Is Chess a Sport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Chess a Sport?

Many people think that it is not, but it is considered as such at the very top level. At least, this is what this interesting article suggests. It is taken from The New Indian Express, October 31 (yes, it is already October 31 in India).

If body and mind work, moves follow

By Rohan Sharma | ENS - CHENNAI

The game of chess is renowned for being a thinking man’s game, where clever strategy and foresight are the heavy artillery, while brute physical strength is not even considered eligible. However, not many people realise that a lot of physical training goes into the making of a chess champion.

Hours are spent in the gym training to make the body a willing servant through which the mind can impose its will.

The World Chess Championship is likely to showcase the myriad facets of the game at the highest level as Viswanathan Anand and Magnus Carslen face off.

World No 1 Carlsen is well known for playing long and physically taxing games and is usually reluctant to agree to draws – something that goes with his terrier-like approach. Since the championship is expected to be a demanding affair, the 43-year-old Anand has been cycling, swimming and walking in his bid to be prepared for his much younger opponent. “Anand can expect some long games against Carlsen. That will be demanding on his body and considering that, he has to be at his physical best,” says GM Dibyendu Barua.

Dr Sanjeev Sahni, sports psychologist, who has worked with more than a few top chess players, can walk the talk in this department.

“To be a top level player, one needs to have a combination of talents working in peak condition. The first few things that come to mind are good anticipation time, attentional focus and decision-making abilities. Each individual has an innate anticipation and focus, while taking decisions within a stipulated time helps in honing these strengths,” says Sahni.

“After that, one looks at neuromuscular coordination — the synergy between mind and body, and finally, electrodermal response, a change in the electrical properties of the skin in relation to stress.”

Sahni, a former Sports Authority of India scientist for 14 years, was known as ‘the electronic psychologist’ because of the psycho-diagnostic equipment that he helped develop for athletes back in the day.

“The problem is that in India we still think that one psychologist for an entire team is a good bargain, whereas abroad each player has one!” he exclaims.

The most overlooked part in chess is the need for the body to be a good medium. Many people dismiss chess or even golf as sport because it doesn’t fulfill their idea of physicality.

However, Dr Alok Pandey, avid chess player and psychologist feels that if the mind is in control then the physical will follow suit, but it is getting there that is difficult.

“One little distraction can cause a monumental change in the game. Players have to stay alert and manage the conditions better than their opponent. Walking from time to time helps in releasing any muscle spasm from continuous sitting and consistent movement of the eyelids prevents strain,” he advises.

Pandey, a retired Indian Air Force Wing Commander, argues that while being patient has its rewards, having body awareness is imperative to withstand the various pressures that are always trying to surface. “There is no way around developing oneself if one wants to compete at the highest level. In the end it has to be a synthesis of mind and body and that is the ultimate test.”

Re: Is Chess a Sport?

Unfortunately, I'd say that chess is missing a key component. It doesn't require any pure physical ability, unlike other sports.

Case in point: you can play chess with a computer mouse and screen as the only input/output method. You could play chess, indistinguishable from the real thing, with a tablet. Even worse, you could play chess while sitting perfectly still and dictating your moves.

To me, a sport requires at least 3 things. Skill, strength and endurance.

Chess does not require any strength.

Mathieu

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
      Unfortunately, I'd say that chess is missing a key component. It doesn't require any pure physical ability, unlike other sports.

Case in point: you can play chess with a computer mouse and screen as the only input/output method. You could play chess, indistinguishable from the real thing, with a tablet. Even worse, you could play chess while sitting perfectly still and dictating your moves.

To me, a sport requires at least 3 things. Skill, strength and endurance.

Chess does not require any strength.

Mathieu
      Hi Mathieu:

You have used examples of casual chess.

But I think those arguing chess is "sport" use chess in "tournament conditions".

There have been studies done, as far as I recollect, that have monitored elite tournament players physiologically. They established, I believe, that the energy output of chessplayers under tournament conditions was equal to those in other sports which we regularly consider physical - e.g. running.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        You have used examples of casual chess.

But I think those arguing chess is "sport" use chess in "tournament conditions".

