Pascal Charbonneau in Bermuda Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pascal Charbonneau in Bermuda Open

According to chess Life #2, Pascal should write a blog for Chess Life online. However I can not find anything at uschess. At a different location somebody mentioned that he is at the top.

http://castlingqueenside.blogspot.co...n-round-4.html

Do you know more? (Bermuda Chess Association webpage looks like it was hacked)

Re: Pascal Charbonneau in Bermuda Open

From the final report:

"To settle that tie they do a blitz match. GM Charbonneau would face IM Cummings for first place. Andrei Moffat would face Conrad Ho for top Amateur. The playoffs turned into a Canadian affair. All four them are from Canada though Conrad and Pascal are currently in New York City.
    Charbonneau won his match 2-0, and Moffat won his match 1.5 – 0.5. The second game went into some line that forced three fold repetition early."

http://castlingqueenside.blogspot.co...n-results.html

Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Tuesday, 3rd February, 2009, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I had the pleasure of attending this year's Bermuda Open although my only distinction was to serve as Pascal Charbonneau's first victim as he put me away in the first round in less than 40 moves.
      Despite the presence of a number of fine Bermudian players (including the redoubtable Nick Faulks and Nigel Freeman) and a bevy of Americans, including GMs Nick de Firmian and Alexandre Ivanov and a number of strong IMs, the event turned into a Canadian celebration. As noted above, Canada's Charbonneau took the first prize with a blitz victory over David Cummings of Toronto. De Firmian and Ivanov followed half a point back. The under-2200 section was won by Andrei Moffat who beat fellow torontonian Conrad Ho in the blitz playoff. Finally, 10-year-old Bryant Tang (also of Toronto) won the prize in the lower section.
      Some very good chess was played and the Bermudian hospitality was, as always, spectacular. The event was run by veteran TD Carol Jarecki with her usual no-nonsense efficiency. In all, a delightful tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
        I had the pleasure of attending this year's Bermuda Open although my only distinction was to serve as Pascal Charbonneau's first victim as he put me away in the first round in less than 40 moves.
        Hi Gordon,
        The number of moves doesn't matter. It's the quality of the moves. :)

There are two things I hate. One is when I'm on the losing side of a miniature. That's 24 moves or less (I think is the definition). The other is when an opponent makes a title norm in his game against me.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Here is Pascal's report http://main.uschess.org/content/view/9112/517/

Comment

Gary:
            Put it another way: The outcome was never in doubt!
            Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              Hi Gordon,
              There are two things I hate. One is when I'm on the losing side of a miniature........
              on the other hand - being on the winning side is sweet, particularly as the underdog. As the thread is Bermuda Open and Pascal, I can't resist....

[Event "Bermuda Open 2002"]
              [Site "Bermuda"]
              [Date "2002.02.??"]
              [Round "4"]
              [White "Patterson, Roger"]
              [Black "Charbonneau, Pascal"]
              [Result "1-0"]
              [ECO "B47"]
              [WhiteElo "2173"]
              [BlackElo "2386"]
              [PlyCount "35"]
              [EventDate "2002.02.24"]
              [SourceDate "2002.02.24"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 e6 4. d4 cxd4 5. Nxd4 Qc7 6. Be2 a6 7. O-O Bb4 $2 8.
              Nxc6 $16 Bxc3 9. bxc3 bxc6 10. Qd4 Nf6 11. Ba3 $18 d5 12. exd5 cxd5 13. c4 dxc4
              $6 14. Rab1 Bb7 15. Bxc4 Bc6 16. Rfd1 Bd5 17. Bxd5 Nxd5 18. Qa4+ 1-0

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                David Cummings of Toronto.
                Does he plan to play more often? (His last tournament was Canadian Open in 2003 according to CFC ratings)

Comment

Yes, this was my first tournament since Kapuskasing 2003. I'm not sure when my next one will be, but hopefully before 2015.. :)

Comment

Working...
                  X