Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yo Nigel...

I noticed you locked the other thread.

What exactly is the problem with posting an email address for the CFC on this or any message board?

When I was doing memberships and tournament for the CFC I gave my home address. I also did that when I was directing tournaments for the ICCF tournament office. The two of them were for a total of around 20 years. I also gave me main email address when I was directing ICCF tournaments. My home address was published in many places over the years including prisons as we supported chess for prisoners and newspaper chess columns.

In my opinion, there's a problem when a national chess federations main email and postal address can not be made public. Is there something to hide?
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Re: Yo Nigel...

My email is on my Chess Challenge website, and I get very little spam, maybe one item a week.

Comment

I used to get phone calls because my number is in the phone book. Also, some members dropped in. They thought it was an office rather than my home address. I got to meet some of the players that way.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I guess Nigel feels that even the bots don't go to the CFC home page where the CFC email address is displayed.....

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
          I guess Nigel feels that even the bots don't go to the CFC home page where the CFC email address is displayed.....
          You're right, Roger, the CFC contact information, including the email address. is on the CFC home page. I never noticed before, I guess I am as blind as a bot.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            I noticed you locked the other thread.

What exactly is the problem with posting an email address for the CFC on this or any message board?
            lol. I see you've misread my remarks. My point was to provide the e mail address without allowing bots to harvest it. This is a good practice that we should all do.
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

I think the bots harvesting an email address comes with operating a national organization.

Some security, like a virus checker and the delete key should get rid of spam emails.

It's a lot less annoying than the air duct cleaning constant calls. The ones which go: This is air duct cleaning calling and is barely understandable. To which I reply, I don't have no ducks. Only chickens and geese. Then hang up.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I think the bots harvesting an email address comes with operating a national organization.

Some security, like a virus checker and the delete key should get rid of spam emails.
                Spam filters and such help ... but I've been told that some people have simply abandoned one e mail account and set up another. Using an e mail account is old school, according to some. The kids use tweets, and texts, and social media such as Facebook and have pretty well abandoned e mail altogether. We're dinosaurs. lol.

Comment

I'm not on Facebook or Twitter.

In the other thread when you were discussing the Boxer memorial with Peter, I was going to tell you of my fond memories of Albert from when I was a junior. Maybe another time.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I'm not on Facebook or Twitter.

In the other thread when you were discussing the Boxer memorial with Peter, I was going to tell you of my fond memories of Albert from when I was a junior. Maybe another time.
                    That would be great. Here's one memory I've probably already shared. Albert used to twiddle the captured chess pieces in his hand. He did it so skillfully you just knew, if you had a brain and were watching, that he could drop it onto the board in a flash. His constant banter was like a carney's distraction technique. And this was when he was over 70. I can't imagine what he was like at a younger age.

Comment

Hey, I'm sorry if my little 'joke' had any consequences... such as giving an old timer a heart attack about a paypal transfer that already happened by the time of my posting said joke...

And for the record, young guys tell me I'm an old timer on a daily basis.

Yet, I consider myself in between. Not on facebook or twitter, but not old enough to be completely unable to read between the lines when it's on the INTERNET.

Regards,

Mathieu

Comment

Sometimes in the summer I would run into Albert downtown around lunch time. He used to buy my lunch at a nice restaurant and we'd play chess while we ate. I was under 20 and the restaurants were nice ones I wouldn't have been able to afford.

We wanted to get the game played so it was just eating and chess with no kibitzing.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                        X