What might you pay for new opening analysis by 2200+ CFC players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What might you pay for new opening analysis by 2200+ CFC players

This is a multiple choice poll to try to gauge what chesstalk respondents might be willing to pay for new opening analysis done by Canadian players rated 2200 or higher (even in this modern age of chess engines, databases and the internet).

Respondents can choose from my guesses of what they typically might (at the least) pay 2200-2399 CFC opening analysts (or 2400-2599 CFC analysts, or 2600+ analysts) for a full typed printout page of new opening analysis, in an opening ECO code and/or variation that they would wish new (private) analysis for. The analysis could conceivably include written explanations of moves.

As this poll is only meant to give a crude idea of the possible demand, discussion, as usual, is welcome.
    I might pay a 2600+ CFC player at least $40 per page
    3.45%
    I might pay a 2400-2599 CFC player at least $20 per page
    3.45%
    I might pay a 2200-2399 CFC player at least $10 per page
    3.45%
    I might pay a 2600+ CFC player at least $20 per page
    3.45%
    I might pay a 2400-2599 CFC player at least $10 per page
    6.90%
    I might pay a 2200-2399 CFC player at least $5 per page
    3.45%
    I wouldn't be interested in paying a 2600+ CFC player even $20 per page
    13.79%
    I wouldn't be interested in paying a 2400-2599 CFC player even $10 per page
    13.79%
    I wouldn't be interested in paying a 2200-2399 CFC player even $5 per page
    48.28%
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: What might you pay for new opening analysis by 2200+ CFC players

There might be different definitions of "page" to different players. And one analyst may produce one "page" of analysis for one move; another may use that page for several moves.

Comment

Hi Hugh

In my original post I mentioned a typed printout page, i.e. a standard printer sized page was implied. The moves are to be typed, and a 'full page' was mentioned as being standard for the rate of pay (naturally a customer could specify a maximum or a minimum number of pages, in any detailed negotiations). The customer could naturally refuse to pay for a single typed move [edit: or even a page of analysis of just one move, perhaps], and would likely not lose if there was a civil case. In any case, it would prove bad for business for the 2200+ player if he tried such a thing.

I recall Erik Malmsten mentioning on chesstalk one time that people used to sell private opening analysis, at least back in the day. It's possible that some master in Toronto had his own analysis on the Najdorf, for example, and mentioned to a class player friend "Psst... wanna buy some hot stuff on the Poisoned Pawn"?
      Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 25th December, 2013, 10:01 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

The prices you've listed seem much more expensive than chesspublishing.com.
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Hi Peter

Here's a link to chesspublishing.com's rates (etc.) that you refered to:

http://www.chesspublishing.com/subscribe.html

I guess my question would be, if you emailed a given opening expert there, would they charge you extra for page(s) of private analysis sent only to you?

I based my guesses for my poll question options partly on hearing of Canadian IM(s) who charge $20-25 an hour for lessons. I estimate it might take an hour (at least) to come up with a page of worthwhile new opening analysis from scratch, even assisted by computers and books, assuming it was about of the same value as a lesson that took the same length of time to carry out, with preparation time [edit: and teacher travel time] not factored in.
          Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 25th December, 2013, 09:12 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Working...
          X