2014 Keres Memorial details announced. (Vancouver)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Keres Memorial details announced. (Vancouver)

Details for the 39th annual Keres Memorial have been announced and are at: www.keresmemorial.pbworks.com

Guaranteed prize fund $4000.
    May 17-19, 2014
    Richmond, BC

Re: 2014 Keres Memorial details announced. (Vancouver)

I'm really happy to see the new rule limiting players' ability to play up sections unless they fall within a specific rating range. I hope it helps, and would even like to see it tightened up to 100 points.

Also, for unrated players, I'd like to see them limited to U1600 (or U1800 where applicable) unless they have a corresponding USCF or FIDE rating. I find it unlikely that an unrated player is better than your average junior in these sections who is advancing quickly. And if you look back, you see just that. Unrated players playing in the Open section, and losing every game. It doesn't make sense.

Anyway, enjoyed the 2013 Keres. I'm sure 2014 will be a great tournamant as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Hoyer View Post
      I'm really happy to see the new rule limiting players' ability to play up sections unless they fall within a specific rating range. I hope it helps, and would even like to see it tightened up to 100 points.

Also, for unrated players, I'd like to see them limited to U1600 (or U1800 where applicable) unless they have a corresponding USCF or FIDE rating. I find it unlikely that an unrated player is better than your average junior in these sections who is advancing quickly. And if you look back, you see just that. Unrated players playing in the Open section, and losing every game. It doesn't make sense.

Anyway, enjoyed the 2013 Keres. I'm sure 2014 will be a great tournamant as well.
      An unrated player has a lot of incentives to play in the bottom section. Lower entry fee, plus playing up involves not only a higher EF but a play up per section fee, the unrated prize, and if in the bottom section, we pay for a CFC membership. So the monetary difference is upwards of $80. Still, some people are up for it.

It's certainly true that the typical unrated player should be in the bottom section but occasionally, someone comes along who actually is an experienced player but for some reason has no accessible rating anywhere (some immigrants from somewhere unusual for example). There are typically not too many unrated players though so there is no big issue to solve unlike the phenomena of U1600 players playing in the top section.

Comment

True. I guess each person can only abuse the system once. The one case I saw, the player ended up with a 1500-ish rating, which would at least limit them from playing in the Open section the next time around.

Thanks for your attention to these types of problems, and for addressing them, rather than taking on the "that's how we've always done it" attitude that I've often seen (not only in Chess but elsewhere).

Comment

Working...
        X