Spraggett quotes from long ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spraggett quotes from long ago

In 1986, GM Kevin Spraggett gave a lecture and simultaneous exhibition in Victoria BC. Here are some random quotes from that lecture, which I have just found in an old file box:

"The influence of fashion is very strong in chess."

"Many inaccuracies can be explained by the player thinking he is better when he isn't."

"Moves do not make sense in isolation -- only when they are joined with other moves."

"The tournament winner is usually the most objective player, not necessarily the best player."

"I believe that it is only in relatively clear positions that you can speak of a 'best' move."

"Creative players can often find new, more objective evaluations and plans in previously discarded lines by being very logical and practical, and thinking out what the true effects of a move are, and also checking to see if the feared plan is actually decisive."

'If you're going to attack, you must have it prepared first. It's a bad sign if you have to manoeuvre after making a bayonet stab."

Re: Spraggett quotes from long ago

Someone hopefully can dig up the old (1980s?) CFC Bulletin article that gives Spraggett's exact wording concerning his opinion that until you're 2300, all that you're doing is learning the rudiments of chess.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Reminds me of those GMs that imply everyone below 1800 or so is a 'beginner'...

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
        I recall someone noting that Nigel Short witnessed game(s) between such players not that long ago, and he remarked that he had forgotten that chess was played like this.
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
          What do you expect from tourists? LOL

Comment

Of course, there is the more recent and likely much more famous quote: "resign, moron!"
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Thanks to Dan Scoones for digging this up. At that time, GM Kevin Spraggett had just become a Grandmaster, in conjunction with his qualification for the World Championship cycle in 1985, and the first-ever appearance by a Canadian at a Candidates tournament (Montpellier 1985). Seems almost like another lifetime ago now, with all the changes that have taken place in chess since. But Kevin is still playing actively and successfully today; that is one thing that has NOT changed! :) Another thing that has not changed is that millions of people are still chasing the magic of playing their best chess! :)

Comment

It can be argued that the first de facto candidates' event was New York 1889, which included Canadian Nicholas MacLeod.

Comment

I have trouble thinking of 1986 as "long ago". The fall of Rome was "long ago". 1986? Hardly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                    I have trouble thinking of 1986 as "long ago". The fall of Rome was "long ago". 1986? Hardly.
                    lol

Made me think of a short story(?) that began something like: "A long, long time ago - around a week last Saturday..."

Comment

Replying to Stephen Wright's post: I had never heard this idea before, that New York 1889 was the first 'Candidates' event, and that Nicholas MacLeod was a participant. Perhaps Stephen can tell us more about this event, which was, in fact, 'long ago!'

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        lol

Made me think of a short story(?) that began something like: "A long, long time ago - around a week last Saturday..."
                        That's from J.R.R. Tolkien. harrumph. (Or maybe A.A. Milne.)
                        Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Thursday, 17th October, 2013, 12:30 PM.
                        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                          Well, they're not exactly "recent" either. It was probably better to say "from 1986."
                          Last edited by Dan Scoones; Thursday, 17th October, 2013, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                            That's from J.R.R. Tolkien. harrumph.
                            Really?? I would like to know which book... I haven't really read much if any of his work!

Comment

Long ago in the quiet of the world ...

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              Really?? I would like to know which book... I haven't really read much if any of his work!
                              I've done a quick look for the quote I vaguely remembered and came up with the following:

Originally posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
                              By some curious chance one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green, and the hobbits were still numerous and prosperous, and Bilbo Baggins was standing at his door after breakfast smoking an enormous long wooden pipe that reached nearly down to his woolly toes (neatly brushed) - Gandalf came by. Gandalf!

The Hobbit or There and Back Again (Revised Edition), Ballantine Books, NY, 1973, p. 17
                              ... which is not quite right. I am thinking that perhaps the quote is from A.A. Milne's "Winnie the Pooh". Will investigate.
                              Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Thursday, 17th October, 2013, 12:26 PM. Reason: bibliographical information
                              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
                              X