There have been studies done, as far as I recollect, that have monitored elite tournament players physiologically. They established, I believe, that the energy output of chessplayers under tournament conditions was equal to those in other sports which we regularly consider physical - e.g. running.

Bob
        Good point. But even then, that could be in the 'endurance' category. Chess require a lot of stamina, but no real physical strength.

Comment

Good point. But even then, that could be in the 'endurance' category. Chess require a lot of stamina, but no real physical strength.
          Hi Mathieu:

I think that "sport" requires an extreme expenditure of energy, not just muscle movement. If this is true, then elite tournament chess players expend an extreme amount of energy, similar to what is expended in muscle using sports, and so chess is properly designated a "sport".

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Hi Mathieu:

I think that "sport" requires an extreme expenditure of energy, not just muscle movement. If this is true, then elite tournament chess players expend an extreme amount of energy, similar to what is expended in muscle using sports, and so chess is properly designated a "sport".

Bob A
            That's mostly false. The brain has a very high metabolism at rest, and any increase during intensive cerebral work is usually small, in the 10 to 25% range.

And a more specific example, taken from scientifically published work:

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/qu...ies-as-running

The data comes from:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18987876

Basically, playing chess is the same as sitting in front of your computer and working on an excel spreadsheet. Maybe excel could be recognized as an olympic discipline as well!

Comment

Guys, did you forget the last candidate tournament with a climax in the final rounds?
              Chess is a special sport. If you need physical activities start playing blitz with both hands :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                Guys, did you forget the last candidate tournament with a climax in the final rounds?
                Chess is a special sport. If you need physical activities start playing blitz with both hands :)
                The world's greatest athletes are Houdini, Stockfish, and Rybka.
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                  The world's greatest athletes are Houdini, Stockfish, and Rybka.
                  Are you saying that in future, when robots created that can play golf/ping pong/soccer/squash/badminton - that will mean all these sports are not sports anymore ?

Computers that can play chess does not mean that they are the greatest athletes....

Chess play at a real tournament requires strength in physical/mental/determination/perseverance/competitive to succeed....

Just because it could be a hobby to one does not mean it is not a sport....

Soccer/ping pong/badminton/golf are all hobbies to me....are these not sports then ?

Squash recently did not make into the Olympic ? does it make it any less sport than others ? no.....it's all about politics that it did not make it to the Olympics....it is played by so many countries in the world and it's getting popular by the day.....

Makes me wonder ....and wonder.....

Comment

There are many activities considered by the IOC (Interational Olympic Committee) to be sports that do not have physical components, I believe chess is one of them even though it does not have a role in the Olympics.
                    University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

By that logic, the world's fastest sprinter is Antron Brown - Pittsboro, IN '12 DSR (http://www.nhra.com/points/national-...ookieSupport=1)

Comment

Unfortunately, I'd say that chess is missing a key component. It doesn't require any pure physical ability, unlike other sports. Case in point: you can play chess with a computer mouse and screen as the only input/output method. You could play chess, indistinguishable from the real thing, with a tablet. Even worse, you could play chess while sitting perfectly still and dictating your moves. To me, a sport requires at least 3 things. Skill, strength and endurance. Chess does not require any strength.Mathieu
                        It's too bad that the International Olympic Committee, the publishers of Sports Illustrated magazine, and the sports federations of most developed nations did not have the benefit of your analysis when they declared chess to be a sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
                          It's too bad that the International Olympic Committee, the publishers of Sports Illustrated magazine, and the sports federations of most developed nations did not have the benefit of your analysis when they declared chess to be a sport.
                          Yup. And those sillies over at IMSA should just ... close up shop.

International Mind Sports Association
                          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
                            Yes, I know! ;)

Still, the study I cited earlier in the thread shows that chess is not more physically exerting than entering data in an excel spreadsheet.

Comment

Yes, I know! ;)

Still, the study I cited earlier in the thread shows that chess is not more physically exerting than entering data in an excel spreadsheet.
                              Is it known what was the other reason that during the first Kasparov-Karpov match why Karpov had a dramatic weight loss that wasn't linked to his chess exertion?
                              University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Working...
                              X