New FIDE rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New FIDE rules

I hope Hal can tell us more about this, but until then, this is a small selection from US Chess Federation website:

Another significant change for titles is that those earned as result of rating, i.e., FM, WFM, CM and WCM will now require 27 games, just like the norm-based titles. Prior to this change, players could get an FM title, for example, if the initial 9-game rating was at least 2300.
    We are quite familiar with the 3-fold repetition of position and the 50-move rule. Both of these require a claim by a player. However, now the arbiter can declare the game a draw, without a claim, after 5-fold repetition and the new 75-move rule. The requirements remain the same as in the old rules.
    In order to resolve the issue of players making a move before the opponent presses the clock, the rule that "once a player makes a move, his previous moves are considered to have been made" was added.

Re: New FIDE rules

Comments by Geurt Gijssen: http://www.chesscafe.com/geurt/geurt184.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
      I am wondering if for example a player can ask the arbiter during the game to explain "3 fold repetition rule" based on this:

12.6 A player shall have the right to request from the arbiter an explanation of particular points
      in the Laws of Chess.

Comment

Everyone should make sure to note that the changes come into force July 1, 2014
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

The following seems horrible... (from Rapidplay competition rules)

A4.b An illegal move is completed once the player has pressed his clock. If the arbiter observes this, he shall declare the game lost by the player, provided the opponent has not made his next move. If the arbiter does not intervene, the opponent is entitled to claim a win, provided the opponent has not made his next move. However, the game is drawn if the position is such that the opponent cannot checkmate the player's king by any possible series of legal moves. If the opponent does not claim and the arbiter does not intervene, the illegal move shall stand and the game shall continue. Once the opponent has made his next move, an illegal move cannot be corrected unless this is agreed by the players without intervention of the arbiter.

The content of Article 4.b is one of the major changes from 1 July 2014. Until 1 July 2014 the arbiter may not call an illegal move. From 1 July 2014 he shall call an illegal move and even declare the game lost by this player, provided the opponent did not make his next move and the opponent has still the possibility to checkmate the player's king. The other parts of this Article were not changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post

A4.b An illegal move is completed once the player has pressed his clock. If the arbiter observes this, he shall declare the game lost by the player, provided the opponent has not made his next move. If the arbiter does not intervene, the opponent is entitled to claim a win, provided the opponent has not made his next move. However, the game is drawn if the position is such that the opponent cannot checkmate the player's king by any possible series of legal moves. If the opponent does not claim and the arbiter does not intervene, the illegal move shall stand and the game shall continue. Once the opponent has made his next move, an illegal move cannot be corrected unless this is agreed by the players without intervention of the arbiter.

The content of Article 4.b is one of the major changes from 1 July 2014. Until 1 July 2014 the arbiter may not call an illegal move. From 1 July 2014 he shall call an illegal move and even declare the game lost by this player, provided the opponent did not make his next move and the opponent has still the possibility to checkmate the player's king. The other parts of this Article were not changed.
            I'm not a habitual rapid/blitz player, so maybe I'm missing something, but what is so horrible about this ruling? By the way, in Club and local weekend Swiss play, arbiter intervention will likely not be feasible other than maybe on the top boards.

Comment

Why wouldn't the Arbiter be able to intervene? All that needs to happen is either the Arbiter needs to observe the fact of the illegal move being played or have an opponent claim it. It is awful because this rules would also apply to club events as well where players are often making such mistakes. In blitz if that happens that is not so bad because you usually have quite a few games in a given blitz tournament, but that is not the case in a Rapid and it can really affect quite a few games.

I just don't understand why forfeit a player in a Rapid game in the first place.

Comment

I just don't understand why forfeit a player in a Rapid game in the first place.
                For disturbances :) Something like a phone ring some years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  For disturbances :) Something like a phone ring some years ago.
                  I am honestly beginning to think that some of the guys who come up with these rules sit in a room and try to figure out what else can they forfeit players for.
                  I can just see this situation where you have a new player coming to the chess club, because he is interested in chess. He enters his first tournament which is a Rapid, but then making an illegal move, as he is not used to playing with the clock and gets nervous in time pressure. The Tournament director than runs forward and forfeits the game. So this new player is than disgusted that he got the loss and probably also embarrassed, so he never comes back to the club...

Comment

I am honestly beginning to think that some of the guys who come up with these rules sit in a room and try to figure out what else can they forfeit players for.
                    I can just see this situation where you have a new player coming to the chess club, because he is interested in chess. He enters his first tournament which is a Rapid, but then making an illegal move, as he is not used to playing with the clock and gets nervous in time pressure. The Tournament director than runs forward and forfeits the game. So this new player is than disgusted that he got the loss and probably also embarrassed, so he never comes back to the club...
                    I agree, - very good example! Many FIDE rules are a joke. In my rapid tournaments, an illegal move with the clock punched, awards the opponent one minute added to his time. So far this has been accepted as a fair penalty.

