The greatness of Susan Polgar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatness of Susan Polgar

I've read, over the years, comments in which the grumpy complaint is made that allowing women to play in "men's" chess tournaments is somehow unfair. Women, it is said, not only have their own events but can play in "men's" events as well. Unfair.

I understand that this is a tiny minority. But it's worth debunking. And the history is particularly interesting.

Originally posted by Renata Holcmann
    According to Susan (Polgar), her the most painful experience was when she was denied the chance to compete in the Men’s World Chess Championship, -after qualifying for it from the overall Hungarian Championship- providing her an unreasonable explanation that it was only for men and she could not represent Hungary. The most shocking fact was that she was officially the #1 ranked female player on the July 1984 world rating list, but still FIDE would not allow her to play. I can only imagine the sadness she must have experienced at that time, but she turned her frustration to strength and from then on -because of this unfair treatment-, she tirelessly fought for equality in chess. In the 1986 FIDE Congress she finally achieved that they officially changed the name of this event, leaving the “Men’s” part out of it and making the title the World Chess Championship. The World Champion is just the World Champion. So due to Susan’s incredible success in chess and her courage to stand up and fight for her beliefs, today girls and women can compete in chess tournaments among men.
    So, historically, women were prohibited from playing in "men's" events even if they were the best player, period.

We now have a situation in which we have "open" sections, in which both men and women can play, and women's sections created for the purpose of assisting in the development of women's chess. And the latter makes sense, seeing as how the kinds of prohibitions that Susan Polgar faced had been in place for a very long time (and for other reasons) . We also have segregated sections in youth chess events which may, at some point, undergo further evolution. (It's misleading, therefore, to refer to "men's" events as if the prohibition against women playing in such (non-existent) events still applied.)

So, next time some fool tries the worn-out misogynistic argument about the "unfairness" wrt women's chess, you can remind them that it took the struggle by no less a champion than Susan Polgar to overturn the tradition of prohibiting women from even competing for titles such as the (overall) World Championship. And the arrangement that now exists is the result of those kinds of struggle.

Renata Holcmann interviews Susan Polgar
    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Sunday, 22nd December, 2013, 05:49 PM.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Re: The greatness of Susan Polgar

I heartily endorse these comments. Susan Polgar is one class act!

Comment

Working...
    X