Hart House Chess Presents a Lecture by IM Raja Panjwani on Fri., Nov. 8th, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hart House Chess Presents a Lecture by IM Raja Panjwani on Fri., Nov. 8th, 2013

Hi Chess Friends,

I would like to let everyone know that IM Raja Panjwani is coming to Hart House on Fri., Nov. 8th, 2013 to do his first lecture! IM Panjwani's lecture will take place in the Hart House Reading Room (on the main floor of Hart House) and will be from 7:45pm-8:45pm. The lecture will be aimed at 1800-2000 level players and will include some peppering of funny stories from IM Panjwani's chess experiences. This is a free event for Hart House Chess Club members. The cost for non-members is $10 and payment can be made at the HUB in Hart House (which is right outside the Reading Room), before the lecture. We will be checking tickets and membership cards at the door.

Some info on IM Raja Panjwani
    IM Raja Panjwani (2409 FIDE) has been one of Canada’s top junior players for many years (he was the Canadian Junior Champion in 2009). He has been an International Master since 2009 and just recently earned his first Grandmaster norm. He is presently taking a year off from graduate studies at Oxford University to play chess full-time. Today, IM Panjwani is ranked number 14 in Canada among active players. He is coming to Hart House fresh from recently obtaining a Grandmaster Norm in The Spice Cup.

I hope many of you can make it!

Cheers,

Sanja Vukosavljevic - Secretary/President of The Hart House Chess Club

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HartHouseChessClub
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/HartHouseChess
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/harthousechess

Re: Hart House Chess Presents a Lecture by IM Raja Panjwani on Fri., Nov. 8th, 2013

Did IM Lawrence Day's lecture take place on November 1st?

Comment

Re: Hart House Chess Presents a Lecture by IM Raja Panjwani on Fri., Nov. 8th, 2013

Hi Hans,

IM Lawrence Day did do a lecture at Hart House on Friday, November 1st at 7:45pm. Lawrence is always a great lecturer and the audience was lucky to hear some truly hilarious anecdotes from his chess career. Since his first lecture at Hart House in the mid 1970s, IM Lawrence Day has come to our club more than half a dozen times and it is always a pleasure to have him. Last Friday everyone was having so much fun that we all got carried away with the time. It was a successful event, and at one point, I counted twenty-six people in the audience. Everyone that I talked to, said that they had fun. The front row was on the edge of their seats!

Some of the lectures that the Hart House Chess Club has this year will be open to everyone and others will be a special treat to primarily our members. However, no one will be ever be turned away.

IM Raja Panjwani's lecture is open to everyone and all are encouraged to come! I might even make cookies!

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I hope that everyone is excited about IM Raja Panjwani's lecture tomorrow. Just a couple of important updates.

1. IM Panjwani hasn't told me the topic of his lecture. However, he promised that none of us will be disappointed!
        2. The location of the lecture has been changed. It will now be in the South Dining Room in Hart House and not the Reading Room. This means that we will have very nice and comfortable chairs! We will also have someone in the Reading Room that will redirect people to the South Dining Room, so don't worry if you get lost.
        3. I was optimistic with my time. It is midterm season and I will not have time to make cookies unfortunately. Sorry everyone.

Hope to see everyone there for IM Panjwani's first ever lecture!!

Sincerely,

Sanja

Comment

Hi Chess Friends,

I just wanted to give everyone a brief summary on IM Raja Panjwani's lecture last Friday at the Hart House Chess Club.

IM Panjwani's lecture last Friday, November 8th was a great success. He showed three of his games to illustrate how to create the conditions for successful combinative play in a position to about thirty chess enthusiasts. This was followed by an exciting question and answer period. IM Panjwani's lecture at the Hart House Chess Club was incredibly entertaining, clear, well organized and engaging. He showed that he is a very knowledgeable as well as charming chess lecturer. We were all very appreciative that IM Panjwani chose the Hart House Chess Club to mark his chess lecture debut. We took a photo of his lecture which is now on our Instagram: http://instagram.com/p/geYz3nvLdC/

IM Panjwani is a new rising star in Canadian chess and he has a very good chance of being Canada's next GM, even Susan Polgar has praised his chess skills. I would like to mention one more time how much the Hart House Chess Club is thankful and fortunate to have such a chess player do his first lecture at our club.

Thank you all for coming.

Sincerely,

Sanja

Comment

Working...
          X