Raja Panjwani playing in London Chess Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raja Panjwani playing in London Chess Classic

Raja Panjwani is playing in London Chess Classic. In rd 5 he has 3 points from 4 but is playing a CM rated 2161?? (everybody else in his point group seems to be playing IM's or GM's). Does this wreck his GM norm chances?

Re: Raja Panjwani playing in London Chess Classic

Go Raj! Where's the love guys? Last time I checked he seemed to be doing pretty well in a pretty prestigious tournament. No losses!

Comment

Raja definitely cannot make a GM norm in this London Classic Open Swiss event, with the players he has played to date, since there have been too many lower-rated opponents. But he is well-placed to compete for the title or a high placing, with 4.5/6, and three rounds to go. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
        Raja definitely cannot make a GM norm in this London Classic Open Swiss event, with the players he has played to date, since there have been too many lower-rated opponents. But he is well-placed to compete for the title or a high placing, with 4.5/6, and three rounds to go. :)
        Why not? If he wins today (white vs. 2534) he has a VERY good chance to get a norm.

Comment

I like Raja's position. Iso d pawn, bad bishop and potentially open a-file. Seems easier to play for white. Hopefully its enough to win!

Comment

I stand corrected by Victor; I thought the lower-rated players were UNRATED, of which a norm aspirant can play only one! :)

Comment

Raja drew by perpetual check, in round 8 on the Black side of a wild and crazy Alekhine's Defence game against GM Khatanbaatar. However, his performance rating for the event, while strong at near 2500, is now too low, even if he is paired with a strong GM in round 9 and wins, to crest over the needed 2600 for a GM norm.

Live games at http://www.londonchessclassic.com/festival_events.htm, and follow the arrow.

Comment

Are the London organizes offsetting costs by charging entrance fees to the increased number of players?

It no longer has the feel of an elite GM tournament.
                atlantarhinoplastycritic.com

Comment

Should be interesting to see who ends up being selected on the upcoming Olympiad team considering there's a large group of candidates all within the 2450-2500 FIDE range.

Comment

With match points it's best to select players who can win or draw. Loses have to be overcome. One lost games means 2 1/2 from the remaining 3 games are needed to win the match.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      With match points it's best to select players who can win or draw. Loses have to be overcome. One lost games means 2 1/2 from the remaining 3 games are needed to win the match.
                      Wow. I didn't know ...

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                        Wow. I didn't know ...
                        The nations whose teams finish in the top 10 know.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                        X