Comment

Hi,

I am a bit confused here. What's stopping an arbiter from using his discretion (announcing it in advance of rapid tournament if needs be) against this new FIDE rule? Why would a beginner who just walked into a club be playing in a FIDE-rated Rapid event? Do these actually happen regularly? In Canada at least?
                      A few years back FIDE made it into a default rule for FIDE rated tournaments, that if a player is not at the board at the announced starting time, he/she forfeits immediately. How many tournament organizers in Canada have adopted this?

If someone, who is a beginner and just walked into a chess club, and somehow starts his over-the-board chess journey in a FIDE-rated rapid tournament, made 4 or 5 illegal moves during a rapid game, would you not forfeit the player after a warning anyway? Is it not distracting to his opponent / others?

It seems to me that arbiters and organizers (will) continue to hold a lot of discretion and have many things to be decided by their own judgement. And this should probably be so, regardless of what rules (some of these rules are probably best seen as suggested guidelines, or defaults) FIDE comes up with.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                        Hi,

I am a bit confused here. What's stopping an arbiter from using his discretion (announcing it in advance of rapid tournament if needs be) against this new FIDE rule? Why would a beginner who just walked into a club be playing in a FIDE-rated Rapid event? Do these actually happen regularly? In Canada at least?
                        A few years back FIDE made it into a default rule for FIDE rated tournaments, that if a player is not at the board at the announced starting time, he/she forfeits immediately. How many tournament organizers in Canada have adopted this?

If someone, who is a beginner and just walked into a chess club, and somehow starts his over-the-board chess journey in a FIDE-rated rapid tournament, made 4 or 5 illegal moves during a rapid game, would you not forfeit the player after a warning anyway? Is it not distracting to his opponent / others?

It seems to me that arbiters and organizers (will) continue to hold a lot of discretion and have many things to be decided by their own judgement. And this should probably be so, regardless of what rules (some of these rules are probably best seen as suggested guidelines, or defaults) FIDE comes up with.

Alex Ferreira
                        while there are probably zero FIDE rated rapid events in Canada, in principle, CFC rules are identical to FIDE rules.

as regards immediate forfeits for not being at the board at the start of the round, while it is not AFAIK done any where in Canada, it is not clear to me how careful organizers are in announcing that they are not using the FIDE default policy as required. I would bet that you can find tournaments where the required announcement is not made. I use a generic policy page where I store all of these kinds of things so that I don't have to remember them or take up space on the main tournament site so that there is no chance for a dispute. ( http://grandpacificopen.pbworks.com/...18009/Policies ) The BCCF also passed a motion that the default standard in BC is a one hour grace rule on it's policy page ( http://www.chess.bc.ca/Policy.shtml ) although I suppose that could be challenged by someone as not being obvious to someone visiting the province.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                          while there are probably zero FIDE rated rapid events in Canada, in principle, CFC rules are identical to FIDE rules.

as regards immediate forfeits for not being at the board at the start of the round, while it is not AFAIK done any where in Canada, it is not clear to me how careful organizers are in announcing that they are not using the FIDE default policy as required. I would bet that you can find tournaments where the required announcement is not made. I use a generic policy page where I store all of these kinds of things so that I don't have to remember them or take up space on the main tournament site so that there is no chance for a dispute. ( http://grandpacificopen.pbworks.com/...18009/Policies ) The BCCF also passed a motion that the default standard in BC is a one hour grace rule on it's policy page ( http://www.chess.bc.ca/Policy.shtml ) although I suppose that could be challenged by someone as not being obvious to someone visiting the province.
                          The zero late policy is not really a default one because, in order to implement it you now have to create a countdown clock and post it in the tournament room, so essentially if you don't have it, it doesn't apply. In official FIDE events they make sure to have it but I think that there are very few tournaments that are not official and have this policy.
                          One thing that does appear in the new rules is a more clear way to avoid forfeiting players for cellphone violations as long as the rule is announced ahead of time.

As for the forfeit for illegal moves, CFC rules are the same as FIDE rules and in this new rule it doesn't appear like the Arbiters are given any choice. Of course a tournament organizer can create new rules but if its a rated event there could be an appeal against any decision which goes against the official rules.

Comment

There is another change, the interdiction to call violations of Article 4, which include the "touch move" rule, has been removed. So the Arbiter will have the right to call "touch move" violations, two handed play...

Comment

Arbiters do not make rules, they enforce existing rules. Rules are made by FIDE, the CFC and the FQE. If the rapid tournament is not FIDE rated, CFC and FQE could make their own rules provided that they do not try to induce the public in error about the FIDE rules. The NHL does not use IIHF rules and does not claim that NHL rules are IIHF rules.

An Appeal could and should be made if the arbiter has not followed the rules.

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                              Hi,

I am a bit confused here. What's stopping an arbiter from using his discretion (announcing it in advance of rapid tournament if needs be) against this new FIDE rule?

Comment

Working...
                              X