Cycc 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycc 2009

Would anyone be interested in sharing the room/cost for the Hotel Grand Pacific from July 20-24 it would be approx 160x4/2 + tax/2. If yes please contact me by email at kalra dot sanjiv at gmail dot com.

Does anyone know of an inexpensive way of getting to Victoria from Ottawa. Would the flight prices go down once we get closer to the date?

Re: Cycc 2009 Travel options

My experience with air fares from Ottawa or other cities in Canada to Victoria is the best time to purchase is 2-3 months before the travel dates. There are normally a few sales to take advantage of between Air Canada and West Jet. I recommend Air Canada as they have more direct flights across Canada including a Toronto - Victoria non stop direct flight. Many flights stop in Vancouver or Toronto on the way to Victoria.

If you or any one you know has any aeroplan miles, now is a good time to book your flight.

If anyone has aeroplan miles and would like to support juniors traveling to Victoria please consider using some of your miles to help out. Remember aeroplan miles now expire after a 12 month period of inactivity and after 7 years from the date of receiving those miles.

May as well use them for a worthy cause rather than giving them to Aeroplan. Support your hometown junior chess champions.

Some travel ideas posted earlier in Chesstalk

Air Travel
    Victoria has direct non stop service from Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Seattle. And connecting flights from every major airport in Canada. Sponsorship from a major Canadian airline has been requested. More information will be posted soon. Harbour to Harbour access is available from Vancouver by float plane or helicopter. Standby fares are sometimes available for students and adults. Float planes land within walking distance of the Hotel Grand Pacific. The Helijet runs a shuttle service to the hotel and is about 4 minutes away.

Car Travel
    Drive across the country. Gas looks like it will be a bargain. A great way to see a great country. Camp or stay in hotels across Canada. Finish the drive with a vacation on an island in the Pacific.

Air and Car Combination Fly and drive
    Flying part way and renting a car may be of interest. Drive and camp through the Rockies and BC. Fly into Calgary or Edmonton and rent a car for 10-14 days and enjoy BC and Victoria. The Canadian Open will be held in Edmonton before the CYCC in Victoria. There is (just) enough time between events to drive from Edmonton to Victoria.

In 2001 I traveled to the CYCC in Sackville, NB with my 2 sons. We flew to Montreal (reasonable air fare from Victoria) rented a car and drove the rest of the way. We camped (in a tent) across Quebec and New Brunswick. Some great cities and beaches to explore on the way. A great experience and reasonable cost.

Comment

Hi Brian,

Do you know what is the name of the hotel at the corner of Quebec St with Menzies St?

Thanks
      Andrei

Found it, is Embassy Inn?
      ________
      Gang Bang Tubes
      Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Re: Cycc 2009

I found a nice furnished room in a Single Family Home with access to full kitchen on Kijiji.ca Vicotria. It is 10 min walk to the hotel and costs 1/3 the pice of the hotel. Now need to find some inexpensive air tickets......;)...get there....maybe syracuse to seattle...

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjiv Kalra View Post
          I found a nice furnished room in a Single Family Home with access to full kitchen on Kijiji.ca Vicotria. It is 10 min walk to the hotel and costs 1/3 the pice of the hotel. Now need to find some inexpensive air tickets......;)...get there....maybe syracuse to seattle...
          Here is the update on flight tickets. Westjet and AirCanda have both reducted their prices for all routes including Ottawa to Victoria from $932 to $482.00 round trip. But this is valid upto Feb 12th Only.

Now here is the scoop.

With Westjet, you can buy the ticket now with your credit card at $482.00 or whatever it cost from your city. Then go around shopping for westjet credits. People are selling their westjet credit which can be transfered to your name for less 10% to 30% of the credit cost. Once you have collected the credits you need to pay for your ticket. Call up Westjet and tell them to apply this credit to your ticket. They will then refund you the original amount paid by you to your credit card. I hope this helps you in furhter reducing the reduced price. I did this and finally landed up paying $375.00 for the round trip from ottawa to victoria.

I landed up buying extra credits. So now I have $80.00 credit wih westjet, which I can pass on to you for maybe 80% of the cost.

Comment

this credit thing can work apparently but I have heard of people getting scammed as well. (you buy the credit from someone, by the time Westjet figures everything out and notifies you, that someone is long gone.)

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
              this credit thing can work apparently but I have heard of people getting scammed as well. (you buy the credit from someone, by the time Westjet figures everything out and notifies you, that someone is long gone.)

Sheesh...I didn't know you could sell these Westjet credits...is that the same thing as getting 2 flights for the price of one? If it is, I think I have a whole bunch that have to be used soon....it is a use it or lose it thing...I would be happy to sell them (if that is what we are talking about here) for 50% of their value...money goes to Chess'n Math, not me.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                Sheesh...I didn't know you could sell these Westjet credits...is that the same thing as getting 2 flights for the price of one? If it is, I think I have a whole bunch that have to be used soon....it is a use it or lose it thing...I would be happy to sell them (if that is what we are talking about here) for 50% of their value...money goes to Chess'n Math, not me.

Larry
                I wish I knew about this I would have bought this from you....Do you still have them?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

Larry
                  I checked with westjet on the companion ticket....You should be travelling that route and then you can take a free companion with you. It is not a credit and cannot be transfered...

Comment

Here is a nice place in Victoria costing anywhere between $30 to $60 speak to Sim, I think he is the manager there. He will give you a good deal.

Ocean Island Backpacker's Inn & Suites
                    email: info@oceanisland.com
                    phone: 1-888-888-4180
                    fax: 1-250-385-1780
                    address: 791 Pandora Avenue
                    Victoria, BC
                    V8W 1N9

Comment

Working...
                    X