Developing Chess Talent - book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing Chess Talent - book

Anyone read this book and able to comment on it? The reviews seem very positive.

Developing Chess Talent

In the short video on the site, Merijn van Delft reviews the overall structure and sections of the book. The .pdf file that is available includes the ToC, by the way, which is handy.

I think we had a little discussion here, or maybe on a Facebook page, about chess as science, sport or art. Van Delft addresses this from the point of view of chess training and the importance for a player to distinguish their roles ...

Originally posted by Merijn van Delft
    In preparation for a game you can be the scientist. When you're playing your game, you have to be the sportsman. When you're analyzing your game afterwards, you can become the scientist again. A little bit later when you are thinking about your analysis, you might even become the philosopher. So where is the problem? Well, if you're playing your game and started to be the philosopher already, you're gonna lose on time. So you have to be everything: you have to be the scientist, you have to be the sportsman, you have to be the philosopher. .. You have to do everything at the right time. This makes chess very interesting ... very complex...
    Anyway, the book looks like it may suffer from being an inch deep and a mile wide (to some extent) since it covers so much, but one reviewer noted that shorter sections provoke good questions for the reader who should, in any case, be doing his or her own thinking as it applies to themselves or their students.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Re: Developing Chess Talent - book

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
    Developing Chess Talent

I think we had a little discussion here
    I think it was more about possibilities to get/buy a book.

Comment

I bought a copy of the pdf using Paypal and look forward to reading it. Unfortunately the venders have yet to provide me with a link to download the beast. Of course it may be paypal's fault I have had some bad experience with paypal. Will write a review for chesstalk eventually!

Comment

Excellent! i look forward to your review.

Comment

This is a very good book on the subject of chess training and developing a chess culture in a community or a club. I have used it often as a reference and is probably the only book on the subject which focuses on chess. It probably could have used some stronger editing and organization. At times it feels like a series of essays or magazine articles pasted together. One does get the sense that this is written by individuals who while somewhat fluent in English are not totally comfortable with the language. That said, this book is very, very good. The book is very dense with a lot of information presented. The advice seems quite sound and it seems to have worked for them and to the extent that I apply it, it has worked for me.

Comment

Yes, it seems like a good addition to the library of any chess teacher, coach, organizer, or player seeking improvement. That's pretty well all of us.

Comment

Working...
            X