Congrats World Youth Champion Harmony and her coach Nikolay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats World Youth Champion Harmony and her coach Nikolay

Many of us expected the genius of music and chess, a lovely girl Harmony Zhu be a world youth chess champion since she made impressive performance in Slovenia, and she is world champion now, congratulations to her and her parents, also her coach Nikolay(his other girl student from Windsor also made impressive performance this time).
    Last edited by George Zhou; Saturday, 28th December, 2013, 12:59 PM.

Re: Congrats World Youth Champion Harmony and her coach Nikolay

Indeed, George! And for those few who may not know which Nikolay you're referring to, that would of course be Nikolay Noritsyn.

Comment

This is great for Canada. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Congratulations to our new U8 Girls World Chess Champion Harmony Zhu and our new WFM!!!

Will Harmony be considered for 2014 Women Chess Olympic Team? In my opinion, she should seriously be considered.

GO CANADA GO!
        Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Saturday, 28th December, 2013, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
          Congratulations to our new U8 Girls World Chess Champion Harmony Zhu and our new WFM!!!

Will Harmony be considered for 2014 Women Chess Olympic Team? In my opinion, she should seriously be considered.

GO CANADA GO!
          Given Harmony's current CFC rating of circa 1835 (after her SCC 'Falling Leaves Swiss' TPR of 2060 gets rated), and obviously still very much on the upswing, your suggestion would certainly seem to have merit, Mikhail. She's already the #11 rated female player in Canada and there's only a few of those names above her who likely have the time and inclination for an Olympic appearance. Given her international success these past 2 WYCCs (top 7-year-old in 2012 and top 8-year-old in 2013), I think it would bode well for our future Olympic teams to have Harmony playing the 4/5 board in 2014.

Comment

Harmony's press conference can be found at this link;
            Time in 3 hours, 24 minutes into the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgOvG8rHNBA

Gerry

Comment

A magnificent achievement for Harmony! Congratulations!

Comment

Delightful. This kid is a star.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                  Delightful. This kid is a star.
                  Her parents are the real stars. A parent molds his children.

A job well done Mr. and Mrs. Zhu.

Comment

Congratulations Harmony! What a talented young lady and a sweet girl.
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

A hilarious tidbit from the press conference that had me LMFAO:

Left Interviewer: Do you have a personal coach at the moment? Chess Coach?
                      Harmony: Yes.
                      LI: If it is not secret can you tell us about your coach?
                      Harmony: He's a very good coach. He taught me many nice things.
                      LI: Is he a grandmaster? or he is not?
                      Harmony: <Looking confused> I don't know.
                      Right Interviewer: What is your coach's name? Because I think your coach deserves some credit here for the excellent...
                      Harmony: <interrupting> Oh, oh by the way, you know I have a pet guinea pig, and his name is Scrumptious.
                      RI: Scrumptious!?
                      Harmony: He's a white guinea pig.
                      RI: White guinea pig!?
                      Harmony: Yeah, right now he's back at my home.
                      RI: Does he know how to play chess?
                      Harmony: <smiling> No.
                      RI: Are you going to teach him to play chess?
                      Harmony: I will try but I am not sure if he can learn it.
                      RI: Maybe he will become guinea pig chess world champion one day.
                      Harmony: <smiling> Maybe!?

Thanks for the link Gerry, that was awesome!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
                        A hilarious tidbit from the press conference that had me LMFAO:

Left Interviewer: Do you have a personal coach at the moment? Chess Coach?
                        Harmony: Yes.
                        LI: If it is not secret can you tell us about your coach?
                        Harmony: He's a very good coach. He taught me many nice things.
                        LI: Is he a grandmaster? or he is not?
                        Harmony: <Looking confused> I don't know.
                        Right Interviewer: What is your coach's name? Because I think your coach deserves some credit here for the excellent...
                        Harmony: <interrupting> Oh, oh by the way, you know I have a pet guinea pig, and his name is Scrumptious.
                        RI: Scrumptious!?
                        Harmony: He's a white guinea pig.
                        RI: White guinea pig!?
                        Harmony: Yeah, right now he's back at my home.
                        RI: Does he know how to play chess?
                        Harmony: <smiling> No.
                        RI: Are you going to teach him to play chess?
                        Harmony: I will try but I am not sure if he can learn it.
                        RI: Maybe he will become guinea pig chess world champion one day.
                        Harmony: <smiling> Maybe!?

Thanks for the link Gerry, that was awesome!!
                        so cute, she is a gift for Canada Chess despite she pays more attention on piano than chess, many chess people may not be aware, Harmony also won 1st place in piano competition at Carnegie Hall in New York this year

Comment

Congratulations Harmony. A most deserving champion.

I am so glad you won. Now my narrative can change,
                          to: I had chances against a world champion. :)

I look forward to our next game.

Comment

Yes with Harmony's new rating of 1835 and her recent accomplishments hopefully will play its role in selection process, Jack. Board #4 or #5 would be great for Harmony to get more international exposure, if she gets selected. Harmony will definitely will be great addition to 2014 Olympic Team!

Comment

Congratulations to Harmony on her world championship win and to her coach Nikolay Noritsyn who had his moment of glory interrupted by a white hamster named Scrumptious. Put a camera on a child and you never know what thought will pop up next.

Comment

Working...
                              X