Wanda Chow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanda Chow

Wanda Chow has apparently won "a number of awards for her writing" but her venture into chess writing is burdened with factual errors. Jeremy Hui didn't finish "4th" at the CYCC; he actually finished 10th. And it's hard to believe a 1985 TPR at the Cdn Open (below his 2036 TPR at the CYCC) "impressed the judges enough to be added to Team Canaa". At least Bindi's comments put things in proper perspective.

http://www.burnabynewsleader.com/news/234258081.html

Re: Wanda Chow

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
    Wanda Chow has apparently won "a number of awards for her writing" but her venture into chess writing is burdened with factual errors. Jeremy Hui didn't finish "4th" at the CYCC; he actually finished 10th. And it's hard to believe a 1985 TPR at the Cdn Open (below his 2036 TPR at the CYCC) "impressed the judges enough to be added to Team Canaa". At least Bindi's comments put things in proper perspective.

http://www.burnabynewsleader.com/news/234258081.html

This tendency towards factual errors is something that you expect with any media contact. I have noticed this since the first time that I was interviewed for chess in my teens. We should be happy that chess is enjoying some share of mind in the mainstream media.

The misconception that you are tied for 4th if you finished as part of the fourth score group is not confined to the reporter. I shared some emails with parents and coaches that were sure that their child or student had finished higher than was reported because they had tied for the third or fourth score group. In the end we had to agree to disagree. People become quite irate when it is correctly pointed out that if there are four people tied for first then you are not tied for third.

Comment

Also, WYCC is not in Dubai. It is in the city of Al Ain, in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, in UAE. Dubai is the neighbouring emirate.

Comment

Hard to understand why people get this wrong, since the same principle applies to most (maybe all) sports. If three football teams finish the season with 20 points, the next team with, say, 12 points is in fourth place, not second.

Comment

Working...
        X