Blindfold Chess - what do you see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blindfold Chess - what do you see?

Yes its a good skill to practice. See also post #24 above about GM Andy Soltis writing about board vision and exercising your minds eye.

Comment

The left hemisphere contains a "translation", whose task is to make the otherwise puzzling case, a reasonable explanation. If the explanation used by the blind players, I would not believe his explanation of how to play the game.
      Canon CLI-8 | HP 940XL

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
        Is it standard in competitions (or simuls) to have a board visible? Myself I would find it easier to trace things out if I could see the squares.

As a matter of practice, what do you think of playing semi-blind through a paper book with diagrams, and trying to follow the moves in between diagrams. I find even that is challenging if there's more than 6 moves. Do you think that is a valuable exercise for developing chess skill? As opposed to playing through with a board and pieces?
        I do that all the time, it saves time while reading and allows me to stalk potential competitor's games in tourneys since I have so much time to stroll around. I thought everyone read chess books without boards.
        Shameless self-promotion on display here
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Your in an unique minority Bindi:D - most of todays players dont even read chess books. I should do a survey of young players (say under age 25) but Im afraid a survey on chesstalk would be meaningless.

Comment

i've played games with no pieces, but you write down the moves, and it wasn't that bad...a lot easier to remember if the bishop is on d6 or e6 if it's written down infront of you ;)

Craig

Comment

The English player Peter Lalic (FIDE 2100) has a series of videos on youtube where he plays blindfolded against chess engine Fritz (set at 1900) 7 minutes a game and explains the variations he thinks thru for the benefit of the viewers. Good comfortable introduction to the thinking involved in blindfold chess and good blindfold training.

Comment

Last club night I decided to avoid the challenges of the speed chess regulars (all they want to do is play until they win by a cheapo = quick fix) and went home early and Im glad I did. I picked up Logical Chess Move by Move by Irving Chernev (now in algebraic form) which I had not read in about 40 years and read it by visualising the games and ignoring repetitive notes. I must say it was an enjoyable read and 4 hours later I had visualised 3/4 of the book. A great way for the beginning student to first learn openings. I have a keen student who is a well known guitar player and 67 yrs old! and I recently taught him to play blindfold chess. (brave man!) He was very eager to learn after hearing about my blindfold stories and has picked it up quite well. I will encourage him to get the book (Logical Chess Move by Move) and this will accomplish two things: make him even better at visualising and give him a good approach to openings and finishing games.

Comment

http://tvo.org/video/207857/redsign-my-brain From 1 minute 50 seconds to roughly 4 minutes in this interesting video it shows Marc Lang doing a 12 board rapid blindfold simultaneous exhibition. Marc claims he opens a room in his mind where all the games are and when he asks it shows him the next game position.

Comment

Working...
                  X