Fritz13 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fritz13 question

Can someone give me a hint how to load a .pgn file into Fritz 13? I want to load the game and then step through it letting Fritz provide some analysis.
    Surely it must be easy but I find their whole GUI very confusing and the lack of any apparent help is quite annoying. I throw myself to the mercy of chess talkers...

Thanks (in advance)
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Fritz13 question

Don't have on my hands to test but
    * try to simple paste a game into a scoresheet window;
    * open as a database. Help file might be useful for exact steps

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      Don't have on my hands to test but
      * try to simple paste a game into a scoresheet window;
      * open as a database. Help file might be useful for exact steps
      - I am not certain that I tried to paste a .pgn file *exactly* onto the scoresheet area... I will try that later.
      (not only dragging a file to that area but actually trying to 'paste' the contents of the .pgn file)

- what help file? [That is one of many complaints I have about chessbase - their support section on their
      website is abysmal. Their in-product help is non-existent to useless.]

Thanks Egid. Perhaps someone who uses Fritz13 on a regular basis can chime in here (I certainly have not
      used it nearly enough for much of anything)

Comment

In Fritz 12 (which I rarely use because I can't figure it out), I went to "infinite analysis" and pasted the moves in pgn directly onto the game board. I didn't paste the header, though that might be okay.

Fritz is probably a good program, but the learning curve is very steep. I've got other things to do before I die.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
          In Fritz 12 (which I rarely use because I can't figure it out), I went to "infinite analysis" and pasted the moves in pgn directly onto the game board. I didn't paste the header, though that might be okay.

Fritz is probably a good program, but the learning curve is very steep. I've got other things to do before I die.
          Thanks John... it seems like this process has a chance of working. I'll try it tonight at home.

Comment

Hi Kerry - in Windows explorer point to the pgn file, right mouse button click and select open with - Fritz should be one of the options, if not select the chose default program and point to the chessprogram13.exe (probably in \program files (x86)\chessbase\chessprogram13).

If you are already running Fritz, select File -> open> (default database opens at this point), then do file -> open again and the usual windows file selection window opens. Change the filter in the lower right corner of this window to pgn and point to your pgn file.

Open a pgn file should be one of the options right from the main program window file. But it is not. German engineering.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Broughton View Post
              Hi Kerry - in Windows explorer point to the pgn file, right mouse button click and select open with - Fritz should be one of the options, if not select the chose default program and point to the chessprogram13.exe (probably in \program files (x86)\chessbase\chessprogram13).

If you are already running Fritz, select File -> open> (default database opens at this point), then do file -> open again and the usual windows file selection window opens. Change the filter in the lower right corner of this window to pgn and point to your pgn file.

Open a pgn file should be one of the options right from the main program window file. But it is not. German engineering.

Good luck
              Ok, I have found a few different ways to import the game (thanks Dave B. that seems to be most straightforward). Now I guess I am really at a loss because all I want to do is step through the game and see the dynamic analysis (especially from a particular point or two late in the game). So far, I have found ways to replay the game, but invoking the analysis is escaping me...

PS: I have found that F1 does bring up the help info - such as it is.

Comment

Contact Bob Armstrong.His email is posted
                on Michael Yips post on the sticky at the top
                of Chess Talk.:)

Comment

Hit the infinite analysis button when you want the program to start crunching.

Comment

Hi James:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I am a computer Neanderthal. Fortunately, I have a quite competent computer friend who set Fritz 13 up for me.

All I can do is describe - I copy some game from a database, and paste it into my own relevant database. I click on the game in the database, and get the screen with the board and score record. I click on "Engine" at the top (one of a number of options across the top), and Fritz is my default option. Then a Fritz analysis window opens at the bottom right under the score. I make move 1 on the board, and I get in the analysis box, 4 options for Black to respond, in descending order, with the valuation of the new position.

This occurs with every move, and I am able to determine the viability of the game move vs the best alternative. Sometimes the game move is the best. If not, the best move is shown in the analysis line 1.

I have no idea if this is trivial. But if it is of any help, great. It is this move by move analysis I use to annotate games in Toronto Chess News (TCN) - the index of which Michael Yip kindly reproduces on his blog, each time a TCN Issue comes out.

Bob A
                    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 8th October, 2013, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      Ok, I have found a few different ways to import the game (thanks Dave B. that seems to be most straightforward). Now I guess I am really at a loss because all I want to do is step through the game and see the dynamic analysis (especially from a particular point or two late in the game). So far, I have found ways to replay the game, but invoking the analysis is escaping me...

PS: I have found that F1 does bring up the help info - such as it is.
                      Hi Kerry:

I have older versions of Fritz/Hiarcs. On those versions, to bring up the analysis you want, either choose "Infinite Analysis" on the "Engine" menu, or you can toggle it with Alt-F2.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                        Hi Kerry:

I have older versions of Fritz/Hiarcs. On those versions, to bring up the analysis you want, either choose "Infinite Analysis" on the "Engine" menu, or you can toggle it with Alt-F2.

Steve
                        Thanks (to all). Even though I load a game into Fritz13 I swear there are times when Fritz just starts 'playing' (rather than analyzing) so I will have to pay seriously close attention to the exact steps I am performing. I had used 'infinite analysis' but the actual process of stepping through the game is annoyingly complicated to me. I will give it another shot tonight when I have more time to waste.

Comment

Thanks (to all). Even though I load a game into Fritz13 I swear there are times when Fritz just starts 'playing' (rather than analyzing)
                          Hi Kerry:

Fritz will do that if it is not in "Infinite Analysis". For looking at a game, I will paste the game into Fritz, then Use the "Full Analysis" option on the Tools menu (again this is from a much older version and I don't know if the interface has changed). This will have Fritz analyse the entire game. After that I will trigger "Infinite Analysis" and go through the game with the new annotations and variations produced by the "Full Analysis".

If you are entering any moves for your own curiosity (or just entering a game), make sure you have "Infinite Analysis" on, or Fritz will start playing.

When using "Full Analysis" it is often helpful to have an Openings Book loaded, otherwise Fritz will analyze right back to move 1 and you'll get all sorts of useless commentary about moves in the opening.

One of the useful things you can do with Fritz is enter a bunch of games in a database and then have Fritz do a full analysis of the games in a "batch" mode that you can let run overnight or so.

Steve

Comment

Can someone give me a hint how to load a .pgn file into Fritz 13? I want to load the game and then step through it letting Fritz provide some analysis.
                            Surely it must be easy but I find their whole GUI very confusing and the lack of any apparent help is quite annoying. I throw myself to the mercy of chess talkers...

Thanks (in advance)
                            From a text format.
                            1. Open a New Game.
                            2. Hover your mouse pointer to the Notation window.
                            3. CTRL V to paste the moves from PGN file.
                            4. That's it!

for a PGN file:
                            1. Right click on the PGN file.
                            2. Open with and Browse to the Fritz.exe.
                            Last edited by Ferdinand Supsup; Wednesday, 23rd October, 2013, 06:15 AM. Reason: option

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand Supsup View Post
                              From a text format.
                              1. Open a New Game.
                              2. Hover your mouse pointer to the Notation window.
                              3. CTRL V to paste the moves from PGN file.
                              4. That's it!

for a PGN file:
                              1. Right click on the PGN file.
                              2. Open with and Browse to the Fritz.exe.
                              Thanks Ferdinand (and others).

Comment

Working...
                              X