Niagara Falls Open 2014!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niagara Falls Open 2014!!

Just a quick note to let everyone know that the Niagara Falls Open will be held on April 12th & 13th. Details to follow.

John Erickson
    Niagara Falls, Ontario
    TD/Org

Re: Niagara Falls Open 2014!!

Here is the Flyer:

Niagara Falls Open

April 12 & 13, 2014
    Niagara Shrine Club
    5621 North St.
    Niagara Falls
    Ontario
    (Next to Greater Niagara General Hospital)

Type: 5 Round Swiss

Rounds: Sat. 9:00 AM, 12:30 PM & 4:00 PM. Sun. 10:00 AM & ASAP.

Time Control: Rounds. 1- 3 G/90 Rounds. 4- 5 30/90 then SD/ 60

Byes: Two ½ Points available Rounds 1 – 3 only

Entry Fee: Seniors (65+yrs) Juniors(<18yrs) $45, rest $50

Prizes: $$BEN, Unrated participants, only eligible for unrated prize, if applicable.

****Bring Chess Boards, Sets and Clocks.****

Registration by e-mail jeswifty@hotmail.com up to 10:00 p.m. on 11th April, 2014

Registration by regular mail to:
    John Erickson
    4-6453 Colborne St.
    Niagara Falls
    ONTARIO
    L2J 1E7

Regular mail entries to be received by 10th April, 2014
    On site registration between 8:00 - 8:45AM on 12th April 2014. Late fee $5 added.
    Cash only, at site.
    Site is Non Smoking.
    ****Bring Chess Boards, Sets and Clocks.****
    CFC membership required.
    Memberships can be purchased on site.
    Junior memberships need proof of age.
    Last edited by John Brown; Monday, 9th December, 2013, 07:34 AM. Reason: font changes

Comment

Niagara Falls open falls on the same date as CMA OCC ( Apr 13 ). Last year Niagara Falls open saw quite a number of juniors playing. With the OCC falling on he same date, I guess they may have to make a decision which one to play which is a shame, isn't it ?

Can this be avoided ? April 27 seems to be a free day of chess so far.....

Would love to be at both tournaments....

Comment

Hi Gary;

Niagara Falls Open 2014 date was decided in April 2013 and was posted on chess talk when John Erickson made his last post at that time.
        We will not be changing our dates to accommodate the CMA OCC.

Comment

Mar 8-9 - Aurora Open
          Mar 15-16 - Kitchener Open
          Mar 29-30 - Guelph Open
          April 5-6 -
          April 12-13 - Niagara Falls Open & CMA OCC ( Apr 13 ) - conflict
          April 18-20 - Toronto Open
          April 26-27 -
          May 4 - CMA Grand Prix III
          May 10-11 - OYCC ( for juniors only )

Comment

Assuming all kids will play at Ontario Chess Challenge, Niagara Falls Open will be the first ever AOCT Adult Only Chess Tournament (excluding of course Canadian Seniors Championship)

:)

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
              Hi Gary;

Niagara Falls Open 2014 date was decided in April 2013 and was posted on chess talk when John Erickson made his last post at that time.
              We will not be changing our dates to accommodate the CMA OCC.
              Hi John

Why don't you talk to CMA organizer ? This way a win win situation can be arrived.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                Assuming all kids will play at Ontario Chess Challenge, Niagara Falls Open will be the first ever AOCT Adult Only Chess Tournament (excluding of course Canadian Seniors Championship)

:)
                http://chess.ca/crosstable?tournamen...015&key=140123

Looking at last year tournament, there were 36 players out of which 1/3 are kids. It was a great tournament which I guessed most players agreed. it will definitely missed by the juniors who will be missing the tournament this year.

Gary

Comment

Hi Gary;

Chess & Math do their own thing and if they want to run a big event that weekend it is their choice.

Niagara Falls Open is normally the weekend before Easter when it comes in April. Otherwise it is usually the second weekend in April.

We have a limited space and we have a great site, which we do not want to lose. Also our event has to be booked early to secure a spot. There would be no guarantee
                  we can change it on short notice. If we don't get the juniors, our spaces may be filled with more adults who tend not to play when too many juniors enter.
                  Each year we have gained some new CFC members, some adults and some juniors.

We are running a chess event. That is all we want to do. We are not interested in who plays as long as we can provide the Chess community with a tournament in April that is at low entry fees. Who can predict how many Juniors will play in CMA OCC? Some may decide that Niagara Falls is a better choice.

If you and your son are so interested in playing chess that weekend, why not play 3 rounds at the Niagara Falls Open, withdraw and play Sunday in Toronto. That way you'll get chess all weekend.

Comment

Hi Gary:

The reason we can't change the date of the Niagara Falls Open is that I won't be able to be there. I organize the tournament with help from John Brown. I work weekends and getting a weekend off is extremely difficult. If I could get weekends off, I would play a whole lot more tournaments including the Guelph tournament this coming weekend. I also have a couple of friends who wouldn't be able to play either as they work at the same place I do.

This tournament was booked last year at this time and is one day off of last year's event. This tournament has been around for 10 years now and has been at this new time for the last 4 years. The organizer of OMA CC should have let everyone know the date they had planned and found out if there were any conflicts pending. If they had done that, I would have let them know.

I wish that you and the many other juniors could play, but that is a decision they and their parents will have to make.

Take care and maybe you can play next year.

John Erickson
                    Niagara Falls, Ontario

Comment

Hi John

Thanks for the update n I appreciate it very much. Thanks for organizing the tournament for ten years now n I am sure most participants have enjoyed playing there throughout these years.

All the best in the coming tournament

Gary

Comment

We have started to get a few email entries.
                        When we get 15 or more we will start posting a pre-registered
                        list.

Comment

Sign me up John.
                          Is that 15 yet?

Comment

Thanks Bob you have been counted. Sorry we still need a few more to get that magic #15.

Comment

We now have 12 confirmed and when we get 3 more we can post our preregistered list.

Comment

Working...
                              X