Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fyi - regarding spambots posting on hundreds of profiles here on ChessTalk

Hi ChessTalk friends:

Some of you may have noticed the spam being posted on hundreds of profiles here on ChessTalk. As moderator, all I can do is to delete the spam manually. I would be doing nothing else (I tried for 30 min or so last night but it was pointless. It is an automated robot that just keeps posting over and over again.) if I did that.

I've sent Larry a message but if any of you are in touch with him then it would be helpful to let him know that this is becoming a problem here. The Activity Stream/What's New? feature is pretty well worthless because of the endless spam. The blogs have been the same way for some time.

Nigel Hanrahan
    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Saturday, 30th November, 2013, 01:26 PM.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Re: fyi - regarding spambots posting on hundreds of profiles here on ChessTalk

Update/upgrade needed.

torontochess.org website recently had a huge interest by various bots. As I found out several days ago some security updates were released.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hits.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	185609 (click to enlarge)

Similar activity was before the site upgraded to a new version.

Comment

Regarding Spambots

Nigel, you have a truly thankless job sometimes.

I often look to see Who’s Online and see subjects like asimsjordan, Oreo 5 and Jordan’s Lady. I suppose these are all running shoes for sale – I never check.

One day I expect to see little spambots wearing tiny running shoes run out the bottom of my computer!

I wish there were some way to clean this infestation up. Perhaps other online forums have found a way..

Comment

thankless AND hopeless!

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
        Regarding Spambots

Thankless and hopeless. I find that the hopeless part helps me to relax. If there's nothing I can do, why worry? :D
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
          Regarding Spambots

I often look to see Who’s Online and see subjects like asimsjordan, Oreo 5 and Jordan’s Lady. I suppose these are all running shoes for sale – I never check.

One day I expect to see little spambots wearing tiny running shoes run out the bottom of my computer!

I wish there were some way to clean this infestation up. Perhaps other online forums have found a way..

Perhaps the running shoes are the Ivanov brand. You know... the ones that can fit a smartphone into the sole... and that come with pamphlet showing the Morse code values... :D
          Only the rushing is heard...
          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
          X