Raja Panjwani's GM norm at SPICE CUP in St. Louis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raja Panjwani's GM norm at SPICE CUP in St. Louis

I just wanted to say that Raja's performance was an awesome powerplay against respected grand masters and best was that I got to follow it while playing there. I kept congratulating him after every game and then realized I was over doing it and toned it back. (but it was hard to do). Raja played 6 consecutive games against grandmasters after he played me and then finished with a win against an IM and a last round struggle against Le Quang Liem who is a monster chess player. According to Raja Le Quang risked losing at several points by trying extra hard to avoid drawing positions but ended up drawing anyways! Some other highlights: Raja was tied for first or within half a point from the beginning to the end! He crushed the Yermolator in round 4. Legendary GM Yermolinsky had an unusual awesome tournament and I think only lost to Raja. Raja only lost to Ipatov and I believe was +1 against 7 GM's (and some very big names). Ipatov won the tournament on tie breaks I believe but the sensational Kayden Troff made a comeback and won with the black pieces in the last round to tie for first and his 2nd GM norm. None of the super star GM's could streak thru the tournament and it was a stressfully close field with many upsets. I sat down at breakfast the morning after the tournament with Raja and Leonid Gherzhoy and enjoyed over an hours chat with them on some great chess topics. Raja was very complimentary - saying my first round debacle (my words) against him helped to get him started on a magnificent run. After the tournament he was going to Websters for a good analysis session. Id like to report that I think soon Kitchener will have its first GM (Lawrence Day was born there but did all of his chess elsewhere and our best player from there was IM Deen Hergott but I think now that Raja has gone beyond) and Canada will soon have two new GM's - Gerzhoy and Panjwani. Congratulations Raja on a terrific performance and a great start on the path to GM!

Re: Raja Panjwani's GM norm at SPICE CUP in St. Louis

Thanks to Hans for his two wonderful posts on the St. Louis event. He is CLASSY all the time!! :) I'll treasure my friendship and post-mortem with Hans, after he defeated me in fine style at the Ontario Open, Brantford 2004.

Hans might have added that IM Aman Hambleton is also approaching GM level, with a FIDE rating of 2495, and it will be interesting to see which of Aman, Leonid, and Raja will claim the GM title first!

Comment

Yes it will be a good race Frank and very nice to see on the Canadian chess scene after so many years dry spell.

Comment

There is also IM. Tomas KRNAN with his first GM. norm achieved in this year as well! Just be fair gays!!!

Comment

Working...
        X