"How to be Hip on 64 Squares"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "How to be Hip on 64 Squares"

This was the CBC TV special about the 1968 Canadian Open, held at Hart House in Toronto. It was shown in the fall of 1968 - part of it showed several minutes of me playing a blitz tournament game against Bruce Amos.

Unfortunately - it looks like the original video is gone, but there are some photos on file at the National Archives in Ottawa (might be the CBC Archives; I can't find where the link came from).

Have a look at http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000002328.pdf and do a search for "squares". There are three references to documents from this show. Next time I'm in Ottawa, I'll try to take a look.

Re: "How to be Hip on 64 Squares"

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    This was the CBC TV special about the 1968 Canadian Open, held at Hart House in Toronto. It was shown in the fall of 1968 - part of it showed several minutes of me playing a blitz tournament game against Bruce Amos.

Unfortunately - it looks like the original video is gone, but there are some photos on file at the National Archives in Ottawa (might be the CBC Archives; I can't find where the link came from).

Have a look at http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000002328.pdf and do a search for "squares". There are three references to documents from this show. Next time I'm in Ottawa, I'll try to take a look.
    Hi Hugh,

Welcome back!

Hope you had a good time in Germany. Care to share your chess experiences there :).

Larry

PS MonRoi is alive and well...Zeljka contacted me last week.

Comment

Re: "How to be Hip on 64 Squares"

I didn't try too hard to search for chess in Germany - not much free time. I did run into a giant outdoor set in a park in Offenbach (suburb of Frankfurt). Two older guys were playing, and spectators were giving lots of advice. The clubs I found on the Internet were all too far from my hotels - as was Chessbase in Hamburg.

Comment

Working...
      X