Canadian Youth team at 2013 WYCC in UAE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Youth team at 2013 WYCC in UAE

With 2 months to go, Canada has 40 registered players so far.

Our number #1 player is the only player ever to finish twice in the top 3 at WYCC, Canadian Junior Champion IM Richard Wang.

The only category where we will not have a representative is U18 Open.

Canadian team LINK
    Attached Files

Re: Canadian Youth team at 2013 WYCC in UAE

Thank you for the link, Andrei. I see 7 registered players from Israel. Maybe I scared too much about going with Mark to UAE (Mark has a Canadian passport, but was born in Israel).

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
      Thank you for the link, Andrei. I see 7 registered players from Israel. Maybe I scared too much about going with Mark to UAE (Mark has a Canadian passport, but was born in Israel).
      I believe for an extra fee is not to late to register Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
        Thank you for the link, Andrei. I see 7 registered players from Israel. Maybe I scared too much about going with Mark to UAE...
        The UAE is much more dangerous for Emirati nationals (people who live there) than for visitors bringing money and (especially!) credibility to the regime. Some particulars over here from August 2012. The winds of Islah (reform in Arabic) have been criminalized.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

We started our team blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
            We started our team blog!
            Maybe you can get a link onto the CFC Website homepage. And take out the reference to the 2012 team website.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Maybe you can get a link onto the CFC Website homepage. And take out the reference to the 2012 team website. Bob
              If you can get anything done on the CFC website we'll give you a round of applause. The "recent photos" section still says that Eric and Bator will be playing in the World Cup starting August 10.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                If you can get anything done on the CFC website we'll give you a round of applause. The "recent photos" section still says that Eric and Bator will be playing in the World Cup starting August 10.
                I thought someone was responsible for the content on the web site. The CFC is paying big money to get things done but maybe how fast is another thing.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi All:

As far as I know, the general web content update falls to a CFC Volunteer. As such, unfortunately, updating does fall behind.

It is not in the job description of the E.D., Michael von Keitz, nor the CCN Editor, John Upper (nor the on-line news feed team).

Bob , CFC PRC

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                    Hi All:

As far as I know, the general web content update falls to a CFC Volunteer. As such, unfortunately, updating does fall behind.
                    I don't understand that reasoning. If a volunteer isn't doing the work in a timely manner why doesn't he simply step aside. Being a volunteer is no excuse for not doing a job in a timely manner. After all, taking a volunteer position is assuming a responsibility.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      I don't understand that reasoning. If a volunteer isn't doing the work in a timely manner why doesn't he simply step aside. Being a volunteer is no excuse for not doing a job in a timely manner. After all, taking a volunteer position is assuming a responsibility.
                      Hi Gary:

Unfortunately, one of the big problems with volunteers is that you can't fire them. It's a real problem when nobody else wants the job.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                        Hi Gary:

Unfortunately, one of the big problems with volunteers is that you can't fire them. It's a real problem when nobody else wants the job.

Steve
                        Hi Guys:

If I'm right, the volunteer who has taken on updating CFC website content is one of CFC's busiest volunteers - he is, I think, somewhat swamped.

And I don't know if any other volunteer has come forward, who can do the job, to step in and take over. And I don't know if there are somewhat high criteria for anyone volunteering to do this, given it is the CFC face to the world (though admittedly, it is not great having dated material on it either).

Bob - CFC Public Relations Coordinator

Comment

Hi Bob:

My post wasn't intended to denigrate whoever the particular volunteer is, moreso the CFC for choosing to go the volunteer route rather than allocating funds to accommodate website updates. The CFC relies upon lots of volunteers who are rarely thanked, and almost never rewarded.

Steve

Comment

The CFC relies upon lots of volunteers who are rarely thanked, and almost never rewarded.
                            I was recently told, in an email from another organizer, that I was too old and past it and it was time to think about retiring. You want more recognition than that??

Comment

Hi Gary:

Steve
                              I used to "ask" volunteers who weren't performing satisfactorily to resign. I found it easier to fill vacant positions.

I notice on the CFC web site under volunteer opportunities they aren't even looking for a replacement. I don't know who it is but when he gets around to updating the board maybe he should add his position.

I also notice they are looking for a representative of the Canadian Correspondence Chess Association. If that's not filled and nobody else wants it, I'll take it. I'm a CCCA life member. How's that for filling positions?

Gary
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X