Anand's comments after Rd 6.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anand's comments after Rd 6.

In the press conference (which must be torture for the losing player), Anand mentioned that he would carry on by "doing his best".
    A subsequent question (from an unidentified idiot) asked him to elaborate on that and Anand defined "doing your best as doing your best" and
    remarked that he did not know why the journalist did not understand English.

LMAO - well done Vishy.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Anand's comments after Rd 6.

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    In the press conference (which must be torture for the losing player), Anand mentioned that he would carry on by "doing his best".
    A subsequent question (from an unidentified idiot) asked him to elaborate on that and Anand defined "doing your best as doing your best" and
    remarked that he did not know why the journalist did not understand English.

LMAO - well done Vishy.
    Hi Kerry:

I agree. I have posted a few places on FB that one has to consider that Vishy had effectively just lost his WC title in his fifth title contest. The journalist in my opinion was insensitive and ignorant.

Bob A

Comment

Game Six Press Conference

16 Nov 2013

[In the press conference after game six I assumed wrongly that the questions that irritated Vishy came from an Indian journalist. The transcript has just been released and he appears to be Norwegian. Probably unimportant – but this sets the record straight]
      ++++++++++

After game six, Magnus Carlsen and Viswanathan Anand took on questions from the Media. Here is the transcript:

Q: (FIDE Press Officer) Magnus what are your comments on this game?

A: (Magnus Carlsen) I thought I got a solid position out of the opening. Then at some point I was little bit better. But nothing much going on. He sacrificed or blundered a pawn. After that I got a good rook ending. I am not at all sure if it is winning. At this point I missed the whole h5 idea. I didn’t think you can really give up a pawn like that. May be I should play 43…h5 (instead of 43…Kf7) and press for a win eventually with Re7-e5. Now, it was a draw. I had one little trap. Which was my Kf4-Ke3 etc. Fortunately he went for it. It is very difficult. May be impossible to hold after that.

Q: (FIDE Press Officer) Here (after 59…f4) you think you were winning?

A: (Magnus Carlsen) May be. Without the pawns on b2 and c3 it will be a dead draw. His pawns seriously inhibit the rook and h3…f3 is coming very fast.

Q: (FIDE Press Officer) Where did you lose track in this position?

A: (Viswanathan Anand): Magnus pretty much summed it up well. It is here that I gave this check (57.Rg8+) and I thought it will go Rg4 and similar idea. But I just blundered into f4. And here 57.Rc8 is just a draw.

Q: (FIDE Press Officer) Speaking about the opening at which moment did not lost to fight for the advantage?

A: (Viswanathan Anand) Magnus’ manoeuvre with the knight was quite good. Then I started wondering what to do. Then I thought with Qg4 with the major pieces I could get a solid position. Then I don’t know … one mistake after the other.

Q: (Amit Karmarkar, Times of India) How is your mood after two successive victories?

A: (Magnus Carlsen) It is good. Today I got a pretty solid position early on. But I thought I should cut glass and win yesterday and to press him today. Today there was not much to risk. Fortunately I was little bit lucky and I won in the end. Obviously I am in a good mood now. I won two games and with six games to go that’s obviously a healthy lead.

Q: (Amit Karmarkar, Times of India) Anand, what is the trick to deal with this situation now?

A: (Viswanathan Anand) I mean, today was a heavy blow. I will not pretend otherwise. Nothing to be done. You just go on.

Q: (FIDE Press Officer) In some interview you said you know some ten thousand games. When you played with black which games did you recollected or remembered?

A: (Magnus Carlsen) Nothing particular. It is just that there are many types of plans in such positions. I just wanted to find reasonably a solid one.

Q: (FIDE Press Officer) He (Anand) said the manoeuvre with the knight was strong one.

A: (Magnus Carlsen) I have played the Breyer system (of the Ruy Lopez) a lot. Which is characterised by these manoeuvres. So that is nothing new to add.

Q: (Stefan Loeffler, Frankfurt Allgemeine) Vishy, what was the reasoning behind giving up the pawn? Why did you not stay put with say Qg3 for example?

A: (Viswanathan Anand) Well, what can I say. Some days goes like that.

Q: (Ebenezer Joseph, Shubhsandesh TV) Anand was it yesterday’s game that was lot of pressure on you?

A: (Viswanathan Anand) Yes, probably.

Q: (Ole Rolfsrud, NRK TV) Mr Anand, you said it was a blow to you. How will you now work out of this blow?

A: (Viswanathan Anand) Well you just do your best.

Q: (T.N. Ragu, Deccan Chronicle) Anand, sad day for India. You lost your second game and Sachin Tendulkar retired today? Any thoughts on Sachin?

A: (Viswanathan Anand) I was following what he was doing. But there are other things in my mind.

Q: (Ole Rolfsrud, NRK TV) I am still wondering if Mr Anand will elaborate by what you mean by doing your best again?

A: (Viswanathan Anand) Doing your best means doing your best. I don’t know why you don’t understand English.

FIDE Press Officer: Thank you for attending the press conference.

AICF Press Release November 16, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        LMAO - well done Vishy.
        I think Anand just misspoke out of anger over his second loss.
        Possibly that's why Carlsen smiled.

"Do your best" is an English idiom, one that might not be known
        by a member of the Norwegian press having to do an interview in
        English.

Comment

I suppose the journalist perhaps was only looking for an insight into Vishy's strategy for the rest of the match (though why would he reveal it?), much like journalists ask hockey coaches or players for such insights after a loss in a playoff match. I guess it goes with the job that many [sports] journalists are insensitive [to a loser's feelings (else assume they are made of steel )].
          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Yeah, I felt bad for Vishy. I'm rooting for him, but I fear nothing can stop Carlsens march to the championship. There are some who might condem Anand for the way he addressed the press guys question, but I'm not one of them.
            I hope he wins at least one game before the match is over, but I sort of doubt he will.

Comment

After game 7, Magnus also used the same "do my best" LOL

Comment

Some of the questions in the press conference after Round 7 were also really stupid. Essentially, the reporters were asking the players to reveal their strategies for the remainder of the match while their opponent sits next to them and takes notes lol

I think a post-game press conference after each round is really unecessary. Who wants to sit and talk about a game with reporters after losing what should have been a draw? When a player loses a heartbreaker, he needs to relax and move on, not explain to the world what his embarrassing mistakes were. Plus many of the questions that the reporters ask are ones that neither player want to answer to anyway.
                No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                  Some of the questions in the press conference after Round 7 were also really stupid. Essentially, the reporters were asking the players to reveal their strategies for the remainder of the match while their opponent sits next to them and takes notes lol

I think a post-game press conference after each round is really unecessary. Who wants to sit and talk about a game with reporters after losing what should have been a draw? When a player loses a heartbreaker, he needs to relax and move on, not explain to the world what his embarrassing mistakes were. Plus many of the questions that the reporters ask are ones that neither player want to answer to anyway.
                  I must admit that I have found almost nothing of value in the post-mortem press conferences - other than a chance to see and hear the lovely FIDE press officer A.K. :)
                  Occasionally, one sees the body language of Anand revealing that he is under extreme stress; Carlsen seemingly hardly ever changes his demeanor, but perhaps that is easy when you are winning the match...
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                  X