Kasparov going for FIDE Presidency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kasparov going for FIDE Presidency

This time, Kasparov is leading the charge rather than hiding behind Karpov. His program and slate are reported at
    http://www.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/...gn-081013.aspx .
    I guess he concluded he had a better shot at this than at the Russian presidency. Should be interesting.

Re: Kasparov going for FIDE Presidency

Kasparov's own website is over here.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Don't think GM Kasparov can win the FIDE Presidency, but hopefully some good debate and possible improvements will result from his candidacy.

Comment

The first shot from the other side.

http://www.chess-news.ru/en/node/13617

Return of The Prodigal Son. Ilyumzhinov Reflects on Kasparov's Decision

Tuesday, 08.10.2013

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov commented on the situation that emerged regarding the next year FIDE presidential elections.

"I have been getting the majority of votes since 1995," ITAR-TASS quotes Ilyumzhinov. "If talking of 2010 elections in which my rival was Anatoly Karpov, who was actually actively supported by Garry Kasparov, I had even double advantage. The same happened in 2006. There are no doubts that the very same thing will happen next year too. Well, maybe someone else will present his candidature today... Isn't it nice that sooner or earlier all world champions are trying themselves as presidential candidatures? Let's suggest them to get together - 12th, 13th, 14th champion - and run for the post together."

"I had several tasks when I was nominated in 1995: to save FIDE from bankruptcy, to unite chess world, to popularize chess as a sport, to make chess recognized by the IOC. Those tasks were accomplished. Now we only need to have chess at the winter Olympics. Chess in Schools project is also developing. So, there's still a lot of work to do, that's why I agreed to nominate myself for one more term. This is also my decision.

As regards to Kasparov's nomination - he is always much into PR. Once he wants to be Russia president, then he tries to be the leader of opposition. It's clear that now he needs FIDE president post for solving his own political tasks. It's doubtful that chess players will support him.

We have a different motto - "Gens una sumus" - "We are one people." Well, in general it's pleasant for me to see the return of the prodigal son, it seems like my work for chess development for 18 years wasn't done in vain."
        ++++++++++

I thought the (younger) prodigal son demanded part of his inheritance, squandered it and was still welcomed back by his loving father, joyously. I am trying to fit the above news story to the parable! Any help?!

Comment

The New York Times chimes in:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/29/wo...suit.html?_r=0

Comment

Working...
          X