Downhill after 42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downhill after 42

It's apparently downhill after the age of 42 for the typical male chess player, at least according to the ensuing news item and study. If 42 truly is the mental apex of a chess player, it's downright 'scary' how good Carlsen just might get (:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/26061237.cms

Interestingly enough, of the current 48 2700+ FIDE rated players (current live rating), only 4 should be on the downward slope of their career. Those 4 would be Adams (42), Anand (44 next month), Ivanchuk (45 next March), and Gelfand (46 next June).

Re: Downhill after 42

Thoroughly depressing. Despite some factual errors (e.g. the current age difference at the WCC is not by any stretch the biggest in history. See Tal-Botvinnik for example.) it does unfortunately ring true. In my own case, I played for a few years in my late teens then gave up serious play for the next 40 years. On my return, I found that my thinking processes were measurably slower. The situation was not helped by the fact that the quality of play, especially among youngsters, had risen so dramatically. After an encouraging initial climb up the ratings, both FIDE and CFC, I have now slipped back. Fortunately, I enjoy following the games of others, such as Anand and Carlsen.
    Last edited by Gordon Ritchie; Wednesday, 20th November, 2013, 05:33 PM.

Comment

I got a call from our pensioners committee last week. They call once every year or two to get material for their news letter which is published about 10 times a year.

Probably they keep track of what we do and the person calling asked how my chess was going. I told him I'd retired from correspondence chess because I've gotten too old. He asked how I knew when I was too old. I found myself telling him that when I started losing games I should have been winning I realized I'd become too old.

There's nothing to stop me from playing events if I don't mind losing and watching my rating drop. Lots of players do it and play in the seniors events. I'm not at that point - yet.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
        Thoroughly depressing. Despite some factual errors (e.g. the current age difference at the WCC is not by any stretch the biggest in history. See Tal-Botvinnik for example.) it does unfortunately ring true. In my own case, I played for a few years in my late teens then gave up serious play for the next 40 years. On my return, I found that my thinking processes were measurably slower. The situation was not helped by the fact that the quality of play, especially among youngsters, had risen so dramatically. After an encouraging initial climb up the ratings, both FIDE and CFC, I have now slipped back. Fortunately, I enjoy following the games of others, such as Anand and Carlsen.
        Hamilton's best known player was Paul Vaitonis, Canadian Closed Champion in 1951 and 1957, seven times Lithuanian champion, and participant in the Chess Olympics for both Lithuania and Canada, and in the other Olympics for Lithuania as a pole vaulter. When I moved to Hamilton in 1976, someone asked if I had ever played Vaitonis and I remember saying "three times but it doesn't really count because he was already 50 the first time I played him." When I was fifty I recalled that with amusement; I had a different perspective then. But now with access on internet to Paul's early games, I see that I was right in 1976. He was better than me at all relevant ages and I would not have won those three games without the age difference.

Comment

In physical sports, ability tends to start going downhill around the mid thirties or so. Does that prevent older people from participating, or even playing competitively? Of course not! One simply has to adjust one's goals- for example from running a lifetime personal best 10k, to finishing in the top ten in your age category in a race, or just finishing the darn thing :) No different for mind sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
            It's apparently downhill after the age of 42 for the typical male chess player, at least according to the ensuing news item and study. If 42 truly is the mental apex of a chess player, it's downright 'scary' how good Carlsen just might get (:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/26061237.cms

Interestingly enough, of the current 48 2700+ FIDE rated players (current live rating), only 4 should be on the downward slope of their career. Those 4 would be Adams (42), Anand (44 next month), Ivanchuk (45 next March), and Gelfand (46 next June).
            Perhaps you would be interested in the following graph (Sonas, private communication) Shown is the average FIDE rating change per game by age of player and K factor (lower K factor corresponds to a higher rating).

It suggests that age 30 for higher rated players is when strength starts declining. Of course this includes all players, including those who are not professional and may not be intensively studying chess anymore.

(the picture attachment stuff seems to have changed - I'm not sure how to change the size)

Last edited by Roger Patterson; Thursday, 21st November, 2013, 03:18 PM. Reason: added "FIDE" for clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
              It suggests that age 30 for higher rated players is when strength starts declining. Of course this includes all players, including those who are not professional and may not be intensively studying chess anymore.
              Am I reading it correctly in concluding that higher rated players decline at a slower rate?

It would be interesting to look at data for players ... who did not start serious competitive play until they were older than 30. Does their rate of decline differ from players that started competitive play at a younger age? etc.
              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                Am I reading it correctly in concluding that higher rated players decline at a slower rate?

It would be interesting to look at data for players ... who did not start serious competitive play until they were older than 30. Does their rate of decline differ from players that started competitive play at a younger age? etc.
                yes. I would speculate though that this is because they are more likely to be "serious" chess players who put an ongoing effort into chess study.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                  In physical sports, ability tends to start going downhill around the mid thirties or so. Does that prevent older people from participating, or even playing competitively? Of course not! One simply has to adjust one's goals- for example from running a lifetime personal best 10k, to finishing in the top ten in your age category in a race, or just finishing the darn thing :) No different for mind sports.
                  One of the disadvantages of playing chess at a high level is the decline in ability. Most people accept that with aging comes a decline in physical abilities. But we like to think that mentally we are as sharp as ever, in fact imagine that because of experience we are better than ever. But as chess players, when the neurons just aren't clicking like they used to, there is no way to delude oneself that it isn't happening or to hope that the decline is limited to chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                    It's apparently downhill after the age of 42 for the typical male chess player, at least according to the ensuing news item and study.
                    This is certainly true, but not everyone is "typical". My rating increased from A class to Expert during my forties, peaking at over 2100 in 1992 at 48. And I kept my rating over 2000 and performed at 2056 gaining rating points, at the age of 66. Granted I only played four games in a six game tournament, taking two half point byes.

I am not claiming anything special, I am sure lots of players have done better and improved more at age. My point is that you don't know if you are "typical" until you give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Denis Allan View Post
                      One of the disadvantages of playing chess at a high level is the decline in ability. Most people accept that with aging comes a decline in physical abilities. But we like to think that mentally we are as sharp as ever, in fact imagine that because of experience we are better than ever. But as chess players, when the neurons just aren't clicking like they used to, there is no way to delude oneself that it isn't happening or to hope that the decline is limited to chess.
                      I still see moves about as well as ever (which of course was never anything near your level Dennis) at 69 until I get tired and then I start making blunders. Still I was able to win a one hour game last month and submission to Houdini afterwards showed no blunders on my part. Errors yes, of course, but none at or above the 1/2 pawn level. But tiredness comes quickly these days and certainly deteriorates my mental ability when it hits. The brain is part of the body, after all.

Thank goodness for the chess sites that let you practice tactics. I'm counting on them to stave off senility for a few years yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X