Pestano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pestano

Frank 'Boy' Pestano, long-time chess writer for the Philippine's 'Sun Star', has an amusing take on what our chess clubs need to do to increase membership (:

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/sport...e-drink-313761

Then again, beer didn't manage to save the Bayview Games Club, and the BGC was clearly, imho, the best chess club here in Toronto.

Re: Pestano

Beware of the loud music (if your speakers are on) which will start playing about 10 seconds after you start reading the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      Beware of the loud music (if your speakers are on) which will start playing about 10 seconds after you start reading the link.
      I *hate* websites (and web coders) that do that. IF I wanted noise I should ask for it - explicitly.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I keep the speakers turned off.

Comment

Sounds like it really couldn't hurt as long as there is a limit at the clubs. Getting a nice buzz while at a chess club sounds enjoyable to me, but people should really not be getting wasted or too drunk to be able to play (or cause other issues associated with excessive alcohol use, aggression, vomiting, etc...).
          University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
            Getting a nice buzz while at a chess club sounds enjoyable to me, but people should really not be getting wasted or too drunk to be able to play (or cause other issues associated with excessive alcohol use, aggression, vomiting, etc...).
            ... Yes, excessive alcohol use may lead to "drunken stupors" during which time a person might smoke crack cocaine, threaten to kill someone, and so on. Not that that sort of thing ever happens in Canada.
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

No need for any gimmicks at Scarborough Chess Club...But we could use a few more chairs...and a coffee machine.

Comment

At the RA we do not serve booze during the games but the adjacent Field House provide the ideal site for long, beer drenched post mortems noted for their incisiveness even if they are usually wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X