Book available? The Hague-Moscow 1948

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book available? The Hague-Moscow 1948

Over the weekend, Carlsen tweeted that Euwe's account of the round robin following Alekhine's death is now available in English!
    His tweet pointed to this: http://www.newinchess.com/Shop/Produ...ProductID=2772

Our Price: £ 20,95 (Paying in GBP £ only for customers in the UK)

Publisher: Russell Enterprises, 2013
    Edition: Paperback medium
    ISBN: 978-1-936490-69-1
    Pages: 240
    Language: English

Just wondering if Strategy Games will have this in stock (and the price?)... I likely will order one!
    Last edited by Kerry Liles; Tuesday, 15th October, 2013, 10:37 AM. Reason: New In Chess pricing info
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Book available? The Hague-Moscow 1948

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    Over the weekend, Carlsen tweeted that Euwe's account of the round robin following Alekhine's death is now available in English!
    His tweet pointed to this: http://www.newinchess.com/Shop/Produ...ProductID=2772

Our Price: £ 20,95 (Paying in GBP £ only for customers in the UK)

Publisher: Russell Enterprises, 2013
    Edition: Paperback medium
    ISBN: 978-1-936490-69-1
    Pages: 240
    Language: English

Just wondering if Strategy Games will have this in stock (and the price?)... I likely will order one!
    Bumping... Larry?

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      Bumping... Larry?
      Hi Kerry,

Yes we have it:

http://strategygames.ca/boutique/sto...e=EN&code=TA82

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        Thanks! NO idea why I couldn't find it with a search... stand by for an order from me.

Comment

My copy of The Hague-Moscow 1948 Tournament for the World Chess Championship book came last week. It has the fine production one expects from publications of Russell Enterprises.

From the Foreword by Hans Ree:

“The match-tournament of 1948 in The Hague and Moscow was one of the most important events in the history of chess. It produced a new world champion, Mikhail Botvinnik, and it was also the start of a new era in which the championship would be regulated by FIDE by means of an intricate system of qualification tournaments that would function with only small changes for decades.

When Alexander Alekhine died on March 24, 1946, negotiations for a championship match between him and Botvinnik were well underway. The possibility of this match had already been discussed by the two players in Amsterdam right after the AVRO tournament of 1938.

It had been the intention of the Dutch broadcasting company, AVRO, that their tournament would produce a challenger for Alekhine, and at the time it was indeed considered by many to be a candidates tournament. But not by Alekhine himself, who had never agreed to this. The winner of AVRO was Paul Keres, who shared first place with Reuben Fine, but with a better tie-break score. Botvinnik finished third.”

The war broke out in Europe in 1939 and put an end to speculation about a match for the crown.

FIDE took a hand in the matter after the war and eventually the tournament was held in 1948 with the first two legs held in The Hague and the last three in Moscow.

The participants were Botvinnik, Smyslov, Reshevsky, Keres and Euwe. Fine withdrew earlier and Najdorf was considered and then dropped.
          Round One began Tuesday, March 2, 1948. On Sunday, May 16, 1948 Round Twenty-Five ended the tournament. Two days later, Mikhail Botvinnik was proclaimed the new champion.

Max Euwe wrote a splendid account of this historic event. It includes a review of all previous encounters of the participants, background information, as well as all the games of the tournament deeply annotated by Euwe. What more could one want?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
            My copy of The Hague-Moscow 1948 Tournament for the World Chess Championship book came last week. It has the fine production one expects from publications of Russell Enterprises.

My copy arrived on Monday... it is a very good quality printing and after some skimming and reading the Foreward, I am eager to dig into the book.
            The narratives seem to be very balanced and fair and the historical accounts are very interesting. Of course, the raw games can be had elsewhere
            but the annotations seem to also be very good. (First impressions)

Comment

Working...
            X