_tops.php
        That could be a very interesting topic to discuss on this forum! I personally wonder how much attention that could bring to the topic especially from the chess players? Any opinions about that?

Comment

Working...
        X