Book Advice Requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Advice Requested

Practical Endgame Play - Beyond the Basics by Glenn Flear.

Does anyone own this book? What do you think of it? Would you recommend it for players in the 1600 to 2000 range?

Thanks for your help.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Re: Book Advice Requested

I own the book. I like it and use it when teaching my students. You can never own enough endgame books. I would recommend it for players in the 1600 to 2000 range and for players both higher and lower in rating.

Comment

It fills something of a gap in the literature in that in all the positions covered, at least one side (and generally both) have two pieces (excluding the king - rook vs two minors, queen vs rook and minor, two pieces vs two pieces, etc.). This in contrast to most endgame texts, where positions with one piece per side (or less) are the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
        Practical Endgame Play - Beyond the Basics by Glenn Flear.

Does anyone own this book? What do you think of it? Would you recommend it for players in the 1600 to 2000 range?
        Purpose for reading?
        It has many examples (a book is quite thick). Most of them are quite new (probably 15 years and less old).

Though, if you have never read Endgame Strategy by Mikhail Shereshevsky, get it better :)

Comment

It's pretty good. My only gripe: there is never an indication of which side is on move. If you want to guess the winning side's moves, you might have to start by cheating.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
              Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.
              Hi Peter:

Here are some links to reviews of the book. You've probably seen the Chesscafe reviews, but perhaps not the others.

Steve

Chesscafe review of the ebook:

http://www.chesscafe.com/hansen/hansen172.htm

Chesscafe review of the book itself:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review614.pdf

Jeremy Silman's review:

http://www.jeremysilman.com/shop/pc/...ay-78p3492.htm

John Donaldson's review:

http://web.archive.org/web/201205120...game_Play.html

Comment

Thanks, Steve. I had only seen the Silman review so I appreciate you sending those links. Also, nice to see you back at ChessTalk after almost 3 years!! :)

Comment

I own both books and would strongly agree with this.

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  Purpose for reading?
                  It has many examples (a book is quite thick). Most of them are quite new (probably 15 years and less old).

Though, if you have never read Endgame Strategy by Mikhail Shereshevsky, get it better :)
                  "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Thanks, Tom.

Comment

Hi Peter:

I've lurked here off and on for the past few years, just haven't been terribly active.

It was funny that you were asking about that particular book since I the "ebook" version of it had just been reviewed on Chesscafe and I had just read that review a day or so before your post.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X