Announcement regarding the Olympiad Fund on Friday evening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcement regarding the Olympiad Fund on Friday evening

As you know, the CFC hired me to approach the corporate sector for sponsorship for our Olympiad teams. We've had to take a few steps first. Thanks to Vincent Chow, the CFC's web master, we've spruced up the CFC's web site. But the next step is the most important of all. We have to show the corporate sector that we support our own. Our target is $5,000 from 100 donors.

So far, we only have $2,265 from 13 donors (with another $1,400 pledged). We've asked the CFC Governors to donate. But how to get the rest of the way? Well, it's your turn. Friday's announcement will tell you how your donation - even a small one - will count for maximum value.

Briefly, a few points we need to clear up before Friday. I think these have been talked about elsewhere. But, once and for all to settle these things, my personal opinion:

1. The CFC's legal problems do not affect the Olympiad Fund. You know very well the state of the Canadian legal system. Any civil law case against the CFC would take years to be settled. We need donations before July 12 so the CFC can register the teams and buy their airplane tickets.

2. The CFC's tax status does not affect small donations such as the $25 I am asking of you. If the CFC were to ever lose its registered charity status and your tax receipt were to be revoked, then how much money will you be out? Maybe a few dollars. If you're really affected by this, then donate $20 instead of $25.

3. We have to send 2 teams. This is FIDE's most prestigous event after the World Championship. Every nation will be there. We cannot be absent in any way from the Olympiad. We're only going to get corporate sponsorship in the future if we show that we support our own.

Please, let's get behind our Olympiad Teams. Your donation is needed now. Friday's announcement will tell you exactly how to get the most benefit to the CFC from your donation.

David
    bw998@freenet.carleton.ca
    www.chess.ca/olympiad.htm

Re: Announcement regarding the Olympiad Fund on Friday evening

Great work David! I thank you for taking this on and providing timely updates and clear information. One minor question comes to mind though: does this mean one should *wait* until after the Friday announcement to donate?! I get this impression from the implication that there will be added benefit from donations after Friday...

I am "between jobs" at the moment, but I will donate $50 - let me know when would be most beneficial.

Time for Chess TALKERS to put their money where their mouth is.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Kerry,

I didn't want to discourage anyone from donating earlier, but yes, next week is better!

David

Comment

I understand. Might as well take advantage of the doubling cube! Next week it is.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
        X