Kevin Spraggett on Chess - ( his blog )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kevin Spraggett on Chess - ( his blog )

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Luke:

Godwin's Law??? What is it?

Bob
    It goes something like this:

As a message board discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

This should not be taken as either an endorsement of what was written or a criticism. It is simply a reply to your question.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

More details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Comment

Hi all,

This commentary, together with the KS site does merit some consideration:

1, There are a few reasons why only two to four individuals do the “heavy lifting” on the CFC Executive in any given year. (Based on my experience of some 8 + years on the Executive I am quite willing to provide inside. I charge $200 an hour. Any offers)

2, Our rules stipulate that CDN Closed Championships are held to coincide with the FIDE cycle. Unfortunately FIDE changes its mind more often then most of us change our socks. (Ask me, I got caught with 2002 Zonal and I think we had two or even three Champions “in the hopper”.

3, If we do not get our fiscal house in order the CFC will not survive and not only the Canadian Closed will disappear. (This may actually not such a bad idea and has been discussed, informally but seriously. Nature does not like a vacuum, so no doubt a new National Organization would appear. Tricky questions are involved: Charitable Status, Governance, Set up with the Provinces etc.)

4, We do not “co ordinate” International Tournaments. What would this poor soul do that cannot be done by our FIDE rep, before lunch, maybe once every two weeks?

5, Why would GL 5 answer those questions? Nobody in “authority” in the CFC has been asked these questions as they are only posted on an unrelated site.

6, The attitude of KS towards the CFC comes out loud and clear: “Do not count me in.”

7, The picture of one of the absolute worst war criminals and criminals against humanity has nothing, whatever, to do with those discussion. The picture in this context demeans the victims. Please have it removed. (Larry, PLEASE!!)

8, “The current President taking responsibility for past mistakes” You are kidding, right? You do not believe in the original sin concept, do you?

Cheers
        Peter

[QUOTE=Anthony Cheron;7788]How to do the right thing?

Why are there only 'three people who are currently doing all the heavy lifting' at the CFC?
        Is this an excuse for : - not having a National Championship?
        - not preparing for the FIDE cycle?
        -which is more important? a balanced budget or upholding the FIDE requirements?
        -why is there presently not an 'Executive position of International Tournament Coordinator'?
        -will the next GL #5 ( soon to be released ? ) answer many of these questions? And if not , what then?

Some people believe that Kevin Spraggett "no longer has a hand or cares about" Canadian chess. His blog reveals the opposite to be true. His tone is of disappointment and dismay.

Comment

I donno, it wasn't nearly as insulting as his 'chess federations as icebergs'...

Comment

Peter S.: "[If-then]...the Canadian Closed will disappear. (This may actually not such a bad idea and has been discussed, informally but seriously."

with Goering?

Comment

But seriously, at one time the Canadian Closed was the whole reason for being of the federation. Then followed FIDE qualification. Only after Reykjavik '72 did the CFC get into "business" at all. This led to consistent conflict with almost all the top players and any other businesses that attempted to profit from chess. It was arguably a disaster for the promotion of chess in Canada. Kevin is only the most recent of disgruntled former champions like Biyiasas and Ivanov who moved away. Meanwhile the CFC appalls sponsors and evidently has little business sense anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Stockhausen View Post

Unfortunately FIDE changes its mind more often then most of us change our socks.
                So let us blame FIDE then , shall we? Perhaps we should remove our membership to FIDE?

3, If we do not get our fiscal house in order the CFC will not survive and not only the Canadian Closed will disappear. (This may actually not such a bad idea and has been discussed, informally but seriously. Nature does not like a vacuum, so no doubt a new National Organization would appear. Tricky questions are involved: Charitable Status, Governance, Set up with the Provinces etc.)
                Some people are in favour of this. A new organization.

5, Why would GL 5 answer those questions? Nobody in “authority” in the CFC has been asked these questions as they are only posted on an unrelated site.
                Well then, it would appear that nothing is being done re: FIDE cycle. Canada may well lose more than its entire 2.2 Zone status. Canada may have to beg in the future for a zone shared at the bottom of the barrel.

7, The picture of one of the absolute worst war criminals and criminals against humanity has nothing, whatever, to do with those discussion. The picture in this context demeans the victims. Please have it removed. (Larry, PLEASE!!)
                Then why did you duplicate it in your thread? This picture ( and others at the time )serves as a reminder that certain things in history should not be forgotten. The point to the parody is that new CFC presidents should not turn a blind eye to the past mistakes of the CFC.

8, “The current President taking responsibility for past mistakes” You are kidding, right? You do not believe in the original sin concept, do you?

Cheers
                Peter
                Good leaders take responsibility for past mistakes. Not such a hard concept to grasp. The present U.S. President may be a good example. Every once in a while a person who cares about chess becomes a CFC president. Last one that comes to my mind may have been John Prentice.

cheers

Comment

I find a good deal of the imagery on Kevin's site to be appallingly sexist. The Goering photo is certainly of questionable taste.

Comment

Peter is correct and I apologize to anyone who was offended by it

I was asked to look into this and I have determined that Peter is correct. I sincerely apologize to anyone who may have been offended by it. I can not be monitoring this board on a continuous basis but should you see something on this site that you believe to be totally unreasonable, please contact me via this board or send me an e-mail at bevand@chess-math.org and I will look into it.

Sincerely,

Larry Bevand

Comment

Hi Larry,
                      Thank you.
                      Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                        I find a good deal of the imagery on Kevin's site to be appallingly sexist. The Goering photo is certainly of questionable taste.

He has taken notice and has responded to the accusations of sexism :D

Comment

I expected he would take the bait...

Once a bully always a bully.
                          Last edited by Ken Craft; Monday, 23rd March, 2009, 07:31 AM.

Comment

I expected he would take the bait...

Once a bully always a bully.
                            I thought the reply to you was hilarious. I'm still laughing.

Bullying in chess isn't bad. It's worth points. Players trade on rating and reputation. Kind of the way it is.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

It was about as funny as the time Kevin accused me of being anti-semitic with his Zundel piece. Not unexpected from Kevin as I said above...

Comment

It was about as funny as the time Kevin accused me of being anti-semitic with his Zundel piece. Not unexpected from Kevin as I said above...
                                I must have missed that one as I rarely look at Kevin's Blog. Was it in reply to some chain yanking?

Anyhow, he does get you going. When a good chess player sees a weakness he exploits it. :)
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X