Dan Surlan passed away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Surlan passed away

For those of you who wondered about Dan Surlan and where he was (as I did) there were rumours that he had left London Ontario for Kitchener two years ago to enter a nursing home. My friend Stuart sent me an email today that mentioned that he had tracked Dan Surlan's whereabouts to Glencoe and a nursing home there where he passed away last February. Dan would have turned 80 this year. Dan Surlan immigrated from the former Yugoslavia to Canada via Germany in 1964. He played and placed well in the Ontario Open in 1965 and played countless tournaments over the next 40 years. Dan's forte was speed chess and opening innovations discovered by extensive opening prep (before computers). He was known to have beat several grandmasters in speed matches in the former Yugoslavia. He spent a career at UWO as a research laboratory technician under Dr. RGE Murray (Peter Murray's father) but his main passion was speed chess. He developed many strong players around him in unique fashion. Both me and Peter Murray (and others) would play him endless speed matches (20, 30, 40 games in a row) and pump him for his innos which we would use in tournament play. A belated thanks Dan! Dan was a 3 time winner of the London Championship but finished second countless times. After his long time wife Helen passed away Dan was never quite the same. Up until then Dan had played master strength chess (well into his seventies!) but after that you could see the decline. London players of those generations owe him a large debt. A belated rest in peace Dan - you are missed.

Re: Dan Surlan passed away

Rest in peace.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the passing of Dan Surlan. I played an active game against him about 10 years or so ago. I thought I was doing well in the game, but in the end, it was no contest.

Thank you Hans for the background information about Mr. Surlan.
      RIP Dan.

John Erickson
      Niagara Falls, Ontario:(

Comment

Sorry to hear of his passing.

Comment

Sad indeed.

I had the privilege of analyzing with Dan, and especially remember, and still use, his Exchange Lopez innovation for Black, that provided wins for me in many events. He was a respected and honorary member of my home Hamilton City Chess Club. Anecdotally, I recall Dan beating GM Walter Browne in the 1972 Ontario Open held in Hamilton - he also challenged Browne to play speed chess for money, and Browne shrewdly declined. Dan was a colorful personality, with a creative approach to chess that will be missed - particularly in this age of computer reliance.

Brian

Comment

Slight correction to my initial post. The nursing home was in Wardsville just down the road from Glencoe (about an hour west of London).

Comment

Working...
            X